1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Group RP Iris-shi High School Talent (Idol) Club! (IC)

Discussion in 'Roleplay Institute' started by 122 Generation, Jul 14, 2022.

1. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,926.7
    @SAF

Maya sighed. "Unfortunately, I have no idea how to play bass. I'll still sing if you want me to!"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,438.5
    Robin sweatdropped at Maya's sigh. "Well... I could teach you how to play bass. It's considerably easier and less complicated than playing guitar chords." And he wasn't joking. In Robin's opinion, Maya was underestimating herself. That, or Maya needed to know the concept of a bass guitar... first. If Maya could sing and play a lead or acoustic guitar at the same time, she would have no problem with a bass.

He looked at Robyn's guitar and considered demonstrating to Maya.

3. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,926.7
    @122 Generation

The offer of (possible) free bass lessons sounded appealing to Maya. It appeared an instrument was available to learn on and get a feel for. The million (currency) question was--how was Maya going to be able to practice at home, much less juggle practicing guitar and bass? Plus, would she have time to learn all the bass chords, and learn the song in time for the show?

4. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,438.5
    @WavePearl

As if Naga had answered Maya's thoughts, Robin brought out Robyn's guitar (which had had played on at the start of the club meeting). He showed it to Maya. "Right, Maya-chan. So I assume you're familiar with key signatures and playing chords corresponding to each key. If you've ever seen a bass guitar, the strings are identical to a regular guitar except it's reduced to four. There's usually no B string or high E string because a bass guitar doesn't need them. You could try playing a chord, but a bass guitar's strings are so thick that your only concern is playing single notes relative to the key. For example..."

He went to play four chords: G chord, C chord, D chord, and E minor chord. "You already know this is the most basic of guitar chords, which is key of G. Now here's how you play bass..."

Robin then played the same four notes (G, C, D, and E) but as single notes. No chord.

"See? It's that easy. You play just single notes instead of chords," Robin said. "You can easily replicate this with your own acoustic guitar. Of course, on the stage, it's more practical to have a bass guitar since, naturally, it's bassier. If you want to learn playing a bassline, that's just reading sheet music from there."

He went on to replay the song he played earlier, but played only the bass notes instead of playing the entire chord.

(All key signatures for guitar - and most songs - follow this basic rule. Lead, rhythm, or bass)

SAF likes this.
  5. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,926.7
    @122 Generation

"I see..." Maya mused. "I can easy practice here at school--but where would I get one to practice at home?"

6. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,438.5
    Robin sweatdropped. Did Maya not have a guitar of her own? "Do you have a guitar at home?" he asked. "You could practice on that. Use the E string and the A string. Just those two."

He was quite certain Maya that had a guitar.

7. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,634.7
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    So now Nora sighed in relief and Kai just smiled at Robin's bass tutoring session. However, what made it a little bit awkward was Maya lamenting about practicing at home when Robin had already mentioned that it's possible to practice with her own guitar -- which she'd brought here, by the way.

Cue Nora eyeing that one guitar sitting over there. "Uh, sorry," the kid raised a hand, then pointed at the lone guitar. "Whose guitar is that again?" She was almost certain it had to be Maya's, but still had to make sure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    122 Generation likes this.
  8. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,926.7
  9. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,634.7
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    (Ah, okay. But since the previous post was Nora misunderstanding Maya's point and she can't magically know that just because you told me OOC, allow Kai to handle it instead. :thumbsup:)

"Pretty sure it's Maya's, aight," Kai patted Nora's shoulder. It should've been obvious weren't it for how Maya worded her concern. Turning to Maya with his hand still on Nora's shoulder, Kai chimed in, "As Robin said, you can practice the bass like how you would a guitar. He did show you how, right?"

10. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,438.5
    @WavePearl @SAF @ChocoChicken

(Gotcha, Wave)

"Oh... I see," Robin said, suddenly aware that Maya's guitar had been here. He gave off the same flustered reaction that Robyn had when she was flustered. The reaction looked similar too! "Whelp, that helps. Maya-chan, you can practise with your guitar whenever you'd like!

"Anyway, long story short, if we can count on you to play bass and sing vocals for Nora-chan, that would be fine."

He looked at the list one more time. "Okay, so it looks like we have our plan, pending the application of our venue. Do we all have our songs good to go? Make sure to send them to me- I mean- Robyn so that we can have everything planned. Is there anything else? Any other business? Questions?"

What Robin wrote 1. Tamal and Alex - with Robin (Polygonal ft. Reflet)
    2. Kai - with Alex and Tamal (Big Han-san ft. Polygonal)
    3. Robin - with Robyn? (Reflet)
    4. Nora - with Kai and Maya (Han-san ft. Phoenix)
    4. Robyn? - solo?
    5. Maya - solo (Phoenix)
    5. Tamal - duo? (Rising Star Capella)
    6. Group - Nora (Little Han-san)
    7. Group - Alex (Ch1ptune)

11. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,926.7
    @SAF @122 Generation

"Wait a second..." Maya thought. Is there a way we could use an alternate tuning that would give me access to some bass notes? I know how to play in drop D already...

"Is there a way this song would fit in an alternate tuning that would give me access to the notes we need?" she asked. "I can play in drop D... A new tuning would be way easier than a whole new instrument...

12. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,438.5
    Robin sweatdropped again, wondering if Maya was misunderstanding the principle of how a bass guitar worked. "Bass notes are identical to regular notes on a guitar, but one or two octaves lower. So it's not just drop D, but dropping to an octave E below. But if you had tuned your acoustic guitar to do that, your strings would be flat.

"But that doesn't mean you can't practice bass notes as is. In other words, your guitar already has the bass notes. They're just different by octave but the tune still works. You can practice with your higher strings for now, but I'll see if I can get a bass guitar loaned for you."

(For the record, Wave, a guitar has strings EADGBe, whereas a bass has only strings EADG. Not exactly a whole new instrument for Maya...)

WavePearl and SAF like this.
  13. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,926.7
    @122 Generation

(Maya knows this--she's just trying to think of how she can learn/practice bass without a proper bass guitar until she can either A. get one of her own, or B. get one lended to her.)

122 Generation likes this.
  14. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,262.1
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    While Alex mostly packed up and prepared to leave, Tamal lingered a little bit to check the other four's conversation. It looked like Robin - and soon Maya, probably - would learn a little bass? He'd have to keep that in mind for future performances. And it looked like Robin had to know someone with other instruments. Maybe that could come into play with future performances?

For now, he just gave the other three a wave - Alex would probably send out choreography charts and arrange people to voices for Six soon enough, knowing her perfectionist get-everything-sorted-ASAP mindset.

Then there were chord sheets for either Maya or one of the Robiyns to take the guitar section, sheet music for a piano part if Kai wanted to take it, maybe giving Nora the chiptune descant to cover with her violin if she preferred that to singing, and then removing those specific instruments from the instrumental...

...yeah, she was going to be constantly checking up on him for his number too, wasn't she. They had quite a week ahead of them.

15. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,438.5
    (Gotcha)

@WavePearl @ChocoChicken @SAF

"Okay... So it looks like we're set," Robin said. "I'll follow up with Robyn and see how she's doing. In the meantime, get your song selections finalised and send them to her. We'll need our venue approved fast, so we can't wait too long! And don't forget that finals are coming up, so don't slack off on your studies either!"

He waved to Tamal as Tamal took his leave. Then Robin dismissed the club like Robyn would and he began to pack up his things. He packed away Robyn's guitar in its respective case and set about making reminders to submit the venue application, and also getting a loaned bass guitar for Maya. Maybe the music room might be happy to lend one. Last but not least, he picked up Robyn's Meloetta doll.

Afterwards, he began making his way home on his own. With this much weight is hands, he opted to take the bus up the hill so that it would save him some energy. He found Robyn there still looking very depressed as she studied for her finals, so he helped Morgan with making dinner for her. While he was at it, he went on Robyn's laptop to deal with submitting the venue application, and he monitored her email for anything incoming from the other clubmates.

(Cuing the week, the weekend, and the next performance - that's eleven days later...)

16. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,926.7
    @122 Generation

For the moment, Maya focused on her schoolwork, practicing her acoustic guitar, making sure she would have somewhere to put a potential bass guitar, picking up an audition packet for "The Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light", going over what she would have to prepare in hopes of getting the role of Caeda, and sessions of "Phoenix Quest IX".

17. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,438.5
    (Now I'm wondering what the drama would actually look like :) since it is in everyone's history books)

During the week, Robin had been looking after Robyn to make sure she was alright. It seemed that Robyn still was weighed down by Tala's departure and hadn't gotten over it. Her morale was down, that was for sure. In the meantime, Robin did his best to look after her (just like he did last year) and continued monitoring the emails. He also picked out the song that he might do together with Robyn, and Robyn eventually decided to help him with the choreography. Over the week, her mood gradually improved but the emotions were still there.

@WavePearl

While Robin was at it, he visited Yuka Music to see how things were going for a possible bass guitar rental. Amazingly, when he walked in the shop he was instantly recognised by the staff. Granted, he was an occasional customer here and maybe his small popularity in the school club had helped him to get a bass guitar rental for a massive discount - and Chrom helped to pay for it!

By the end of the week, he had gotten news that the application for Marth Stadium was approved by the city of Iris-shi! Excited - like Robyn-excited - Robin emailed everyone using his own email account.
    Robin's email "Hey, everyone!

Great news! Our application for Marth Stadium is approved! Make sure you're prepared!

Also, I think we should do something or get something for Robyn to cheer her up. She's still really down.

-Robin

Then during the weekend, he and Robyn studied diligently together in preparation for finals. Whatever downtime they had, they spent practising Robin's song. For Robin, he further spent his downtime reviewing Tamal's song (whereas Robyn played Luigi Kart and casually played on her guitar).

18. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,926.7
    @122 Generation

(would it be okay if we show a little of the play, with Maya finally getting her wish for a lead role in Caeda?)

19. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,262.1
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    (@WavePearl Final decision up to 122, but I think having her recite a few lines in one post and describing her practicing could be a cameo for that plotline)

It was only a few hours since the meeting ended that Alex sent out the sheets for everything to do with her number - and some of Tamal's, which she helped fine-tune. While the duo met up occasionally for practice, they spent most of their studying alone, as Alex knew. They did, however, check their practice test answers with each other.

Robin's email did come in at a good time, however. Alex managed to pull her nose out of her studies for a minute, and Tamal managed to piece together some time to go chip in for a gift for their club leader.

(While not everything on Alex's number is decided OOC right now, we can say it was all finalized IC.)

20. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,926.7
    @ChocoChicken

(I'd have to find some of the dialogue from the game to serve as the script...)