1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Let's speak English!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jupjami, May 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    English, one of the most common and universal languages in our world, and 'tis obvious that everyone here can speak it to some extent. That being said, I can't help but wonder, how fluent is everyone in this international speech~? Do you like to keep things simple, or doth thou be comfortable experimenting on and subsequently expanding thine array of methods to express thyself? Whatever the case, what is the extent of thy taste in words~?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 May 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  2. 1mightydragon

1mightydragon PKMN Breeder

Queza
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,415.8
    It depends really. As an engineer, I like to keep things simple enough that if I am trying to explain an idea anyone will be able to follow me but at the same time keep it technical enough to still be precise. But it really depends on who my audience is. Managers/ executives keep it simple. Engineers and mechanics more technical language is required.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jupjami likes this.
  3. bakugo

bakugo Camper

(Kyurem Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽588.7
    I tend to speak using simpler words, even though I'm a pretty fluent native speaker. I despise using million dollar words unless i have to, as i prefer saying something that others can understand.

Jupjami likes this.
  4. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I like to mix common and fancier words together, both in speech and writing. It usually makes my message easy to understand without making it sound too plain.

Jupjami likes this.
  5. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,275.0
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I can understand big words, but I can't remember them well enough that I can use them when speaking. I need to use that space for empty space.

Jupjami likes this.
  6. LassusVulpes

LassusVulpes Eclipse Holder

THE BIGGEST FLEX
    (Giratina (Origin))
    Level 55
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.1
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    翻訳サイトは素晴らしいです。日本語が話せない

Oop my bad. I like english except for some things. Arkansas (Ark-can-soul) What happened the the Pirate walk into the room?

Anywho . I mix between olden and modern speak . Like at times when I write i'll have mostly moderned and than with speaking i'll have olden .

Jupjami likes this.
  7. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,124.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Sometimes I tend to get verbose if I’m either mad or just acting weird (or if I need to make an essay for school longer haha). Otherwise I generally don’t get too fancy with my words.

Jupjami likes this.
  8. Champ

Champ Tuber

Ralts ♂
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽74.3
    Ultra Ball ★★
    I prefer to use simple words while speaking to my friends but I want to know more fancy and flowery words for my essay.

Jupjami likes this.
  9. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I speak really simplified, with the random fancy word thrown in, because there are just some words that don't have decent simple synonyms, and they're really fun to say.

I love to make fun of how stupidly complicated the English language is, especially in writing. There are so many rules that I swear nobody understands.

Jupjami likes this.
  10. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I speak a lot of fancy words, primary because English is hard and I have a hard time communicating it even though I'm a native speaker. My knowledge of complex words come in simply because my work as an author has helped me understand English really well, and when you are an author, you try to use the best words and not the common words. Since this helped in my communication relief, the complex word choice filled in the roll of the common words. I hate the language, but its the language I'm stuck with.

Jupjami likes this.
  11. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,943.7
    I generally don't put that much thought into the way I speak/write. I suppose I generally keep things relatively simple for ease of being understood, but I do use more complicated/unusual words when I have need of them.

Jupjami likes this.
  12. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    I understand more than I speak. I gravitate to using simpler words, because they are the majority of my vocabulary. If I really tried and had the help of a dictionary, I could speak more complicated, but I think my sentence structure is bad enough so it's a little bit harder to understand me haha

Jupjami likes this.