1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

I'm old

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dawn, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    This topic was not brought on by my overwhelming anxiety about approaching middle age or the realisation in the car this morning that it was actually 20 years ago that it was 1998 and not 10. Nope. Not at all.

LV, let's talk about age, the measuring of the passage of time one has been alive that is a terrifying concept to some (typically those who are realising that time IS passing and they're not as young as they used to be), just a number to others (those old enough to have gotten used to it), or not something often thought about at all (by those too young to know better).

So how old are you, and how old do you feel by comparison? Does it feel like only yesterday you were several years younger, or do you still feel young at heart? Has your age ever affected your self-perception, or the way you conduct yourself? Do you still rejoice when your birthday comes around, or groan in despair?

...also how old do you have to be, in your estimation, before you can say that you're old? How old is "old" to you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Moonstruck-Mist

HoverBoots
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽544.9
    This is a topic I talk to myself about a lot. As just 15 year-old, I'm still relatively young, but my family generally lives for a good turn of the century, occasionally just above such amounts of time. But mentally, I still call myself seven, and at heart, twenty. Over the years, I've grown to look at myself as an individual, but also as a "satellite state," which is a country that depends on another. This has changed with the past months, especially with being more social and going around a lot more to actually learn about humans as a whole, and so I think I might have mentally grown over the past months, maybe.

But in terms of old, heck no. I'm still young and spry, and I have a long time ahead of me. And even then, my time for being "old" doesn't arrive until about 80 years of life. As I said, we live for a long time, and so I believe a good portion of that is being young and middle-aged (somewhere around 45-50 for me)

So, in the end, I guess the years have changed me, if not for better then for worse, but as a growing person, I know that I will change over the years. I'm no longer excited to celebrate another year here, but I'll happily do so for others, if they wish. I guess... I guess I'm just saying I'm okay with what's going on right now. I'm okay with aging, with coming closer to the end of a story... I hope that's an okay answer...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I'm 22, but I still feel like I did when I was 17. My dad keeps on telling me that I've grown and changed a lot these past five years, but I can't really see it.
    I'm well aware just how young I am. I have a hard time imagining that there are a lot of people my age who are married, and just get anxious at the thought that people my age already have a kid or two. I still feel like a child myself, and just can't imagine having a kid yet.
    I keep on feeling like there's more that I need to do with my life, that I should be in a better place than I am, but I just keep on reminding myself that I'm still young, I have time. I don't have to 'grow up' the same way that my siblings did. I can take my time. Slow progress is still progress, after all.
    I have no idea what age I consider to be 'old'. I think it is more of a behavioral thing than an age thing. I sometimes think of my grandpa, who is in his seventies, as old, but then he surprises all us grandkids and jumps into a swimming pool.

4. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I’m sixteen going on seventeen. I consider old to be sixty or older, so not even close. When I’m around other people my age, I feel significantly older. I think that’s attributed to being raised by older parents.

#4 Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  5. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I just turned 21 not too long ago, and I don't really feel like an adult. In many ways, I still act like a kid, but I'm not ashamed for the way I act sometimes. I think the age of becoming 'old' is around 60-70.

6. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    You guys are definitely not old! I'm 27, turning 28 in April haha. Sometimes I feel old now that I'm in my upper-20s and not mid-20s but it's not too bad, especially since I look younger than I am.

But yeah....I still feel 19 at times. Only difference is now I have a full-time job. =p

7. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,338.0
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    ... Whoa. I'm a lot younger than everyone else here. My mental age also makes me even younger. I'm only fourteen. Joined LV when I was 13. I'm a newbie to the entire world here!

8. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Ever since I was seven, I've had the mental age of someone whose 40. Its not just me who says this, all of my family comment on how mature I was even at such a young age. That being said, I've always kept the same mature mind set with only little variations so in a way, you could say that even though I'm in my early twenties, I still have the mind of my seven year old self. The only thing that has really changed over the years is how comfortable I am with doing certain things. To me, old is 60 years and higher as that's usually when people start to die off (60 being on the really low end of the spectrum).

If you want to know of someone who isn't old, take a look at my grandma. She's a 93 year old woman who grew up in the great depression and just a few months ago she went out kayaking on an open river, traveled several states, and walked a mall. When she stepped into a retirement home for the first time to see what it was like, she said, "I don't belong here all these people are old." No one here is old, were just all realizing how much time has truly passed and how we no longer belong to the age group we once identified with. Not to mention that we are now in a age that we used to despise or scorn in our younger days for whatever reason. Age is all in the mid set and for me, I'm still seven (even if my seven is 40).

9. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    There's a reason my most recent status update was "Cyrus was 27 years old when he ran a regional criminal organization, tamed several primordial deities, and almost became god of a universe of his own making... I need to get busy.", because I'm rapidly approaching a feeling of oldness. It's been particularly over the past few years when my health started rapidly declining (much better now, thank you), but I feel like I'm aging rapidly, but I'm stuck between "somewhat still young" and "stepping over the threshold into old".

On one hand, parts of my health that are usually signs of advancing age are quite bad, such as my bones and joints and breath-catching. But on the other hand, I usually have energy and am still building muscle with effort.

On one hand, I think I'm starting to look old, like when I compare myself to Cyrus and can see the creases at the edge of my mouth or darkness under my eyes, but most of my skin is still young and healthy. On some other other hand, people often guess my age wildly different. "You're what, 21, 22 years old?" some will say, "How are your kids doing?" others will say.

Even my living situation is on two hands. On one I'm living with my parents and spending most of my home time in my own room, but on the other hand I'm in the process of buying a house that I will own. I want a young sibling but I also ponder life with a child of my own. I'm settled into what might be a good life career but I'm also re-enrolling for college. Most of my terrestrial friends are in their mid 30s or (much) older, while most of my internet-met friends I met through a website whose culture is based on a video game with a target audience of 10-year-olds.

If I'm not an embodiment of being stuck between young an old, then I don't know what I am. And it may well be that I don't know what I am.