1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Group RP Luminous (The Actual Campaign Featuring Convoluted Magic)

Discussion in 'Roleplay Institute' started by ChocoChicken, Jan 8, 2023.

1. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,366.9
    @ChocoChicken

Kanaru froze when she thought she heard someone telling her there were free drinks at the bard table. She wasn't sure who had informed her of this, but something told her to go over there. Luckily, she wasn't very far from the bards' table, and there wasn't much of a crowd to fight, so she decided to heed what the voice said.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,678.1
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    @WavePearl
    As she drew near to the Bard stage, the short silhouette of the reclining Cira waved up at her, an expression of satisfaction on her face as she looked at the few groups she had gathered.

Hey. You've been looking around, huh?
    the voice in her head said again - oh, that was definitely Cira's voice speaking, now that Kanaru could match a face to it, but her mouth never moved. Any thoughts on what you want to pursue yet?

She held up a cup of water towards Kanaru - at least, it looked like water. To the side, just out of the corner of her eye, Kanaru could also see another visitor to the stand spitting out their equally transparent drink. Odd.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,366.9
    @ChocoChicken

"Well..." Kanaru thought for a moment. "What combination of Luminous paths would I have to tap into to become a minstrel with magic in her song, and her bow? Bard is likely part of that..."

4. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,697.9
    Robin observed carefully. This was definitely not the kind of abilities that he had experienced before - let alone completely new to him. Sure, in the past he had winded up in an alternate world where magic was exclusively used to fight off monsters, where he relied on tomes to cast spells and swords to slash around with.

But this? Watching Sirènne control these constructs with her mind and making them perform at will was beyond Robin's understanding. Even if he were to use this sort of ability, what could he possibly summon? Sirènne seemed to have a good grip on controlling foggy clouds. Robin had no idea what he could with clouds, so something else would be practical. He could always default to something like casting spells, but yet he was curious to know how this worked. It was interesting to note that these constructs were - despite having been summoned - were physical and not apparitions.

If he had time, he would go up to Sirènne to ask more questions, although he felt nervous thinking about doing it. Was it because of the mysterious air she gave? Was it her beauty? Or maybe her stature? Robin felt out of place.

As well, he made note of the yelling in the background that a Luminous was essential in battle and also acted as his lifeline. At least Robin wouldn't have to worry about near death if he had allies nearby, but he also wondered what would happen if he passed out from a destroyed Luminous and there were no allies around. He was reminded of Poketto, where if the player character ran out of Poketto, they would simply black out.

ChocoChicken likes this.
  5. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,678.1
    @WavePearl
    Oldest spell in the book, song magic. Cira shrugged, still raising the cup towards Kanaru. For bows you gotta talk to Penelope or you know, an actual archer, she added with a smirk. Alchemists use em too, but that's a different story. That's just two spells, though. Two loaded cannons with no ammunition. What are you gonna do with those spells?

Also, you just gonna leave me hanging here?
    She gestured to the cup again. Free drinks, I said. Well I didn't say it, I beamed it into your mind, but whatever.

@122 Generation
    It looked like Robin's wish was granted. With the constructs ceasing to fight at one last command - and disappearing into one giant mass - Sirènne's presentation was about done. The crowd began to thin a little, but a few people remained as she descended from the stage atop her cloud. By her smile, it seemed as if she was waiting for questions, but everyone was a bit nervous to be the first one to ask...

(Jup, SAF, and ID, you guys can hop in with your prompts from the page before any time you want. When everyone's ready, I'll cue the next scene)

WavePearl likes this.
  6. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,056.6
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    If there's anything Elio could learn from Harvin's performance, it was the fact that Luminous casting may have unwanted effects when mishandled. Such effects may range from a simple boom in the face to other... less pleasant side effects. That, and it reminded him of that one part of Luminous 101 book stating that one needs to be considerably focused to avoid such accidents.

Like Trav, Elio also gasped (third yelp of the day?) when Harvin's Luminous started to react with the concoction.

WavePearl likes this.
  7. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,366.9
    @ChocoChicken

Given how Cira was insisting on the drink, Kanaru put any concerns about safety out of her mind, and took a sip of the drink. I hope this stuff is safe to consume...

8. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,678.1
    @WavePearl
    The drink was just water, a refreshing sip on a- wait, no, was water supposed to be that salty? In the glimpse of the liquid she caught as she raised the cup, the color looked different again - juice of some kind, perhaps apple? But then why was the bitterness of tea there in her mouth? Kanaru's senses seemed overwhelmed by the confusion, her body actively screaming to get it out - what was that?!

Cira's grin barely changed as her Luminous began to peek over the back of her bun, revealing it active the whole time. She snapped her fingers, and a quick flash of orange washed over Kanaru's cup. "Aha! And dispel - you should be able to see water again. That tell you everything about what Bard magic can really do?"

(As a joke, I did a "roll for gag reflex". It was 4. Take that as you wish.)

@SAF
    The reaction began to bubble and glow a... faint red... and settled, droplets of reddish magic suspended in a smoky liquid. A perfect recreation of the SOS signal Elio had used days before, just a smaller volume.

"...It worked fine this time. Why didn't it work earlier?" Harvin sighed, giving the test tube a slight shake. A small puff of mist escaped the top of the bottle, and he plugged a stopper in with a bit of a resigned slouch to his shoulders. "Sorry about... everything again. I hope that served as an adequate demonstration, though. Through the right combination of attributes, the spell has been translated into physical matter, and can then be saved for later activation. The same general concept applies to glyphs, which some of my assistants use."

He looked back up towards the now only four watching - Trav, Jared, Wakeng, and Elio. "Most of my other demonstrations were destroyed, so... I suppose I'm taking questions now, if you have any?"

(Next post belongs to @Jupjami .)

9. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,644.6
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    There was no static stuff this time, Wakeng thought, but shrugged. It wasn't like he was a master of the magick or anything who knew what that stuff meant. Poor guy though; a quick glance around the place showed that everyone save for him and Elio's group already left. Wakeng decided to humour him a little. "How do glyphs work? Do they work just like potions or is there a language of sorts they need to follow?"

ChocoChicken likes this.
  10. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,366.9
    @ChocoChicken

Kanaru sputtered to get the awful taste out of her mouth--never mind it was just water, in the end. "What WAS that?" she asked.

11. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,773.9
    Ando couldn't tell if the mock-battle he witnessed was improvised or planned ahead of time, but he was amazed nonetheless. The blows the Masters traded seemed like they would be life-threatening to an ordinary person, but the Luminous casters almost casually shrugged them off. A well-trained warrior enhancing their abilities through a Luminous would be invaluable on the battlefield, Ando thought.

He made a decision in that moment: this was what he wanted to study. He then asked the question that immediately came to mind: "If your Luminous is destroyed, how long is the recuperation time? Hours? Days?"

ChocoChicken likes this.
  12. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,697.9
    There was an air of intimidation that radiated from Sirènne's smile that made Robin wonder if anyone dared to ask any questions. Some who were not that interested in Summoning began to take their leave to other booths, whereas those that remained were nervous to ask anything.

Robin stepped forward, although he was nervous such that he couldn't look at her in the eye. "Um... Yun-san, was it? That was impressive. How do you do that, though? It's as if your Constructs have minds of their own. Is it difficult to learn how to use it?" Gosh, why was he nervous? He had faced worse than this.

13. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,678.1
    @Jupjami
    Harvin took a quick breath, more for his nerves than anything. "Both are partially correct. You see, the core of the Alchemist school is to take smaller, basic spells, and combine them into something bigger. Potions do so with solid matter, whilst glyphs work with symbols. The Luminous infusion process is relatively similar in that way."

"As for glyph 'language', there is still ongoing research as to that topic - it's fascinating, really. There appear to be certain common elements in glyphs that resonate better with certain spells, so a skilled researcher could theoretically predict a spell from its original glyph, but there's no exact set-in-stone language once you're past the basics - most casters have to experiment and find out for themselves."

He seemed to be growing more comfortable with the conversation as he went on. "If you'd like, I could direct you to more in-depth resources on the topic."

@WavePearl
    "A classic illusion prank," Cira laughed, the first actual word she'd spoken since the beginning of their conversation. "The drink was never juice or tea or whatever, I was never literally speaking to you. But your senses said otherwise, didn't they? That's what this school is all about - communication. Getting inside someone's head - reading it, putting stuff in it, whatever. So long as you make them believe."

@122 Generation
    "Oh, thank you. It's no different from casting any other spell. I just tell my Luminous what to do."

Sirènne waved a hand in the air, expression turning thoughtful. "Hm, difficulty.... Summoning takes a lot of coordination. People have told me it takes more practice than other schools. You have to learn to be aware of what you and your constructs are doing when they're out. It's a little like, say, commanding an army."

@ID Zeta
    "Like a physical fight, it depends on how badly you were beaten, and your own constitution." said Idra. On the floor next to them, Penelope raised a hand to be helped up, and they complied.

"Most usually, a caster will be passed out for up to a few hours. It's rare for a recovery to take over a day. Spells that restore energy will speed up the process as well. Ultimately, there should be no lasting issues. However, your opponent can always stab you whilst you're blacked out, so do remain cautious."

14. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,366.9
    @ChocoChicken

"I see..." Kanaru replied. "Is there any sense of music involved in this path at all? Most instances of this kind of class I've seen involve music of some kind..."

15. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,697.9
    Robin's eyes visibly brightened at the sound of commanding an army. That sounded like playing a real-time strategy game! He imagined Sirènne's description as if he were playing as two units in the same battlefield while watching from above. But as Robin thought more about it, he wondered if it meant viewing from the first-person view.

And of course, there was the factor that he had to keep an eye out for himself while commanding a construct. Because it wasn't like he could switch personalities to the construct if he died, so he would have to watch out for himself. Maybe it would make more sense to mentally order the construct what to do before watching his own surroundings.

"So... is it like the constructs have a mind of their own once you give a directive?" he asked. "Can't really see myself controlling one while leaving my actual body out in the open."

16. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,056.6
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Accidents aside, Elio found the premise of keeping spells for later uses fun -- and handy. But then there's one problem: which spells to keep? He clearly didn't even think that far.

So while the Alchemist Master was busy answering Wakeng's question, Elio quietly retreated and wandered around once again, eventually finding himself at the Transmutation stage.

17. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,678.1
    @WavePearl
    "It's more than just music," Cira started. "I guess there is that one spell. Most common name for it's Amplify, and it's kinda like those Battlemage and Alchemist infusions. Does what the name sounds like."

She picked up one of the other cups besides her, tapping it on the side before giving it a sip. "Can't Amplify nothing, though. Better start thinking of what else you should do."

@122 Generation
    "Well, that's one of the major challenges with being a Summoner. Mine protect me while I'm commanding them in battle, but others make them smaller. Less function, less focus, heheh. And some constructs aren't built for battle at all, like Aluto down here." She patted the cloud she sat on. "It'd say hi, if it had a conscience or free will."

@El Nino
    The crowd around the Transmutation stage prevented him from getting too close - Elio could just about make out what was going on from a good angle in the back, but not much better.

"Thank you, thank you." came a voice from the front - the pink-haired, glittering man onstage said, gesturing vaguely at someone in the crowd with a smirk. "Yes, this school covers material transmutation outside of self-transformation. Even Alchemists turn to us often."

18. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,366.9
    @Fletchking

Kanaru nodded. "Thank you--this is something to think about." She let that hang before heading over to the Duelist booth...

19. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,697.9
    Robin found it interesting that Sirènne had even opted to name her Construct. Maybe it was to differentiate between her summons or that there was some emotional attachment. "I see," he replied. "Could I possibly learn how to do it right now?"

20. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,056.6
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Transmutation. The art of transformation. According to what Elio had seen from the past several days, self-transformation seemed to be more popular among transmutationists. However, as the man on the stage had just said, transforming an object into another was also a thing in this school of magic. Curiosity ensued, Elio decided to listen some more.