1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Is This Art?

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Owly, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    You may or may not have heard this sort of question before - what determines what art is? Where is the line drawn? Is it possible to draw a line? Nobody seems to agree on an answer.

For example, let's say someone creates a mold that you can use to make a lion sculpture. Somebody buys that mold and makes a sculpture with it. Is the maker of the mold an artist? Is the user of the mold an artist? Are they both artists?

What about tracing? If somebody traces a picture, is that art? What happens if they color in that picture in an original way? Does that make them an artist and does that make the picture art? Why or why not?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Art is honestly very subjective and varies from person to person. So all answers on "What is Art" are all gonna be different.

What some may consider art others may consider dadaism (a fancy term for anti art).

To answer your questions all of the above scenarios are art to me. Creating a mold is still creating something, and that itself is means to make it art. And if the person who uses the mold takes the time to actually take supplies and create the lion, they too are an artist.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I really don't think that art can have a single solid definition. Everybody has a different definition of what exactly makes something a work of art. For me, I consider art as anything that a person creates, whether I personally like it or not.

4. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    People call this art.
    1101942001_740215_0000000000_noticia_normal.jpg
    It's literally a toilet.

Art has a very flexible definition, and there's no definite answer to that question. I'm still troubled to distinguish what is art and what isn't. Pretty much everything to exist could be considered as art.

5. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    that toilet is a really good example of dadaism haha. i believe thats by duchamp! (i learned about him in art history). dadaism is wild because its art that isn't art but at the same time is classified as an art movement. its not supposed to make any sense but its fun to look at

AeroHail likes this.
  6. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,644.3
    Art is subjective and everyone is going to have their own opinion on whether or not any given thing is art. I tend to think of something as art depending on its visual appeal and how hard it must have been to make/how hard it would be to reproduce. Even then, that's just what pops into my head right now as I wright this and isn't necessarily an opinion that I always stick to.

7. Aalacer

Moonwalk
    (Lunatone)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽484.7
    I'll answer the three of them *_*

The line: I think this is the most subjetive of the three. In my opinion, art is the creation of something; the pure expression of an idea. Picking up something and putting it on display isn't.

The mold: An artisan is basically an artist, so the maker of the mold is indeed an artist. The one who borrows the mold will only be an artist if he/she perfects the statue that came out of said mold.

The tracing: This one depends on the tracer's lazyness and skill. There are techniques that implie "tracing" natural things such as a tree leaf and we count that as art because of the skill the artist put to the test there. Now, if the tracer just copied other's work... He/she isn't a real artist. However, the resulting picture can be seen as art, as the original piece that was blatantly copied was. A simple conclusion of both this one and the mold one is that you have to make it yours, in some way or another, after calling yourself an artist.

8. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    If I draw a line, is that art?

Is it, by chance, also the line at which the line between art and non-art is drawn?

Is the line that separates art and non-art not only a visual physical line but also an intangible line both metaphorical and manifest by which art and non-art could be considered discrete non-continuous...

Okay, I'll draw my own line there. A lot of what separates art and non art I think can be determined by examining one of two aspects, both of which are subjective measures. The artist/method, and the product. Can a beautiful natural landscape as seen directly with the eyes art, or can something accidentally made by a careless human be art? Can something made by a talented artist, something which absolutely nobody cares about, be art? It's all subjective.

I didn't intend for my answer to go in this direction but now I wonder... does art exist? We know a lot of things exist, like helium atoms or sound waves or vacuum pressure and the neurotransmitters that generate identifiable emotions to which we can ascribe consistent labels, but does art exist? Excuse me while I go sit outside alone for a few hours or centuries while I contemplate this.

Gwoomy likes this.
  9. Aalacer

Moonwalk
    (Lunatone)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽484.7
    Well, every single abstract concept such as beauty or, in this case, art, is something that is directly related to our perspective of the world and our surroundings. So yes, art exists... to us

Absolute Zero likes this.
  10. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,620.6
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    I'm on the "anything is art" side.
    If someone can paint the whole canvas blue and it's art, everything is. In my opinion, you cannot trace the "line between art and non-art" because it doesn't exist. You can draw a line, or even draw nothing at all, and it'll be art-- unusual art, maybe, but still art.

That's one of the reasons why people saying "I can't draw" are annoying. Everyone can draw, it's just often not as good as they'd want it to be.

11. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    But that "to us" qualifier is what I'm trying to narrow in on. We can say that love exists not only because we feel it, but because can measure consistent reactions specified neurotransmitters have upon humans and other mammals (or vertebrates?). We can say that time exists not only because we perceive it, because of change happening. We can say that Nothingness™ exists not only because we want to put a label on a somewhat abstract concept, but because absolute emptiness has measurable effects on surrounding pressure zones and the transmittance of radiation. All of these abstract thing we can prove exist, but can we empirically prove that art exists?

I don't think I'll be able to say what is and isn't art until someone can prove to me that art is a defined thing that exists, like the effects of oxytocin on a living brain or the inward force of a vacuum surrounded by matter.

12. Aalacer

Moonwalk
    (Lunatone)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽484.7
    A cephalopod can love as well. They're basically swimming brains.

I see your point. I compared it to the concepts of beauty and ugly because those can't be described as "real" either. Sure, when we see something we consider ugly, our brain reacts in a certain manner, but that doesn't make the thing we saw "ugly" no matter what. Art is quite the same thing: we won't be able to say it is a "real" thing, but we perceive it as such. (If we somehow think of a reasonable description for when something is or is not art, ignoring subjetive or individual perspectives, then we can say it exists, tho.)

13. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    i'm kinda with gwoomy on this one. anything is art if you want it to be art. i feel like its that simple. for example, a lot of people consider old cars a 'work of art'. but that isn't your traditional kind of art because when most people think of art they think of paintings.