1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

JAS using Hyper Offense...lol?

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by ninJAS, Oct 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninJAS

ninJAS Proud new daddy!

O_O
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11.8
    Ultra Ball
    Haven't posted or made a team in a while and when I do pretty much every single person that knows me can 99% of the time bet it will have some very bulky Pokémon on it since that is almost always what my teams consist of. That being said this team is my take on Hyper Offensive to suit my play style. There are no Dual Screens or set up but this team has been working very well for me due to the heavy amount of offensive pressure it places on my opponent and the 4 very effective and diverse priority attacks I have scattered across the team to finish off a multitude of weakened opponents making up for a general lack of speed on the team. A prime example of this being the Pokémon I built this team around.

[​IMG]

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
    Ability: Adaptability
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Crabhammer
    - Knock Off
    - Superpower
    - Aqua Jet

I had honestly never used Crawdaunt until this Gen and mainly the only reason I decided to give it a try was because of how strong it's Knock Off is thanks to it's high Attack, STAB, and Adaptability boost. The simple fact that it can spam Knock Off on so many common OU Pokémon makes it very formidable and able to punch holes in my opponents walls and force a lot of switches. Alongside Knock Off Crabhammer also got a nice power boost this Gen and in conjunction with Crawdaunt's ability and an Adamant nature makes it able to 2HKO Defensive Skarmory which is very handy. I have Superpower on the set but honestly I hardly ever find myself using it. I mean sure it comes in handy against full HP Ferrothorn but if I can catch it on the switch with Knock Off I can 2HKO it anyway so I am seriously considering another move here. Thought about Crunch just so it gives me a chance to 2HKO M-Venu after rocks which I can not do much to now outside of a 3HKO with Knock Off which is highly unlikely to happen. The only thing really holding Crawdaunt back is its pitiful Speed....luckily it has a strong STAB priority move in Aqua Jet which lets it outpace and kill weakened faster threats like Lando (both forms), Mamoswine, DD TTar, Terrakion, etc. I originally had a Band on Crawdaunt which was great but it forced me to do a lot of unneeded predicting so I decided to try out Life Orb instead and I like it much better despite the recoil.

[​IMG]

Manectric @ Manectite
    Ability: Lightningrod > Intimidate
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flamethrower
    - Hidden Power Ice

Next up to form a solid offensive core with Crawdaunt I added a Manectric to the team whos speed and power are both very welcome additions. Very standard set here so there isn't really much to talk about but if it works it works right? Volt Switch for switch initiative, Tbolt for power, Fkamethrower and HP Ice for coverage. My first two Pokémon work a lot better together than I thought they would just because the special walls that handle Manectric can't do anything at all to Crawdaunt allowing me to easily Volt Switch, deal some chip damage, then hit had with whatever move I want from Crawdaunt.

[​IMG]

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 252 Atk / 72 HP / 184 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-turn
    - Tailwind

With a 1/3 of my team decided upon I noticed immediately that I needed something to handle M-Venusaur or I would have a rough time in the tier. Talonflame is such a common Pokémon I didn't want to use it initially but it's effectiveness is hard to overlook. Priority Brave Bird is the name of the game and gave me much needed Flying coverage. Flare Blitz is a pretty obvious second choice for STAB and coverage as is U-turn for scouting and forcing switches. Instead of Roost I decided to give Tailwind a try since my team doesn't NEED to have Talonflame to function and this way I can give some of my slower Pokémon a chance to clean up with their 3 turn doubled Speed. I have been running this particular Talonflame EV spread for a while now with Sharp Beak and I love it. Max Attack and Adamant for for the strongest possible Brave Bird, 72 HP for an odd HP number and a bit more bulk allowing it to take a little bit more recoil before going down, and 184 Speed just for some quick U-turns. Gives it's 334 Speed letting it U-Turn against non Scarf Garchomp which has come in handy on several occasions.

[​IMG]

Breloom @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Mach Punch
    - Bullet Seed
    - Rock Tomb
    - Spore

Ah good ol SashLoom. Decent coverage and power along with STAB priority and Spore. Another very common set but my personal favorite one to use. The sash let's it survive many instances when it shouldn't allowing you to get the upper hand on your opponent by putting a crucial sweeper asleep or my simply KOing something faster than you.

[​IMG]

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
    Ability: Thick Fat
    EVs: 244 Atk / 12 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Icicle Crash
    - Earthquake
    - Freeze-Dry
    - Ice Shard

Next up is a Mamoswine. It is such a good offensive Pokémon it is ridiculous! Wonderful dual STAB coverage, solid Attack, and respectable bulk make teams that don't prepare for it regret it immediately. Icicle Crash and Earthquake and obvious STAB moves with great power and a chance to flinch with the former. Ice Shard is for priority against Dragon and Flying types and gives me a total of four different typed priority attacks all with STAB from their respective Pokémon! It also helps Mamoswine get past it's lack luster speed. Freeze-Dry in a move that is rather uncommon on Mamoswine as most people will run Stealth Rock, Stone Edge, Superpower, and even Endeavor with a sash set but it has one VERY big selling point. With a Naive Nature, Life Orb, and 12 SpA investment Freeze-Dry lets Mamoswine 2HKO physically defensive Rotom-W, which is arguably one of its best counters. It also lets Mamoswine deal x4 damage to any Water/Ground types it may encounter though they are fairly uncommon. Aside from that it gives it some SE damage against Water types but honestly Earthquake will still be doing move damage overall due to it's significantly higher Attack stat.

[​IMG]

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
    Impish Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Defog
    - Roost
    - Stealth Rock

Last but not least I added a defensive Skarmory on my team just so I could have some hazards and Defog away my opponents. I am fully aware that it kind of kills my entire teams momentum but I needed something to tank a hit or two and, as I already mentioned, to lay rocks and Defog. I did opt for Rocky Helmet over Leftovers as well just because the team is a bit more offensive and it gives me a chance, though very situational, to kill a very low HP spinner before they can remove hazards. It also let's me deal some chip damage to a wide variety of physical attackers. I also went ahead and added a few EVs into SpD just to take neutral and resisted special attacks better as well, mainly from Fairy types.

-----------------------

Well that is the team. I know it isn't the best and the fact I only have 1 Special Attacker can be troublesome but all in all this team is very effective just because it forces a lot of switches and has a lot of priority to choose from to finish off weakened Pokémon. Any thoughts or ideas about the team and any changes? I greatly appreciate any and all feedback! ^^

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Palmtree

Palmtree School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    I feel that if you have a support move like tailwind on your Talonflame that should merit Roost as well.

3. ninJAS

ninJAS Proud new daddy!

O_O
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11.8
    Ultra Ball
    As I stated the whole purpose behind Tailwind is in a one time last ditch effort to give one of my slower Pokémon a chance to clean up if it is in against a Pokémon it can't touch at all or I simply can't afford to switch out. I mainly use my Talonflame as a pivot anyway rather than actually straight up attacking with it which means it will survive for a good portion of the battle even without any recovery.

4. Wispy

Wispy Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽5.0
    It looks to me like a Mega-Manetric on the opposing side could rip holes in your team with electric (thunderbolt) fire (flamethrower) coverage, only having one counter and nothing else to really deal with it could prove problematic if they get rid of the mamo. Also ive seen many people run hidden power grass, so that could take a decent chunk out of the mamo if they predict the switch.

5. ninJAS

ninJAS Proud new daddy!

O_O
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11.8
    Ultra Ball
    I have battled several Manectric in the past and it hasn't been that big of an issue since I have so much priority on the team as well as the ability to sack Talonflame, get up a Tailwind and outspeed with Mamo, Breloom, or Crawdaunt to finish it off. It can be an issue if I can't work around it carefully though so it is something to watch out for.

Just wanting to make it clear that I am open to changing this team around a bit so feel free to post any Pokémon suggestions as well ^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.