1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Looking for Paint Tool SAI tips!

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Fable_PH, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Fable_PH

Fable_PH Pixels and Paints

Sketch
    (Flygon)
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽307.1
    So I do most of my digital work in Paint Tool SAI, but I'm looking into expanding my artistic horizons and trying out new styles. Currently I'm super familiar with the lineart and pen tools, but I want to expand into digital painting. Problem is, I know nothing about the various brushes, how they work, and how I'm supposed to use them. The usual tutorials I find tend to assume a bit more familiarity with the subject than I have.

So, the question is, how the hell do you paint and use brushes in SAI?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Paint Tool Sai you say? Time to see what help I can offer.

- Use the 'Stabilizer' tool to sharpen/clean up your lines.
    This was a big thing for me since the majority of my lines ended up looking extremely choppy.

This guide HERE is something I refer to every once in a while, especially for coloring my pieces. I'd recommend that. (I stated the stabilizer stuff from there cause I feel that was the most important - at least for me.)

Another really good one
    An even better one

In the case that you've looked through these and want something simpler in regards to brushes, I would suggest some stuff:
    - Use varying brush thickness, sharpness for the initial sketch and then the lineart above it.
    - YT has a fairly good amount of beginner tutorials which I tend to rewatch. I find that even if I don't understand something the first time, noticing the changes by rewatching helps me understand what action took place.

If anything else comes to mind, I'll be sure to reply again but the majority of my experience lies in PS/GIMP tagging :p
    @Fable_PH

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...