1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Anime/Manga Looking for a new sports manga

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Absolute Zero, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    The title says it. I'm looking for a manga to read, since I've just caught up to the latest release of Battle Angel Alita's current series, and I'm looking for something new and different while more chapters of that are written and translated. Something I might be particularly interested in is something sports oriented, especially if that sport is martial arts. You see, the in the sequel series (Battle Angel Alita: Last Order) a solid half of that entire series took place during a (sci-fi, cyborg, off-the-rails) martial arts tournament, and 40% of that was fighting in the tournament while another 40% was about the tournament with fight prep, referee corruption, and reflection on personal growth. Even though it wasn't what I was looking for, I rather liked it. A character-driven epic not about saving the world, or even about getting stronger in order to save the world, but just getting stronger for pride and accomplishment. And I really liked that, it spoke to me deeply.

So I'm seeking a recommendation for my next manga, something that scratches the same itch, with really my only limitations being that I don't want subjectively obnoxious levels of fanservice, that I prefer martial arts over other sports, and that I prefer it to not involve magic (no "unlocking" of skills or just charging up your ninjutsu). All recommendations welcome, and if you're looking for a new series to read, maybe I can recommend something back to you and repurpose this thread!

(for various reasons, don't post links to free places to read the mangas online. Thanks.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    While it has an anime adaptation, Haikyuu is still a great read. It’s about a short middle schooler who wants to become a volley ball player after he sees someone win a major game. Along the way he has to learn how to play with people who have conflicting personalities.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bug

Bug Hiker

Kaen
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽185.4
    I'm really partial to Big Windup. It's got that same sports anime... Something, that feeling sports anime does so well. But, I find the characters refreshing.

4. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Ooh, thank you for the recommendations! Since Haikyu is an anime, I'll probably take the lazy way out and find some way to watch that instead. And Big Windup seems kind of dated... but I'll give it a try, and see if I can start to like baseball (again?)!

Now, I also think I found something that directly scratches my itch of being a martial arts sports manga, in case anyone else comes here looking for such a thing. I've only read one volume of it so far, but All Rounder Meguru seems to be what I'm looking for so far. It's following the title character Megeru as a fairly good but unenthusiastic Shooto MMA fighter who is getting back into the sport and getting his butt kicked by pros in training. I'm not educated in martial arts, but it seems very realistic so far, which I like. Grounded human characters mostly lacking obnoxious anime tropes, no magic or broken physics, actual gym training instead of chargeups... I have high hopes for it.