1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Lessons you’ve learned as a creator

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by awney, Sep 6, 2018.

1. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I don’t wanna limit this one to just art because I’m sure writers have also learned tons! But what are some lessons (not techniques) you have learned from creating?

I’ve learned that to be open minded because not everyone is going to like my art and vice versa. I’ve also learned not to treat art like a competition because that can be frustrating and makes me wanna give up immediately.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    I second keeping an open mind--sometimes that idea from a fan you initially thought was stupid may end up solving a problem!

In addition, listen to any feedback you get, both the praise and the constructive criticism. I have been more careful about editing thanks to some early feedback on "Pokémon Shine Diamond" that said that I was too wordy and it was hard to follow

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    On the lines of criticism, I learned to ignore hate and fake criticism. 'Fake criticism' is basically "I hate this, fix this" with no actual help but loads of hate. My horrific senior art teacher was prone to do this to every student (except the one he favored), including me. Constructive criticism is great, I love it and really want to have people giving me it for my art, but the fake criticism is all I've gotten in a long time- or just bland 'Your art is great, you need to go big!' comments.

4. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I have learned patience. Its easy for me to go and rush my ideas and stories onto paper, but without proper planning, they always fail. I've learned that I need to be patient and build the proper structure to my story and characters before I start writing words on the page.

I've also learned how to put myself in anothers shoes. When writing characters, people tend to write what they know. I've done this myself but now I'm changing my perspective away from what I know (the white male) and I'm experimenting with what it would be like for a female or for someone of color. Learning how to work with these kind of characters has boarded my understanding of those who aren't like me and helped me expand what I can write about.

awney likes this.
  5. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    The most important lesson I've learned is to only do it if you want to. For most of us amateurs, we're not getting paid, and even if you are getting paid, is the pay worth the shame or the misery of making art you don't want to make?

There's no shame in quitting if you're not enjoying it.

6. Geroniny

Geroniny The Spacecraft Of Miracle

Azure
    (Kyogre)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽771.9
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Blue Orb ★★★★★Charizardite X ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    My Biggest Lesson I Ever Learnt As A Artist Is Always Improving My Style While Expose Into Different Style To Gain Awareness And Get Inspired By Those Unique And Different Style Like I Will Able To Appreciate Different Type Of Art.

For Writing, I Learnt That It Is Okay TO Use Your Style But The Most Important Thing Is Grammer and Spelling And All Writing Skill To Attract The Reader.

The Most Common Lesson I Ever Learnt Across Both Writing And Art Is Always Seek Feedback, That's Always Make Your Writing And/Or Art Skill Better And Stronger Than Ever Before!

awney likes this.
  7. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I've always tried to put into practice to try to write at least one sentence, even if it is a bad sentence in your story a day, or you will lose most of the skill that you've built up when you were really into writing. That's just what I suggest doing and so far it has helped me.
    (Sadly I haven't had that much feedback on my story)

8. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I've learned that feedback can be hard to come by and just because your work has no comments doesn't mean nobody's reading or looking at it.

9. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I've learned to write for myself, not for other people. I still post my work, and I love it when I know that other people are reading and enjoying my stories, but I've learned to be proud of the stories that I've written, even if not very many people have seen it. I want to write work that I can be proud of, regardless of whether other people will enjoy it or not.

10. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    If you have a digital art program... flip your canvas every now and then. You're gonna cry the first few times, but learning to see things from both sides definitely helped me learn anatomy and perspective A LOT better.

11. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Mistakes happen all the time, keep calm and go with it