1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Just how broken do you think Mega Salamence is?

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by 999HP Shedinja, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 999HP Shedinja

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    I've fought quite a few on PS! today, and I've taken down one or two. Those things are nasty. One DDance and you're pretty much done, with people OHKO'ing you with a nearly 200 Power Return or 234 Power Double Edge. And that's neutrally effective.

There was one incident, however, where I came pretty close to killing another one, but hax owned me. Plus the fact that the guy was a really crafty cow. I let him OHKO two of my least-needed Pokémon with Double Edge, and then I sent out my Scizor. Yes, Bullet Punch. But he had reflect up, and I did 14% of the 25% he had left. He Fire Blasted me (really?) and I thought oh well, I've got a sash, and he burns me. Scizor died, and that was the end of that match. WOW.

I've suffered some other not-as-haxy sweeps from Megamences. It's almost certainly going to be Uber, but how soon do you think it's going to be banned? Do you think it will be at all? I mean, some people think Mega Gengar shouldn't be Uber (I think they're crazy).

[3D='373']

2. DracoFeathers

DracoFeathers D to the R to the A C O!

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    I don't know myself how broken Salamence is, but I'm not competitive so really it doesn't matter to me. I'll still have one because I love dragon types and it's already powerful without a mega form. But I would imagine it's OP by a lot lol. Also I like its mega design. I've heard/read that some people don't but I don't see why really xD Oh well, everyone's entitled to their own opinion,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hylian

Hylian Hero of Hyrule

Captain Falcon
    (Torchic)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽71.0
    All I can say about it is that it is definatly going to ubers.

4. Spammernoob

Spammernoob A Spammer or a Noob?

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.8
    I think it should've gotten 125 Speed and more Attack. :P

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Rafael

Rafael Math Geek

Odd Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,073.8
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★
    I think they should just quickban it to Ubers on Showdown. I can't even think of any counters for it :/

6. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    It's one Pokémon that I can say with utmost certainty LV won't be unbanning, when Smogon does ban it. It has no true counters.

7. guimartgon

guimartgon Competitive Blog Writer

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    Stupidest Pokémon in ORAS. The sooner the ban the better.

8. Spammernoob

Spammernoob A Spammer or a Noob?

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.8
    Aw... don't be mean to my li'l boomerang. D:
    Besides, it will suck in Ubers 'cuz of Mega-Rayquaza's OP-ness.

9. 999HP Shedinja

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    @Spammernoob
    Yeah, THAT thing might be banned from Ubers. But I may be wrong, we'll have to wait and see.
    @[member="Satix"]
    Damn right!

Well, that's some wishful thinking for it not to be completely outclassed in Ubers.

Thanks for letting me know what you guys thought about it! I'm thinking they're definitely going to ban it in about a week and start suspect testing as soon as possible.

10. Srinator

Srinator Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    "Rhyperior, Skarm, Mega Aero, Zapdos seem the best counters to megamence, lando-t and whatnot check it though. It cant run all of Fire Blast, EQ, Outrage, Return on the DD set. It has 4 mss. Bronzong also is a great counter and check and very underated in the metagame."

11. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    The sub-DD set demolishes all listed after a few boosts. Salamence is usually run alongside specs Magnezone specifically for steel types. In addition to that I'd like to add that with the right EV spread, Rotom-W's volt switch and Scizor's bullet punch can't break the substitute. Apart from Rhyperior's stone edge and Skarmory's whirlwind, there isn't much they can do to a sub-DD Salamence, which is the most common set. I'd also like to note that DD-Dragon Claw-Fire Blast-Return has a method of dealing with all listed counters.

12. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    When I fought against Mega Salamence the first time, I used Thunder Wave with Thundurus and Ice Beam with my Greninja..After all, it is only another Pokémon, has his counters, has his checks, and bla bla bla...The things doesn't change too much...There will be always a counter for your team...all depends in how you play the game because even if you have the correct counter...your decisions (and hax) can do the difference in the battle

13. Northwind's Call

PokéPoints:
    ₽91.5
    Shed Shell Skarmory is almost a necessity on teams due to its ability to Whirlwind away boosted mega-Salamence behind Substitutes and escape from Magnet Pull Magnezone, but the strategy falls apart after being hit by a stray Knock Off. Life Orb Greninja also seems to be able to threaten Mega Salamence unless it has a Dragon Dance up, while Scarfed Greninja can shut it down after one Dance and Focus Sash can shut it down unless it's camped behind a Substitute.

I'd rate it far more of a problem than Mega Mawile and Aegislash were. Definitely eagerly awaiting a ban on this bad boy. :(

14. Pяofessor Rex1

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    To be honest, I think that the ORAS OU ladder has proven just how much MegaMence is over centralizing and overpowered. Its combination of incredibly high bulk, incredibly high Attack, incredibly high Speed, and an incredibly vast movepool. I see very, very few reasons that Mence should not be quickbanned, or at the least suspected.

First, off, let's bring in his immense bulk, something that was a bit of a wild card when MegaMence was announced. It has 95/130/90 bulk, which is extraordinary for any Pokémon, be it a wall, tank, sweeper, wallbreaker, etc. It has higher Defense than Slowbro (not mega of course), and coupled with Intimidate, it can set up on pretty much the entire physical spectrum of the metagame. It sets up on fully invested Landorus-T, who has a sky high 145 Atk stat, for those who forgot. Besides Mamoswine and Weavile, M-Mence can just DD and go off on any physical attacker, which is just stupid for a sweeper with an Attack stat of 145, coupled with Aerilate. Can even Azumarill 2hko this, if it has HP and Defense investment? It's possible, but all Mence has to do is DD once, and then fish for a miss, or just KO it with a +1 Aerilate Return. His decent 90 SpDef and Dragon typing can also let him set up on a wide array of the special metagame, such as Keldeo, Landorus, Charizard formes, etc. Dragon typing gives him an incredible amount of resists, and with his 95/90 bulk, it'll let him get up a DD or two, which is all he needs to obliterate an opposing team. Point is, incredibly bulk lets him set up on an incredibly big amount of mons and then threaten them with an incredibly high Attack stat coupled with an incredibly stupid ability in Aerilate.

Second, that Attack stat is the complement to its insane bulk. 145 base Atk along with one of the most powerful abilities in Aerilate puts his Attack at sky high levels. After 1 or 2 DD's (which is incredibly easy to obtain, thanks to his bulk which i mentioned previously), it 2HKO'es almost the entire tier, barring very bulky resists (Zapdos, Skarm, etc). This is true for a lot of good sweepers, so I guess it isn't as incredible itself. However, this Attack that many, many OU sweepers are jealous of, with the incredible bulk needed to set up, and finally the Speed to outspeed all relevant Scarfers (bar Greninja LOL), make it inherently broken.

Lastly, as if that wasn't even enough, this monster has a movepool wider than the ocean itself. Draco Meteor, Hydro Pump, Fire Blast, Outrage, Return, Roost, DD, Refresh, Substitute, Hyper Voice, etc. This is just the icing on the cake. It completely makes this Dragon one of the most broken things that OU has ever seen. This movepool (along with a very good 120 Special Attack stat) makes it incredibly versatile, and allows for so much creativity with this, that teams that may be built to counter the SubDD set (which is definitely the best and most used set, which is hard to counter in itself), it'd just get shredded by any other set that this thing can run. Rhyperior? Hydro Pump. Skamory? Fire Blast. Electrics? Outrage. Now, admittedly, this case is slightly different than Greninja, who can run whatever the hell it wants and still kill shit. True, sets become subpar, but it can be worth it to just obliterate a said "counter" and then proceed to sweep the opposing team. Its unpredictability is just too insane, and this sends it wayyy over the edge. Point is, his movepool is just too expansive to even consider in OU, especially with his stats.

My main point is Mega Salamence for Quick Ban. His bulk, Speed, Attack, ability, and movepool is just too much for OU to handle. This thing needs to go.

Reckless likes this.
  15. Sugar

Sugar Pokemon Coordinator

Deoxys Egg
    (Deoxys Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,357.1
    Okay, so people are all over this thing, calling for a quick ban. I'm personally against it, so I'll quickly discuss ine of the ban reasons. But first, some backstory.

People who keep saying that Mega Mence has no counters are far off from the truth. Now let's look back at BW Hydreigon arguably the best Pokémon in the meta game at the time, for just a moment. As soon as he got Superpower in BW2, Blissey & Chansey, his two best counters got thrown out the window. Now was he over centralizing? Absolutely not, since he had a myriad of hard checks, also if I recall correctly, nobody complained. Back to the topic at hand, Salamence Mega is no BW Hydregion, not by a long shot. Yes, I would consider it over centralizing, but people throw around the word "broken" & "overpowered" too much. Neither should be used when discussing such a Pokémon.

Okay, back to Salamence Megas so called "lack of counters". Like every Pokémon ever, they have only four moveslots, & you can't cover everything, I know. Now let's look at Mence-M's standard set DD / Return / Substitute or Roost or Refresh / Some even Earthquake, something along the lines of this. Some even run special or mixed sets. Cresselia is a solid counter to most, if now all of Mence-M's sets, due to its natural bulk & staying power in Moonlight & can even use Reflect if it wishes.

I'm typing this from my phone, so I'll add more when I get access to my computer.

16. Skullbash

Skullbash I will become the Pirate King

Ralts ♂
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,895.3
    GS Ball ★★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Anything with ice shard>Mega Salamence. That's what I think lol

17. BoB backwards

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Ok, so I heard all of this talk about how OP Mega Salamence is. So, I made one on Showdown and put it on it's own team (all alone, nothing else.) I figured that if it was really OP, then it could tear down everyone with no problem. But it didn't. It was actually kind of disappointing. In half of the battles that I had, an Ice attack one-shot me. Turns out that it wasn't just the double weakness. Moonblast one-shot me. A Sucker Punch dropped me to 30% HP. I did sweep a few teams, but that just shows that you need to be prepared for it. This thing doesn't deserve a ban, it has plenty of counters.

Moves: Dragon Dance, Return, Outrage, Earthquake
    EVs: 4/252/0/0/0/252
    Nature: Adamant

Suggestions for Counters:
    1. Choice Scarf Gardevoir with Moonblast.
    2. Anyone with Ice Shard
    3. Latios with Ice Beam

18. TheBlazingInfernape

TheBlazingInfernape Gone, probably forgotten

Wildfire
    (Monferno)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽111.7
    Dare I say Mega Rayquaza has some company in AG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.