1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Intelligence or money

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Pokémist, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Pokémist

Pokémist Trashcan

smol heart
    (Luvdisc)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,860.3
    Tapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    So question is simple, which one do you prefer, being intelligent or having money?

I prefer intelligence because if there is intelligence there will be ways to earn money and since I want to know about lot of things in the world, money isn't my main goal.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,650.4
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    Lmao, you just took my words out of my mouth.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Pokémist likes this.
  3. dangokura

dangokura what is happening ;w;

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    intelligence, for more or less the same reasons! while money is important intelligence is, to me, more so, and money can be earned if the intelligence is put to use. intelligence is a powerful tool :o

4. Tepig

Tepig The Talking Tepig

Fire Nation
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽595.9
    Assault Vest ★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★
    "Only he who has the knowledge to spend money wisely will be able to succeed."

-Me, 2018

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  5. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    You would have to be lacking intelligence already to not choose intelligence. Money can not buy intelligence but intelligence can produce money if you work for it. Unless of course it's over a billion dollars or something.

6. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,562.9
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    I like it that people are using the inteligence to possibly make more money.

I wold pick inteligence, but for the sole purpouse of becoming a veterinarian. I love animals, and I want to save as many as possible.

7. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I would choose intelligence since then I could use my intelligence to be able to smartly invest in the stock market and just make more money. :3

8. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    I was expecting a topic where I'd have to pick one or the other, so my planned response was "I'm already intelligent, so I'll take the money".
    ...Not quite what I thought it would be.

I honestly view money as a necessary evil needed to get by in life (because things cost money). There's no intrinsic value to money and it doesn't really help produce anything. My intelligence has served me greater than any money ever has (or could), and besides, money amounts can change - not something you want to depend on.

Then again, I suppose this is a pretty obvious and/or cliché answer, considering who it's coming from. But it's still factually accurate, so I'm sticking to my brainpower.

FireSpartan5 and ShinigamiMiroku like this.
  9. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Oh boy, I wish I could draw, so I could make a simple 4-panel webcomic right here to reflect my own view.

Panel 1: Me sitting at the computer and reading aloud the question of this thread.
    Panel 2: Me offhandedly and arrogantly explaining: "Of course I should choose intelligence! My mind is with me forever, while my bank account is ephemeral!"
    Panel 3: Explosion effect as a magical wish is granted.
    Panel 4: Me sitting pensively and rubbing my chin like a philosopher: "Money would have been the smart choice."

So here's my perspective: If I could suddenly be granted great amounts of money or great(er) intelligence, I would absolutely choose the money. I would then use that money to embark on a quest of growing my own intelligence: I would buy my way into the best universities, I would fund a laboratory of omni-disciplinary science, I would watch Khan Academy videos all day without worrying about going to work the next day. This is all because I agree with those of you above who chose intelligence: intelligence is more valuable. I would rather *earn* that value than have it granted to me or be born into it. Money is just a number, so I don't care if I *earn* it or not.

tl;dr, I would rather have money, but I would use it as an avenue by which to gain my own intelligence. Like Batman.

Laserdragon14 likes this.
  10. DIO

DIO KONO DIO DA!

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽239.2
    Wow, just about everyone's picked intelligence. I'm picking money though. I've lasted this long just fine being pretty dumb, so I think I could get by staying as dumb as I am. Plus I'm poor and need to pay bills. :D

11. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Totally with you there, Eclipse.

12. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    There are a lot of things more important than money, which could be better appreciated with greater intelligence.

13. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    If I had enough brains I could easily make the money as well. ;)

14. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    Money.
    It's pretty obvious most of you guys weren't/aren't in poverty lol

EDIT: Ok I'll dig in
    I would choose money because intelligence does not guarantee money, there are plenty of smart poor people who can't access a means to higher education or whathaveyou to get a higher paid job. Also the implication that intelligence makes money assumes that poor people are somehow less intelligent and that's why they are poor, effectively blaming them for it.
    You can be smart all you want, but without proper credentials you cannot get a professional job or anything much higher than entry level.
    Also, even smart people with degrees have trouble finding jobs in this economy.

#14 Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  15. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    At first I was going to choose intelligence, but I'd very much rather have money. Why? Because everything in this world costs money. As mentioned above, you can be smart, but that doesn't mean you'll make money. Plus, there's different types of intelligence. So, ya know.

16. Bubbles

Crystal
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.5
    Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    There's no point in having a lot of money if you're too dumb to know how to use it wisely. You can't necessarily buy yourself intellect either. If you don't have enough cognitive skills, you wont learn anything... no matter how much you spend on education. If you're wealthy and stupid, people will be more likely to take advantage of you as well.

With intelligence you can figure out how to maintain financial security and accumulate wealth. Sure it will be more difficult without the resources money can provide, but at least you can come up with a solution that can work. Long term, you can spend the money that you have wiser and have a higher quality of living.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  17. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    I'd rather be smart enough to know the various ways to make money than to have money and be dumb to use it effectively.

Essentially, what Bloom said.

18. U44151

U44151 Sailor

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽196.0
    Intelligence >
    what good is all the money in the world if you cant put it to good use,would rather be smart and have wisdom with what little money I have

19. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Money, because I'm fine with being dumb. Haha

20. Blair_Chandra

Blair_Chandra Torchic Queen

Blaze
    (Combusken)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽39.5
    Money at this point. I have decent intelligence.