1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Lore

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dawn, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    Whilst many video games have a narrative that is focused on a sequence of current events, there is often a wealth of narrative hidden in the world if you care to look for it, told by NPCs and in-game books, and in supplementary material outside of the game such as artbooks.

How often do you dive into video game lore? Are you content with what the game has to show you, or do you seek out additional information for greater context? In your opinion, which video game has the best lore that is not a compulsory part of the narrative?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Momo Kiseki

Riolu
    (Riolu)
    Level 30
    PokéPoints:
    ₽847.5
    Big Nugget ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    Video game lore is fun, it's part of the reason I play the games I play heck I dive into the lore of shows I watch because I've remembered something the tv show hasn't about its lore.
    For games though I dive in because they actually pay attention most times so I know I'm not likely to run into a massive glaring error *Coughs* Like having multiple of the same ranger in the legendary battle *coughs again*.

I can't really think of one which has the best lore in my opinion. I kinda like all the games lores. (Mainly cos I don't play quite enough games to choose one :sweat:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,983.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Depends really but in some games I tend to try read about it, like Skyrim that have all those books you can collect and read. I tend to pick those up and bring them back to whatever house I own at the time and try read and gather them all as some of the stories in the mare actually pretty nice.

As for the one with the best, I don't really have a pick because to be fair the only one I can currently remember is Skyrim.

4. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Oh, I always go looking for the lore of series. I can't ever play through a game without going as deep into the lore as I can without it getting too tedious and confusing. In my opinion, the lore is what makes the story strong, and the story is what is so appealing about video games to me.

5. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    The lore of Dishonored isn't very expansive, but it is well thought out. Each of the locations in the games are fully thought out and believable. Every building is a likely home or place of business that matches the local culture, the two specified religions are both fully planned and understandable, and there's even poetic injustice in how the bad god of the games gets his worship. He controls rats, which swarm and attack humans. Humans thrive on hunting whales, which is similar to how tiny mammal rats hunt big mammal humans. The whales then have magic artifacts carved from their bones to appease the evil god, who then controls the rats that swarm humans. It's very circular and well thought out.

But I have to mention Borderlands. In Borderlans 2 and 1.5, there's not only loads of fun and relateable characters to interact with, but dozens of audio logs for background details. Listen to the message a random bandit sent to his boss trying to appease the local arms dealer as if he's a god, or how one of the playable characters was abused as a child until learning to wield power as an instrument for freedom, or my favorite when you kill a wolf and find an audio recorder that has a message of "Here I go, out on my daily jog talking into an Echo Recorder like I do every morning like an ordinary person who leaves audio logs all over the place. Oh no, I'm being eaten by a wolf! If someone kills this wolf and hears this message, please kill the rest of the pack of the wolf that ate me!" And then you get a quest to go kill a bunch of wolves. Even then for just the most pointless quest ever, the devs made a fun insert into the lore for the players to laugh at, when they could well have just put the quest onto a signpost with no message.