1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Is sexuality becoming a trend?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Vanillite, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanillite

Vanillite Cat Lady

PokéPoints:
    ₽139.4
    Today, there are various different 'sexualities' one can identify with. Some mean that you are attracted to everyone (Pansexual), while others mean that you do not feel a sexual attraction to others (Asexual). Some 'sexualities' seem to be more prominent or widespread than others. Why do you think this is? Do you think it is a trend that people are following to try to fit in with certain groups? Or do you believe that people can now properly identify themselves due to there being so many more 'orientations'? Perhaps a mixture of both? Share your thoughts!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Well, I'd say it's a mixture of both. I would say a lot of people my age follow trends that way, which is honestly a shame as you really should just be you. There isn't any harm in it, of course - and if some one really knows they're that sexuality, good for them! Follow your dreams, but don't try to be something you're not just to fit in, or be different. And please, try to understand that not everyone is going to remember all of the terms that you use either, there is no need to be angry.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cobalt

Cobalt I'M A HURRICANE

PokéPoints:
    ₽64.6
    I honestly think it may be. As much as it hurts me to say it, there are definitely those out there who aren't actually a certain sexuality, but claim to be in order to get attention. I believe pansexuality and asexuality are real, but they're either less common, or people are just not educated on the subject of sexual orientation.

However, it should also be said that I also believe more people are coming out as other sexual orientations because, at least in some first world countries, there's in general more acceptance for people who fall under the LGBT umbrella more than ever. Is this to say there aren't people that fake it? No, but they could just be less afraid of the consequences than their ancestors.

It's what Ben said, don't try to be someone you're not. If you're heterosexual, it's offensive and quite frankly a bit rude to people who are actually a part of the LGBT+ community to pretend you are anything else, just to follow a trend.

4. shinygiratinaz

shinygiratinaz Boats Against the Current

PokéPoints:
    ₽39.5
    I have to somewhat agree on the part of trends, though it was more of sexualities being pinned onto me by others. I have, on multiple occasions, been told that I must identify as asexual because I do not currently feel romantic attraction to any male or female. It's rather... interesting... to listen to others attempting to tell you what you must say you are by standards that you don't quite understand the levels of. From what I've seen, it's become something that people either disregard or take far too stringently.

I think that the more widened definitions and terms of sexuality are good for expression. I also think that these new definitions held by many individuals with newfound confidence can cause others to attempt to either also conform to these definitions or to make everything else conform to them in ways that may or may not be true. The definitions themselves are a good thing. Many of the social reactions to them, however, aren't quite as healthy. Even outside of Tumblr.

Cobalt likes this.
  5. Aurelia

Aurelia Supporter

PokéPoints:
    ₽40.0
    I seen this a lot when I was in Junior High and High School. I was even part of this trend sadly. When I was in junior high I couldn't figure out what exactly I wanted so eventually I proclaimed myself a bisexual girl. I honestly knew it didn't fit me for who I am but being 13 af the time, it was just a phase I personally went through because I honestly knew it wasn't right for me.

I personally dont think teenagers are 100% sure of what they want or think who they are because of how indecisive they can be, so yeah, I think they're just trying to fit into crowds that they think they belong in, like I did. I honestly think that there is people who figured out what they are, asexual, bisexual, pansexual or just homosexual.

I also remember my sister going through something like this a few years back. She's 27 years old and she recently opened up to be bisexual, but she only tested this by actually dating a girl and eventually she was only bicurious to see what it felt like and how it was to be with another girl.

I'm not saying all teenagers or adults do this, I know there is a lot of people who are heart on loving another gender but I honestly haven't seen that personally and these are just the thoughts I have on the subject.

6. Sarge the Umbreon

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    I've seen on their Steam profiles that they identify by their sexuality on there.

I've been friends with a bunch of those that were either bisexual or gay. They even have been in Steam groups for bi/gay users, so I can see why not. And I stated on my bio in my Steam profile that I'm bisexual as well. Pretty sure it is becoming an trend now with most of the LGBT community.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.