1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dawn, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,128.7
    Are you a more sympathic person, or a more empathetic person? When faced with your own troubles, do you prefer that people sympathise, or emphathise with your position? Or would you prefer to keep yourself to yourself?

For those who are not entirely clear of the distinction - because the two words are used interchangably in modern society and it can be VERY confusing even if you do know the difference - sympathy is feeling compassion/pity for another person, whearas empathy is the ability to understand what another person is feeling and experiencing it for yourself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Sympathy is usually useless unless it sparks action and tangible help, so I try to be more empathetic, but I have two personal problems with that. One is that my empathy I think is often interpreted as sympathy, and the other is that I have a hard time being in an empathetic mode for situations I've never encountered. After all, how do you understand what you've never experienced? I just do my best where I can, but sometimes things are out of my individual reach, and I guess it's times like that I resort to sympathy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I'm definitely more of a sympathetic person, both in receiving and giving. I'm not really an empathetic person, and I don't know if I want to be (my sister is really empathetic, and she often gets more distressed from someone else's pain than they do). When I see that someone has a problem, I feel bad for them, and I may offer to help them, but I don't really say that I know how they feel, because I don't. I barely understand my own emotions sometimes, let alone someone else's. And when I'm the one that needs comforting, I still prefer sympathy, for the most part. I've had people try to be empathetic with me before, and it's kind of hit and miss. Sometimes, I can be encouraged. Other times though, I just get even more upset, because what helped them with their similar situation may not help with mine. Sometimes it's just nice to have a shoulder to cry on though.

4. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,712.1
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I’ve always attributed my lack of empathy to my autism. It’s one of the most common traits and it explains a lot. I find it hard to relate to people that aren’t autistic and I’ve never cried from a game, movie, or book.

At the same time, I do feel sympathy for other people. If I hear someone say they are struggling with something, I almost always feel bad for them.

#4 Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019