1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Let's talk about books

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Junkrat, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Although I don't read nearly as much as I used to, whatever books I have read, it seems no one else has heard of them. So, I suppose I read "underground" books. But, I'd like to have a little discussion about novels, maybe reignite my love for reading. So talk about books that you've read and really like. On the flip side... talk about books that you also dislike!

One of my favorite books of all time is called The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender. A mouthful, I know, but it really is a beautiful book. The writing is poetic and descriptive, and it makes me feel nostalgic for something I've never experienced. It's about a girl who's born with wings, but it's more about her family, and how love has, I suppose, ruined her family for generations. It's a book with mature and dark themes, so I wouldn't say it's for everyone.

I also really enjoy the Miss Peregrine series. I've read the first two books, but I haven't finished the last one in the series, Library of Souls, and I've had that for like... two years now? Man, oh man.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SawstheSawsbuck

SawstheSawsbuck Sir Sawsbuck

Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽560.5
    Master BallLegendary Triforce ★★
    I like reading true crime, solving murder cases and stuff about serial killers
    fascinating stuff

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    I enjoy thriller type of books. Halo has actually had quite a few engaging novels in the recent years and each one has been a fascinating read...I guess that's what to expect when I'm a die hard fan of the franchise.

Favorite authors; Michael Crichton, Clive Cussler, Tom Clancy, Jack DuBrul, Troy Denning

4. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I recently read the Miss Peregrine series, actually! The ending is a bit of a hit or miss for me, personally.

I don't read much (besides manga/comics) these days, however I really like fantasy/horror, such as Dracula (I surprised/scared my teachers by reading that in 4th-5th grade) and I probably would have liked Eragon if the hype over the film didn't scare me away at a young age.
    Now I also add in various 'teaching' books, such as art books, language books, and even cook books into the mix. >w>

5. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    I like classical mystery books the best, like Doyle and Christie.

6. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,384.3
    I'm currently hooked on Brandon Sanderson. He's a fantasy writer who's probably most known for his Mistborn and The Stormlight Archive series. He has a handful of other individual works as well, but the really cool thing is that all of his stories take place in the same universe. You'll see characters and concepts cross over from series to series. I'd definitely recommend picking up one of his stories if you like fantasy stuff.

Hikari likes this.
  7. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I've talked about books I like before, but I don't think I've talked about books I dislike before. There's really only one that comes to mind. I think it was called Flight or something. Had an interesting premise, but it just contained every gross/mature/controversial thing you could possibly imagine, all rolled up together and tied up with stereotypes. Maybe if I reread it now I would like it a little more than I did back in high school, but it would still be difficult for me to get back into.

8. Hikari

Hikari Poké Maniac

Ryu
    (Trapinch)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽450.7
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Ahh, I’ve actually been reading Christie’s Murder of Roger Ackroyd! I love Poirrot. And mysteries are one of my favorite genres.

One of my favorite series is actually the Magnus Chase series by Rick Riordan, because it makes me laugh so much. xD

ShinigamiMiroku likes this.
  9. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I'm not really much of a reader to be honest (although it is something I'd like to do more, because I feel reading would greatly improve my creative writing skills and grammar). This is mostly due to two main reasons. One, I find it incredibly hard to find books that actually interest me. I'm very picky when it comes to books. They have to have unique and interesting worlds and good characters to draw me in.
    And two, I don't have access to many books at all, and I don't think the local library is much good with their selection. I mean, I could buy books, but it much rather spend my cash on other things. Books are usually expensive as well, and I just don't feel like spending $20+ on something I'll probably only ever read once. Seems like a waste of money to me.
    Anyway, with that being said, out of the limited books I have read in my lifetime, the ones that stuck out to me the most were The Owls of GaHoole series and Lord of The Flies. I really enjoyed the former due to its interesting setting and lore. It was something unique, which is what I want in a book. And I liked the latter due to how interesting the story was.

10. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    This is something I relate to so well. I'm the same with fanfics too, haha, it's pretty rare for me to actually find books I like. I don't have a library nearby or a library card so a lot of the times I just end up having to go to a bookstore with my mom and hoping I find something interesting. I remember reading Lord of the Flies, it was pretty sad, and I watched the Owls of GaHoole movie, but never read the books.

11. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    I never really have read before for three reasons, I have a difficult time reading, I have a negative connotation with reading, and I'm extraordinarily picky. About the only story I've read is The Hobbit. Good book, but it suffers from novice writing syndrome. So much so that the final climatic battle consisted of the main character getting knocked out in the first second and missing all of it. Still like the book. I think my favorite part was the dragon riddle scene and the old eagles/crows that came to talk to the dwarfs. I don't remember what they were exactly.

12. Blair_Chandra

Blair_Chandra Torchic Queen

Blaze
    (Combusken)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽39.5
    One of the series I need to get back into is Rick Riordan's Magnus Chase set and the Trials of Apollo. I've read the first book in each one, but never had the money/time when the second one came out.
    I'd also like to get back into learning so sitting down with some fish/reptile books, leaning toward learning species/native areas would be super interesting.

13. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Susanne Collins is mostly known for her work on the Hunger Games, but have you read her older series of Gregor the Overlander? It's a fantastic set fantasy of fantasy stories about a giant underground society beneath the modern world, full of giant bats, rats, and cockroaches. Fun stuff.

On the other hand... A book series I cared less for was the Maze Runner. The first one was good, but the next ones kept hitting more and more cliche bumps and the plot got a little convoluted... X_X

14. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    I miss reading books. When I was a kid, I would read so many of them -- the library really was my favourite place to be because I could sink my mind and imagination into so much material.

Recently though, as I grew up, I found myself with less and less time to spare, and that included time to read books. I think in recent years I've been at a loss as to what I even find of interest to me anymore. Previously, I've been into non-fiction stuff because I like fantasy; I like the made-up setting and I like to see how authors can utilize their creativity to create a (hopefully) interesting story. Nowadays, I'm just not sure, anymore.

That, and the e-book market is making me question whether getting a physical book is even worth it. @_@ Decisions, decisions.

15. Laserdragon14

Laserdragon14 Dragon Maverick

Falchion
    (Honedge)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,429.1
    Flame Orb ★★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I loved reading books when I was a kid and I somewhat still do now. I just want to read one book at a time and the list of books that I want to read is just getting longer and longer. Right now I'm reading Harry Potter in secrecy so I really don't need to read books until I finished that. So I spend my spare time talking to you guys, writing, and video games. Anyway, when I was able to read I loved fantasy and mystery books the most.

16. U44151

U44151 Sailor

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽196.0
    The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender
    went through the initial descriptions of it and this really seems like my kind of book,thanks for the recommendation fella
    can never pass up on the chance to read some magic realism

17. DIO

DIO KONO DIO DA!

Legendary Egg
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽239.2
    I don't read new books anymore, unfortunately. Too lazy to find new books and strapped for cash most of the time. I should borrow some of my friend's from the book club and see what's up. I generally like a lot of fantasy books; mysteries are pretty neat too.

But when I go home for breaks, I'll usually reread at least one book. Sometimes I'll re-finish a series. My go-tos are usually pretty generic picks like Rick Riordan books, the Inheritance Cycle, Harry Potter, or Redwall books. I think it's mostly nostalgia.

18. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,229.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I got into reading when I was around 3. My reading level has always been above average, so I’ve often pursued books that were aimed for audiences a few years older than me.

As a kid, I loved the vast array of humorous middle grade books written by authors like Lincoln Pierce and David Pilkey. They made me laugh and engaged me at the same time. I don’t read those types of books anymore, but I look back on them fondly.

More recently, I’ve been interested in science fiction and contemporary fiction. At the moment, my favorite novels are Flowers For Algernon (an emotional roller coaster) and Children of Time (a long and engaging space opera).