1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Lake Valor's Big Update [Full Changelog]

Discussion in 'Valor Archive' started by Achromatic, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Lake Valor's Big Update is here!
    You heard right. We've been teasing it for a few weeks now and we're proud to announce that Lake Valor's big update has finally arrived. This thread will be detailing all of the changes we've made and giving you an in-depth look at some of the new features you can utilise, currently only on the updated Palette Town theme (which you are now using). Let's do this.

THE HOMEPAGE

Where would we be without our beautiful homepage? It has received a pretty massive aesthetical overhaul, making things look more visually pleasing for your enjoyment. Works great on mobile displays and won't eat up your data! Yay!

Talking of mobile, some other small changes have been made to the index to make it look prettier and way less ugly on mobile. Enjoy.

Tip!
    Don't like those pretty images? Click your username go to your Preferences in the dropdown. You can turn them off from here.​

THE SIDEBAR

Sidebars rule, and you can bet your bottom dollar that ours does too. Not much has changed here, it just looks a LOT better. Why not go see for yourself?

However, that's not all! You can now view new threads AND posts from our sidebar. If you want to catch up on the latest discussions around Lake Valor, this is the perfect way to get involved and be in the know about all of our latest content. Additionally, there is now a sidebar tab for Important threads and announcements. Like this one!

NAVIGATION, NAVIGATION

Our navigation menu has also received a bit of a visual update. The search bar is now located there, and in general it looks a lot neater and prettier. We hope you like this change.

PRETTY PROFILES, NEW FRIENDS

You can now add other users as friends! This feature is still in testing and is a little buggy, so bare with us. But basically, no more following! The friends feature was a popular and important part of Lake Valor, and we're not Twitter so friends have replaced the following system.

One of our future goals is to give YOU the ability to customise your profile with HTML and CSS, but no promises yet!

Tip!
    You can add someone as a friend by going to their profile and clicking Friend. Who knew?​

GET THE CONVERSATION GOING

It's now easier than ever to send someone a PM. Simply do so from underneath their avatar in their posts or go to their profile click the start a conversation button. No, you can't start one with yourself.

Tip!
    People still can and will report any PMs you make that might infringe upon LV's rules. Think twice about what you send to someone via PM!​

Donating PokéPoints - EASY!

That's right. We've also made it super duper easy to donate PokéPoints. You see that conversation button we showed above? Well, right below it is a button you can use to donate PokéPoints (our virtual currency) to any user you like. Before this was a hassle and just downright confusing, so we hope you enjoy the convenience.

NEW BB CODES

You love posts. I love posts. We all love posts. To make our posts beautiful, we decorate them with CSS in the form of BB Codes. It's all over LV. Making your letters bold, underlining them, changing the colour or even the font choice. These have become a massive part of forums in general and LV has realised we need to up our BB Code game. So we did!

Several new BB Codes are now accessible. Resize your images automatically, add tab containers (as requested), put stuff in an accordion, put images to the left or right of your text... ect, ect. I'm using a few of these in this announcement right now! More will be coming soon, so keep your eyes peeled.

PALETTE TOWN PINK

That's right, Palette Town now has a pink version which can select from your style selector below. This skin is different only in that it's pink. All other changes remain consistent with Palette Town itself! We hope you pink fans out there like this.

Tip! Both Palette Town and Palette Town (Pink) themes work flawlessly on mobile devices and desktop too. However, if you have any issues we encourage you to use our Bug Report thread.​

FINAL NOTES

This project was a labour of love with the goal of bringing LV forward as a forum. We hope with these changes LV will be even more fun to browse and even more accessible for new users to enjoy, but we're hardly finished! More changes will be worked on consistently throughout the coming year and onwards.

Support will mostly be dropped for the original Palette Town (Traditional), except for important bugs and vital features. If you want to be where the action is, use the regular Palette Town theme.

Big thanks to everyone who worked on this theme and for all of YOU for being so patient.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  2. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    @ClefairyKid Thank you for all your hard work and help with this theme!

ClefairyKid and Cadbberry like this.
  3. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Amazing job on this! Love the new look! Keep up the hard work guys!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Ryan likes this.
  4. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    Finally, the pink is restored, I am anew

Ryan likes this.
  5. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Ah, I was wondering when this was going to go up. I know it had been in the works for a while, and aesthetically, it's quite good. I am not sure how much I can say on new vs existing features, because I know the New Threads/Posts side bit was there before, as was the Start a Conversation button. But that's neither her nor there, I suppose.

Some observations that I notice, or would otherwise like to bring to attention:
    :: The Background Changer is currently absent. I know the feature currently wasn't perfect - it didn't take effect unless the page was refreshed, and would usually reset when the browser was closed. Will the feature be coming back in some capacity in the future? (I did like the option to pick various images, and as pretty as the current image is, scrolling down there's nothing but dull purple, so I would use the BG Changer to swap that.)

:: The Member of the Month sidebar bit is also absent, though I don't think that's been there for a few days now. Where did that end up?

:: I also can't find the Friends feature in the User CP, and I thought it was there before - though I could be mistaken. I don't see any Friends listed on my profile either, so at present I don't know where to find the feature.

:: In postbits, the Start a Conversation takes the form of a small white envelope right below the usertitle. It stands out quite a bit, but that could also make it look awkward. Would it look better elsewhere on the postbit, and/or as a different appearance? (First thing that jumps to mind is a tiny button that says 'PM', though either way, I feel it might look a little better placed further down the postbit somewhere - either right below the userbar, or at the bottom below the active Inventory.)

:: Not sure if this is a weird coincidence or not, but on the BB Code list, the user=id example is my username. Is the list designed to always display the user=id of the browser, or is that actually my name on there no matter who's viewing it?

:: Another weird thing, and it may be just me, but on the Articles section on the index, on the sentence "Read and write your own articles here!", the 'here!' goes onto the next line for some reason, even though there's plenty of space still, and no other forum sections have any words going on to the next line either.

:: On the forum index itself, I have a suggestion. Right now, the Latest Post for each forum section is placed right below the description, and aligned flush to the left. Is it possible to instead indent the Latest Post bit slightly? I believe that will help make it more visible/noticeable, and look less like a small jumble of words all in a column.

These aren't complaints of any kind, mind - they are just suggestions that I feel may help improve the appearance. I actually don't have any complaints about this; everything still looks quite nice and I commend the time and effort spent crafting it. I tend to analyse new things as they appear, to see if they could be refined further, so my words are to be taken simply as advice.

Ryan likes this.
  6. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    The new update looks great guys! Thank you so much for working hard on this; it really paid off!

Ryan likes this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Hopefully. The old one was just dreadful and apparently only visible to staff members.

It goes away when the nomination cycle begins.

The follow system was removed because it was too confusing and replaced with a friends addon. You can send a friend request by clicking here. There's a bug with the addon right now but it's being looked at by the developer.

It's a huge pain to move around and honestly I'm pretty burned out. Beside that, I do like it where it is now so it's not likely to change.

It's always designed to display the user=id of the user viewing it. It says @Satix for me. It knows who I am, and it's coming for me.

That's strange. What's your screen size? Neither Ben or I were able to replicate this (and Ben has a small screen). Are you browsing on a phone?

See above.

Thanks for the feedback/questions!

Some changes that have been made since launch:
    • Fixed an issue where the search bar covered the "Log In" and "Sign Up" buttons for guests (Thank you, @ClefairyKid!)
    • Hid the "Welcome block" for guests when they're viewing on mobile devices.
    • Fixed an issue where the "Log In" and "Sign Up" buttons disappeared on mobile.
    • Fixed some colors that changed erroneously. Continue on.

#7 Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    ClefairyKid likes this.
  8. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    Big thanks to everyone, this is working way better on my Samsung now! You guys all did a great job on this and it REALLY shows. Let's give three big cheers for LV!

#8 Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Ryan likes this.
  9. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I know how hard you were all working on this and it really pays off! The front page looks great! <3
    And all the changes are very welcome!

Ryan likes this.
  10. Auric

Auric Platinum Addict

Another one!!??!
    (Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.6
    Black Glasses ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Soda Pop ★Oran Berry ★★
    Why can i donate to myself? I don't get any pokepoints but i still donated to myself.

11. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Because you can. Believe in yourself and give yourself the funds you deserve.

Rafael, Eclipse, Vigilance and 2 others like this.
  12. Auric

Auric Platinum Addict

Another one!!??!
    (Azelf)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.6
    Black Glasses ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Soda Pop ★Oran Berry ★★
    *failing very hard at hiding confusion* um.... Ok?

13. Dragonair

Dragonair Original 151

God
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽169.7
    Looks fantastic. As someone who appreciates a well put together site and more so the wheels that turn behind it, this ticks all the right boxes.

Propz to all those involved in making it.

14. Aewynessa

Pidgey
    (Pidgey)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽219.4
    Staff of VerityCrown of ValorBig Nugget ★★★★★
    This has been a great update so far! Congratulations to all who worked on this amazing update. Here's to a bright future for LV!

15. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    We hope you'll be a part of it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.