1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Influence of Tutor Moves

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by BadPandaPancham, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadPandaPancham

BadPandaPancham PKMN Breeder

PokéPoints:
    ₽40.0
    As I am sure most of you have heard a little bit ago, move tutors have been data mined from the Special ORAS demos (thanks to Smogon's Stellar). There has been a huge variety of information from this, as most of it you could find on the master pastebin here. However, a large part of that information is the move tutors, which allow a wide variety of different Pokémon that we all know and love (or hate) to gain access to different moves and gain an increase in popularity and usage. The list of the move tutors by Pokémon is found here. Ignore all the different terms and words you see, just look at the moves sorted underneath each Pokémon, as not everyone is able to understand to raw data that was extracted from the demo.

Anyways, the point of this thread/post is to hold a discussion over the Pokémon gaining access to new moves, and how it will affect them in terms of competitive gameplay, whether it be VGC rules or Smogon tiers.

For example, in Pokémon XY, a lot of people were hugely disappointed with Pangoro. Pangoro has a great attack stat, but a below-average speed stat and abilities that really didn't help him all that much, namely Iron Fist. It had Iron Fist, but the one and only move it had boosted from it was Hammer Arm. Yeah, not too impressive. However, with the addition of ORAS move tutors, Pangoro gets a wide variety of moves he did not get before including: Knock Off, Ice/Fire/Thunder Punch, Drain Punch, Low Kick, Gunk Shot. This greatly improves the usefulness and ability of Pangoro to really hit hard and be a relevant threat on the battle field.

So, what Pokémon are you happy to see get certain moves? What are some tutor moves you think should have been included/a certain Pokémon should have learned? How will this effect how the Pokémon is used in competitive play?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Sachi-Shimazu

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.8
    I'll be really happy to get an Ice Punch Mawile and a Heal Bell Vaporeon without transfering it from a previous game... Also, I remember that you could teach Gardevoir punch moves via move tutor, so it'd be fun to send someone a Gardevoir with punches over wonder trade.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BadPandaPancham

PokéPoints:
    ₽40.0
    Oh yeah, moves like Knock Off on Landorus are now much more convenient, that will be much better for trying to get Pokes without having to trade all around and what not. It will also be nice to see who else gets the punches that didn't before, as I haven't seen all of them yet. I also noticed Gunk Shot Greninja, which I've been using on the ORAS OU ladder on PS. It is a great move since it is very powerful in combo with Protean STAB and LO, while baiting in Pokémon like Fairies, who are usually able to mostly sponge up Greninja's hits.

4. Pari

Pari poyo

Andromeda
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽350.3
    I'm excited for the move tutors! One of my biggest problems was the lack of them in XY, so with some Pokémon I didn't feel like I could utilize their full potential without going back to BW/BW2. However now I can!

5. BadPandaPancham

PokéPoints:
    ₽40.0
    I agree, I'm not sure why they didn't include them in X/Y, maybe because they already planned to for ORAS to add it in as an extra feature for the games? Not too sure, but whatever it is, I am glad they are returning.

6. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    The influence of this tutor moves will have a effect like Pokebank. It will change some things of the competitive game For example: if you remember when Ralts obtained Hyper Voice it was and is a destruction machine. But talking normally the changes add more funny and alwayas have a good end so we will see that . So..Good Luck with the new changes!! And Happy Hallowen!!

7. LadyCharizard

Flurry
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽22.9
    Move tutors were my FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVOURITE part of Platinum and White 2, especially since neither of them relied on BP to access them.

That being said, since shards aren't apparently IN X and Y as far as I can tell, I wonder how ORAS will make you pay for tutor moves...if they're not using BP, there is a possibility that they might use the shards again, if only because the original games had them to trade for evolution stones...then again, who knows?

8. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,997.3
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I'm happy that they're returning, I really missed them in XY. But I'm curious about what kind of payment the tutors will ask for in return for their service.

So happy that Heat Wave Mega Pidgeot and Dragon Pulse Sceptile will be a thing now that we don't have to transfer to get these moves, especially since Mega Sceptile will be part dragon.

9. Synthesia

Synthesia Bird Keeper

PokéPoints:
    ₽67.7
    Haha, x and y hasn't been that good of giving move tutors. in oras, there are lots of move tutors.
    i think i heard skill swap as a move tutor. i think it will be good to put on spinda for the contrary arcanine strategy.
    if anyone dont knows that, spinda skill swamps with arcanine giving arcanine the contrary and giving spinda intimidate to lower that attack.
    this almost forces attacking Pokémon to switch out. the contrary arcanine uses close combat to get a boost to def and sp.def, and over heat for 2 boosts to sp.atk. this is not my strategy, but pretty much interesting.

10. Spammernoob

Spammernoob A Spammer or a Noob?

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.8
  11. Northwind's Call

PokéPoints:
    ₽91.5
    Well, as a VGC nerd, the rise of Hyper Voice Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir is imminent, as well as the return of speed control in Tailwind and Icy Wind. There'll be a few more fun tidbits here and there, I'm sure, but those are the big three in my books.

12. MrTimtendo

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    I've actually done this strategy myself; it is absolutely HILARIOUS. This is what I'd call Arcanine's Contrary Heaven. I feel like you could do the same with Salamence (it gets Intimidate too) and has Draco Meteor to abuse the living hell out of. If you want to take it even further, you can get a Salamence from Gen 3 with Mimic, Draco Meteor, then add Roost & Substitute on it. I also pair it with a Victini with V-Create... See where I'm going with this? And Serperior needs that Contrary released... It would be so perfect and make a great partner along with Contrary Arcanine. Fast Taunter, can Glare (and paralyze Ground types!), setup dual screens, heal with Leech Seed and Giga Drain and would have Leaf Storm to abuse Contrary, haha.
    And speaking of that thing with Salamence... I suggest you see this.

Things that can wreck that strategy...
    Contrary Arcanine strategy is clearly not perfect though. I've done it many times, but some of these are a pain in the neck.

- The most obvious one is Taunt (primarily from Prankster users). Taunting Spinda means it can't get the Skill Swap off. In addition, since Spinda is SO damn slow (with base 60s across the board), even with a Choice Scarf, it doesn't even outspeed anything with more than 115 speed that has a max speed nature (Greninja, Crobat, Weavile, Aerodactyl, etc.). So even those possible Taunters can screw you over, or just hit hard enough to KO either Arcanine or Spinda.

- Pressure users. Now, I've ran into many "uber tryhards", but the Pressure ability sucks for Arcanine because his main attacking moves are Overheat & Close Combat which only have 8 PP Max. I run Snarl as well (lowers SpA, hits both opponents and adds that coverage), and also stops Chandelure from screwing you over. Fortunately, I can take away their Pressure after I Skill Swap Contrary, so this one isn't too bad.

- Rain teams; I don't even bother facing these. Fortunately Arcanine can hit Tyranitar and Abomasnow for 4x super effective damage, so these guys aren't too bad (but TTar can still live depending on its investment)

- Azumarill, Bisharp and Milotic; Azumarill has priority Aqua Jet and resists both of Arcanine's moves (and Snarl if you run that too). In addition, if it has Belly Drum, you're screwed, even if you have Sun support. Bisharp and Milotic have Defiant and Competitive respectively, so Intimidate is helping them out. And since you're Double Intimidating them...

- Follow Me/Rage Powder users; these guys will make you cry when your Contrary goes to them instead.

- Crits; obviously these will ignore the Defense boosts received by Arcanine and can wreck your day. Especially if it's an Earthquake or Stone Edge.

Contrary V-Create Arcanine plz Gamefreak

--

Ah, sorry about rambling about that. Back on topic, I'm going to LOVE this. So many of the Pokémon I want in Gen 6, where I actually began breeding, since it was simplified, became a hassle when I found out the moves I wanted were not available in X/Y. For instance, you have no idea how upset I was when I found out Foul Play & Heal Bell Umbreon was not a thing. And the ever so popularly requested Hyper Voice Sylveon. It's also sweet for those Gen 6 Pokémon; Chesnaught needed Drain Punch so damn badly (weird how it can't learn via breeding o.O) and I feel like I can pull off a funny thing with Braixen now that Trick is a move tutor move... (Yes, I said Braixen) Knock Off will be very nice as well, along with the Elemental Punches. I kind of wish Mimic were a TM or Move Tutor move as well again, but hey, gotta deal with it.

If there's another Eviolite user, I can use a Braixen (I want to cause it's my fave Gen 6 Pokémon and it's so kawaii) with Trick and run a Choice Scarf. Then against another Eviolite wall user, I can Trick it to get an Eviolite and give them a Choice Scarf in return, haha (obv situational, but would be hilarious).

In short, the move tutors will likely keep me breeding and allow me to get the movesets I desire.

13. Pendraflare

Pendraflare Hex Maniac

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    These are nice, as i'll finally be able to get certain things like Hyper Voice Sylveon and Gardevoir without having to breed from B2W2, made even moreso with passing Poké Balls. I do wonder how we'll get them, though.

14. fdubwilli

fdubwilli Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽29.7
    Pangoro really cashed in with the new tutors. It got Drain Punch, Knock Off, ALL the elemental punches, and Gunk Shot to ruin faries. This thing is gonna terrorize NU.

15. Djinnt

Djinnt Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    Elemental punches and knock off FOR EVERYONE!![​IMG]

16. Derpson99

Derpson99 Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    Lookin forward to Drain Punch Slurpuff, kinda wish he got Fire Punch though, but oh well, he'll still be a lot better with the new move tutors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.