1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Group RP Luminous (The Actual Campaign Featuring Convoluted Magic)

Discussion in 'Roleplay Institute' started by ChocoChicken, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,644.6
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Wakeng nodded his head. "That does sound interesting; I think I'll take you up on that offer one day." He then tilted his head as he thought to ask, "Any idea why your light ball crackled with static back then?"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,678.1
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    @122 Generation
    "Aren't you eager, little one? Well, if you have an active Luminous, you can come by my lessons later. If you have more questions after today, you can send them to the Masters' office."

@SAF
    "Hey, come here to check out this stuff too?" Jared's voice appeared suddenly behind Elio. Looked like he'd gotten bored of the Alchemist talk.

"You might not get much of an answer from Revelo now. Think his talk wrapped up earlier and now he's just taking praise from the audience." he snickered quietly. "But I know a couple things 'bout this kind of magic, so if you have any questions, hit me with it."

@Jupjami
    "You mean on my- my Luminous? I don't know what you're talking about." Harvin tensed up again. "I don't know any spells of that sort, I swear!"

(@ID Zeta is at 12-post limit, but Ando can interact with Kanaru now. FYI Idra and Penelope are still onstage and taking questions.)

(By the way, this scene's starting to get on the long side. I'll cue the next one by the end of this page, about one to two rounds of posts from now. If you still have stands you want to see, there will be another chance a bit later.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    WavePearl likes this.
  3. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,773.9
    Ando nodded along with the explanation. That all seemed to make sense. He asked the next question on his mind: "You were floating on your weapon earlier. What else can you make your weapons do?"

@WavePearl
    As he waited for the reply, he noticed Kanaru filter through the crowd. He raised an eyebrow for a moment; this didn't sound like the type of magic she would be interested in. "I didn't expect to see you over here," he said.

4. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,056.6
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    "Ah, Jared!" cue Elio's surprise when Jared suddenly showed up right behind him. A welcome surprise, to be honest. But the mention of the name "Revelo" got the whitehead curious. He looked back and forth between Jared and the man on the stage and asked as soon as curiosity took over, "Revelo? You mean, the guy on the stage?" Granted, all Elio knew about Revelo was that he's the Transmutationist Master, but that's it. Never even met the guy before.

5. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,366.9
    @ID Zeta

"I was curious to learn if Duelists know anything concerning archery." Kanaru explained. "That, or they can direct me to the school that knows of archery."

6. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,697.9
    "I see. Thanks very much," Robin replied. In truth, he wanted to know more about this skill, but it appeared there wasn't enough time at the moment.

He went to visit the Battlemage and Duelist booths.

7. Jupjami

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,644.6
    "Okay then," Wakeng nodded. "Suspicious response notwithstanding, I'm going to visit the other booths. Good luck with your spell problem," he said, walking away with a wave goodbye. He then pondered about the remaining booths, Bard booth's right next to us, though the upside-down girl seems to be talking to herself; and the stage right next to us is just muscleheads fighting, not really my style. Let's check the other side.

Seeing as Elio and his friends seemed bored waiting for the Transmutation master to stop flirting with the crowd, he ticked that one off. Vitality looked really busy, so that was out too. Looking at the two remaining booths Wakeng flipped a coin in his head and decided to check out the Summoning booth first.

8. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,678.1
    @ID Zeta @WavePearl @122 Generation
    "Anything you can think of, really." Penelope pulled herself up, stabbing her sword into the stage (to Idra's dismay). With a flick, a spectral copy of the blade shot to the side, and she stabbed that one into the stage as well. "This one's one of my favourites!"

Idra shook their head. "Well, outside of some weapon summoning and other movement spells that sync a wielder with their weapon, most Battlemage spells are infusions of Duelist spells, really. It's why our stage is a joint. Weapon infusion, much like Alchemist and Bard infusions, require a spell to infuse first, so it's more prudent to understand your spell before you go infusing it into anything."

"I think I heard someone mutter something about archery?" came Penelope's yell from onstage, as she balanced the spectral sword on its pommel. "Fun fact: Battlemage spells can work with any weapon so long as you can figure out a synergy. So, you can totally-"

Idra responded to that by summoning a small projectile, transforming it into an arrow-like shape, and firing it at a target on the other side of the stage. "Magical projectiles are Duelist school territory. Every shape, every size."

"For now, you can probably learn a 'spectral ranged weapon' technique like that from either of us." Penelope shrugged, and the sword fell away, disappearing. "But physical, regular-ol' archery can be used by Alchemists for things like glyph or potion-tipped arrows. Harvin and his team have some specialized crossbows, I think, but you'll need to ask him about those."

Idra checked the sky. "We only have a little time before the announcements at the Square. If you have any last questions for now, go ahead. We'll still be here after the announcement."

@Jupjami
    The crowd around Sirènne had thinned from earlier, but the Master was still there, her smile unmoving atop her cloud. Even as she faced Wakeng, her cloud lifted her to eye level with him. "Hello. You have questions, I assume? You've only got a few minutes left."

@SAF
    "Yep, that's Revelo." Jared shrugged. "He got his title through combat prowess. Constantly changing size makes him a hard target. And he uses that whole glass thing he's got going on as blades in battle. Hands, legs, anything - well, I don't know enough about it. He keeps that side of him on the down low. Bad for his public image, I guess."

Onstage, the man spread his arms, letting crystalline shards take form on his back - until the blades he'd formed began to flutter, and he slowly rose off the ground. Jared blinked. "Oh, yeah, you can do that too. See, that's why I'm going in this school! As a caster, I'm gonna push myself to the fullest. You'll see it someday. Jared Hui, greatest wizard of all time! You're the same, aren't ya, Elio?"

(By my next post, this segment will be wrapped up. Get your last questions in for now)

9. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,366.9
    @ChocoChicken

Kanaru applauded the sword display. "So, where can I find a bow?" she asked. She needed something a little better quality than what she had hastily thrown together back in the forest...

10. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,056.6
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    @ID Zeta @122 Generation @Jupjami @WavePearl

One look at Elio's eyes and Jared could've sworn there were stars in there. Between the blond's explanation and the master's demonstration, Elio's interest in transmutation was crystal clear.

The next step was to figure out what Elio even wanted to transmute into. He didn't really give it a thought at the moment until he saw a random cat passing by people's legs. For some reason it reminded him of the stray cats of his hometown while thinking it would be nice to be one too. No school, no work, just meow meow.

And then the "You're the same, aren't ya, Elio?" from Jared snapped the whitehead back to reality. "Huh? Yeah, yeah, I bet," he stammered, clearly not fully paying attention to his friend's passionate ramble.

11. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,697.9
    Robin watched with mild fascination at the demonstration before him. It didn't feel that long ago when he had taken up arms in similar fashion when he would be wielding a sword with one hand and casting spells from a tome with the other hand. The thought of fighting as a 'battlemage' reminded him of his past experience with magical weapons, although he couldn't recall casting spells from a sword. Could he possibly cast spells likewise? In this world, it was very different to his past experience. Just what sort of place had Naga thrust him into?

His thoughts were disrupted when Idra demonstrated an archery-like spell onstage. With that in mind, he had enough time for one more question and raised his hand. "Um... Is it possible to wield more than one ability at a time? Like, could I possibly use an ability from one of the booths yet also be able to cast Battlemage spells?" he asked, as he was assuming that everyone was limited to a certain class of abilities.

12. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,678.1
    @122 Generation

"Of course." Idra responded to Robin's question. "Anyone can learn any spell. The schools are only generalizations of magic types. Some spells can be argued to be part of multiple schools, and other spells - particularly focus-based ones like Alchemist, Battlemage and Bard spells - require a different one to function in the first place. Penelope's sword levitation spell is merely an application of a Duelist spell."

"Do be warned," they added. "Much like any other walk of life, the more you spread your focus, the less practice and strength you will have for specific schools. Keep your own time in mind."

@WavePearl

At Kanaru's question, Penelope immediately brightened. Though Idra tried to hold her back, she launched into her speech very quickly. "Need a weapon? An enchantment? A reforging? The Qingyin Forge has got it all! Family-run, this Battlemage-led business can guarantee grade-A quality in whatever it is you need! As an associate of the Jinguang guild, you may even be eligible for some discou-"

"Oh would you look at the hour." Idra quickly interrupted.

"Oops, sorry. Looks like that's all the time we have for now!" Penelope waved and hopped offstage, Idra following with a shake of their head.

@SAF @Jupjami @ID Zeta

Slowly, the scattered initiates and members alike of the Guild began to crowd into one huge mass alongside the east side of the square, just below the highest tower of the Guild's main building.

Trav approached Jared and Elio, waving for them to find a spot near him as he slid his way forwards. Jared waved for the other four (Robin, Kanaru, Ando, and Wakeng) to join them, holding his arm out to hopefully keep some space for them to show up in the crowd.

On the balcony above, a gauzy silk curtain fluttered in the wind, as if in anticipation to reveal whatever mysteries lay behind it.

13. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,366.9
    @ChocoChicken

(Apologies for disappearing for the weekend--tech difficulties!)

Kanaru made a note of the information. The forge seemed well run, and the weapons it made were high quality.

14. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,056.6
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    @ID Zeta @Jupjami @122 Generation @ChocoChicken @WavePearl

Among the gathering crowd was Jared unceremoniously dragging his whitehead friend to where Travolto was. Everything happened too quickly and now Elio found himself being sandwiched between the other two with him clinging on Trav for the time being. Then again, he was pretty short for someone his age, so he would be easy to miss in the crowd weren't it for the slightly messy white hair (but not quite a bedhead).

WavePearl likes this.
  15. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,697.9
    At the explanation that a given user could use multiple spells or schools of magic, Robin could only imagine the many hundreds - if not thousands - of possible combinations of spells that could result by wielding at least two spells at the same time. Thankfully, the extra comments from Idra and Penelope helped him put things back into perspective. If he had too many skills, then it would be difficult to develop existing ones (this was the sort of experience he had with playing the Generals of Hyrule video game). So he safely assumed that there was a limit to how many abilities he could acquire.

Soon enough, Robin found himself at the east of the square and had rejoined Jared. "Oh hey, what's going on?" he asked. There was a crowd that had gathered before the guild's building.

WavePearl likes this.
  16. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,366.9
    @SAF

Kanaru arrived some moments later. She wasn't sure why the crowd was present, but whatever the reason, it had to be something big. That and something was telling her that she and the others were meant to be here.

17. Jupjami

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,644.6
    (got a bit busy with school projects but I be back)

After asking some basic questions about Summons that were no doubt already heard by the cloud lady, Wakeng decided to join back with the other recuirts; who were all clustered together alongside most of the remaining people.
    "Busy street," the man remarked as he reached Elio and the others. "So, what's with the impromptu crowd, and how is it related to that mysterious balcony over there?" Wakeng started, pointing to said structure.

18. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,773.9
    Ando was satisfied with the answers the Masters had given him. He figured he could ask them more technical questions later if need be. He wandered around the square as he thought, taking brief looks at the other Master's stalls but not lingering too long at any of them.

The crowd gradually condensed under the Guild's highest tower. Ando noticed Jared waving to him and joined him and (eventually) the rest of his companions. "I suppose this is where the main event is happening," Ando mused aloud.

19. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,678.1
    "Well, yeah, and I'm pretty sure it's-" Jared started, before Trav cut him off with a hand over his mouth and a finger pointing upwards towards the balcony. Already, the rest of the crowd was doing the same, the chatter dying down.

The curtains wavered. Then a single hand, gloved in silk, parted them, silencing the crowd with its mere presence alone. The boys next to the party stood at total attention, too, nervousness and excitement reflected on their respective expressions. Even the pigeons on the streets stopped their cooing as a figure cloaked in pale robes stepped out.

Her face was impossible to make out, not underneath the shoulder-length veil layered over it with a woven hat. The draping, ivory fabric that made up her robes and gloves did little to help reveal any specifics of her idntity.

But everyone - both newcomers and residents alike - knew her name.

It didn't matter whether they heard it from the Masters muttering about work, or read it in the many places it had been inscribed around the Guild, or even only said it through whispers of hushed rumors in the past week. There was only one person who could have drawn silence out of a square in Yangto - and if the rumors were true, that was only the least of her abilities.

Olympia Kura, Master of the Jinguang Guild, stepped forward to make her announcement.

122 Generation likes this.
  20. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,366.9
    @ChocoChicken

Kanaru heard the crowd quiet. This is it...what everyone here has waited for! she thought as she bowed in respect before the guild mistress.