1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Lake Valor Café

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Reckless, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    There's more to both of them than just the holidays they've spawned, but basically Christianity has made the impact it has because the people with the most power in the world over the last many centuries promoted it and championed for it, at times violently. I'm no Christian myself, but that is the objective reason why it has made such an impact on culture.

Depends how you were learning about it, too. If you were learning about it in the context of history and how it was relevant to the history of a culture you are studying, then I think that's fine myself. That's the extent I think it should be taught in public schools. Beyond that when teaching is just subtly masked preaching, well that's bullshit in a public education curriculum.

I'm an agnostic-atheist but even that being the case, it's foolish to ignore the historical impact of religions on society. It wouldn't be a complete education of history if you did. Just have to watch how far it's carried.

2. Splasher

Splasher Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    We were learning about Rome and how it became a huge empire, but over time, it slowly fell. And basically right in the middle of our textbooks there was a HUGE lesson about Christianity, its origins and how it spread. I don't even believe that Jesus existed considering that it's impossible to come back from the dead. :v

Seriously they just slapped information that we don't even know if it's true or not. We don't even know if there was a Jesus. We don't know if there was twelve apostles, or Paul and that other guy who spread Christianity around the Empire. All we know is that there was Christianity at some point.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    I see. Well yeah quality of info is important..honestly it wouldn't even have to be more than "Christianity started here, this is what the beliefs were, spread during this period, had this effect on the culture". That's relevant. Guess it depends on what about it they claim are historical facts. Some things about it are, a lot is conjecture and faith at best.

Oh well. Rome was kinda neat overall. I see shades of Rome in America sometimes.

4. Kuroida

Kuroida Hex Maniac

Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽40.7
    Oh man that reminds me of the time someone nicely asked me if I could do a survey for their psychology course. And I said sure because heck why not. And it turned out to be like this hr long conversation about religion and my views and "who is jesus christ" and I swear the thoughts coming out of my head were "herp...derp....Michelangelo...."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Garudarocks

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    I had to learn about Islam in my school :/ WAY more than I wanted to...

6. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    As a joke, me and my friends always said that if we wrote down "I love god" on every page of our junior cert religion exam we'd get a pass. God I hated that old textbook, and the crummy report an old nun forced us to do as part of the junior exam. I was a wilding back then, so I probs gave the assignment a half-assed attempt. Currently I'm atheist, but I keep it a secret from my grandpa. He's always calling me a pagan, blah-blah-blah.

Always remember the one word I picked up from my 1st year religion classes: "denomination".

7. Garudarocks

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    Not gonna start an argument over this, but, as a Christian, I personally think the denomination shit is pretty fuckin stupid.

8. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    Yeah kind of is, a core belief system gets splintered off over petty little things like certain rituals and interpretations of specific passages. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.

9. Splasher

Splasher Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    That moment when you're home alone. When you have nobody watching over you. When you can do whatever the hell you want, whether your parents would allow it or not.

It feels gooooooood.

10. Kuroida

Kuroida Hex Maniac

Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽40.7
    Oh I miss those days. Now a days I wake up. Go to school. Get home. Go to bed.... Uni's a bitch -_-

11. Kaity

Kaity Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    That is like...Totally the story of my life, also adding work into the mix..Gotta love university. 8D

12. Garudarocks

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    This... Is why I don't wanna go to college lol

13. Kuroida

Kuroida Hex Maniac

Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽40.7
    Yeah. Don't do it. Run. Run faaar away.

In high school (which I loved btw) I entertained this idea of going to graduate school after my bachelors and thus staying at least 2 years longer. Now I'm 2nd year, dying and that idea's been thrown forcibly out the window.

14. Splasher

Splasher Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    KAITYYYYYYY *hugs*

I have to go to middle school next year and there's 4 minutes between classes. :v

15. Garudarocks

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    Wait til high school >.>, and, the thing about college is that it all depends on what career field you want to go into, so for people like me, whose future job choice doesn't require a degree, just a diploma, then going to college is pretty fuckin' useless. lol

16. Kuroida

Kuroida Hex Maniac

Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽40.7
    I had a much smaller circle of friends in middle school since I went to a small school in the middle of nowhere. Then highschool hit. 2500 kids with a shopping complex across the street and clubs and fun courses. Sure there were stressful times. Grade 11 was probably the worst because university terror kicks in violently but by grade 12 you knew what you were good at, what you could do vs what you wanted to do and the sky was the limit really :P

And then uni takes your like 200ppl circle of friends and makes it so you never see them ever again.....I have friends in different programs and we can be on campus together at the same time and still not ever see each other....

17. Garudarocks

PokéPoints:
    ₽55.0
    I can adapt to new people lol, I've moved enough times to learn how to do that :)

18. Kuroida

Kuroida Hex Maniac

Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽40.7
    But in uni we don't talk to ppl. Like we sit in class. Quietly. While the prof lectures and we write notes. And then we go out and do assignments and projects and study together but we never "hang out" like we do with ppl in high school and share funny stories and random shit. In high school I'd know if my friends liked this TV show or had a fear or spiders or if they had siblings. In uni I can't get to know anyone because everything's all about the stress and the work and "what did you get on the assignment" and "Explain to me this thing in lecture" and "can i borrow your notes".....And then there's some lectures that have 300 ppl in them and you'll never see the same face more than once all year....

Yeah. Real uni hater right here....

*edit: I really want to know why my posts always change text sizes in the middle of my sentences...

19. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    College is way better than secondary school. I feel compelled to study for once and stuff. On the social front, I talk to a lot of people there, but the only time they want to 'hang out' is over some drinks in some nightclub or another. Stupid drinking culture here. I'd be proper pissed off if I hadn't already grown up knowing I'm better by myself, sad but true. I simply refuse to be lead like a sheep. :/

20. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Hey Raptor, how did you get in to college so young? You're 15 according to your profile so, just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.