1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Group RP Luminous (The Actual Campaign Featuring Convoluted Magic)

Discussion in 'Roleplay Institute' started by ChocoChicken, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    This is sounding more and more like a typical isekai cartoon. "I just passed by the alleyway I take on my way home and then the next thing I see is forest. Didn't even get run over by a truck or anything," Wakeng responded plainly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,438.5
    Robin replied to Travolto, “If you don’t mind, can you bring us to this guild? I’d like to know what’s going on around here.”

If Robin had more time, he would have asked if trucks existed from… wherever everyone else came from. Robin hoped he didn’t die in an accident or something! That sounded like a setup for an isekai.

Instead, Robin added, “If nothing else, I’d like to know what this Luminous is.”

3. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,634.7
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    (Sorry for the delay, folks.)

All Elio could do was to watch as Travolto corrected him on which potion does what -- and why. This, in a way, made him fascinated in the art of alchemy (and, to some degree, curse himself for not being astute enough to notice it sooner).

The fascination didn't last long, however, as more conversation ensued. Two of the foreigners tried oh-so-hard to explain themselves, though none of which actually made sense to him. Travolto also took his time explaining about the Jinguang Guild to--
    "Yeah, yeah, I know," Elio grew irritated at Jared's interruption. He proceeded to rummage into his blonde friend's bag for the potion in question...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #143 May 5, 2023
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
  4. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,262.1
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    @WavePearl
    Jared shrugged. "I mean, it would take a heck of a powerful caster to bring someone over from another country. It's sea for kilometers after the coast of Juayang. No sign of life out there, but I guess where you're from exists, so..."

@Jupjami
    "(What's a truck?)" Trav hissed to Jared.
    "(No clue, that guy seems insane anyway, what with the 'pages'.)"
    "(Jared, be polite.)"

@122 Generation
    "Well, we were just about to do that. And I'll be more than happy to fill you in on the way there." Travolto's eyes almost seemed to gleam at the chance to talk about the subject at length. Jared on the other hand just gave sort of an apologetic shrug as Elio dove into his bag.

@SAF
    The smoke potion was still there, the grey liquid already frothing a little around the crack in the bottle.

@ID Zeta

#144 May 5, 2023
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
    WavePearl likes this.
  5. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,634.7
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    ...yep, it's still there. The smoke potion, I mean. The resident whitehead immediately grabbed it, then turned his back as he slammed it to the ground.

As for Wakeng's "truck" thing (and the locals' comments about it), it's already flying a few meters above Elio's head.

6. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,262.1
    With a crash of shattering glass, the potions immediately transformed into a huge cloud of smoke, forcing anyone close by to shuffle away a little. Fiery streaks of amber rose up to form a column of light, where a small, round figure began to take shape. Moments later, the smoke and glow disappeared in a moment, without a single blade of grass out of place below.

In its place stood a portly brown-skinned woman - one easily much shorter than everyone else - with her curls in a bun. The cloth in her hair boasted a small golden charm of a half-sun, with beams radiating from the flat half. She stared around the scene, hands set firmly on her hips and a quickly-growing frown on her face as she took in the situation.

"...Huh. I don't think I sent this many people on the mission.... Ehhhh, details." she muttered, more to herself than anything. A flick of her arm, and a small ball of light appeared behind her. It shaped itself into a simplified eye as she waved her fingers, and her own eyes took on an orange glow. She started around the scene, looking over the state of the tied bandits, the current condition of everyone involved, and for some, their makeshift weapons.

She gave a sharp whistle, and the tied-up bandits began to float into the air behind her, held aloft by a tangerine aura. With that taken care of, she turned to face the rest of the group, one by one. "Cira Sairon, Bard Master, and investigator of the Jinguang Guild. So. Anyone ready to give the whole story of what went down?"

The woman looked like she would accept nothing less than the whole truth - the glow in her eyes were almost compelling, for sure. But then again, the nervous look on Trav's face said it all - what was said next could easily make or break his, Jared's, and Elio's chances into the Guild they cared about...

@SAF @ID Zeta @Jupjami @WavePearl @122 Generation

7. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,634.7
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    A puff of smoke later (which Elio thankfully managed to back off from), a brown-skinned lady appeared before the group. She was short -- even shorter than Elio who was already short himself -- yet her magic was quite a sight to behold. And most importantly, once the lady introduced herself as the Bard Master, Cira Sairon, Elio just knew that one wrong word could make everything worse.

Ah, cripes.

"A- actually, we got ambushed. Jared, Trav, and I," the blue tunic whitehead became all fidgety as he explained his case. "Bandits got to Trav, he and Jared fought 'em. I wanna help too, but Jared told me to run," he soon entered a full panic mode to the point of hyperventilation. "And then- and then--"

(@ID Zeta @WavePearl @Jupjami @122 Generation Feel free to try calming Elio down and/or continue his story from your character's POV at this point.)

ChocoChicken likes this.
  8. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,926.7
    @SAF

Kanaru was startled by the woman's appearance. Judging from Elio's reaction to her, she had to be someone important in this world.

9. Jupjami

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Huh, that's fun, Wakeng noted as he calmly observed the situation with the small girl appearing out of the smokeball potion thingy, the fancy levitation magic, and the three natives looking around nervously. Probably because of their mission or something. "Then you went looking for help and found us, right?" the man continued as the poor boy looked close to having a stroke. "Led us to the hideout, then brought the flower we used to put those guys to sleep," he added, pointing to the… floating thieves.

ChocoChicken likes this.
  10. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,634.7
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Thankfully, someone had enough braincells to pick up where Elio had left off. "Ah-- yeah, YEAH, that too," he eagerly nodded in affirmation. "Jared's flower's on fire, the baddies all asleep, these people helped me free Jared and Trav..." Elio paused for a brief moment before snapping again at a quick realization, "And no, I dunno where these guys came from. Really!" Then again, he'd already heard about the foreigners' hometowns (?) but still had no idea where.

11. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,438.5
    Just as Robin was about to gratefully accept Trav's offer, he was distracted by the sound of shattering glass and the sudden appearance of a very short woman. Oh gosh. What was happening now? At first, Robin interpreted this as a threat, at least until the woman introduced herself as someone from said guild that was mentioned earlier. (If Robin had more time, he would have asked if anyone else knew what trucks were - as he guessed that they might not exist here. Yes, he had seen enough anime to know this.)

Robin raised his hand as if to assure Elio he could calm down. He was somewhat shy to address this woman, but even then something had to be done. "So, uh, Sairon-san, we just happened to help these guys out. Not that we're native to this land here... It's kind of hard to explain, but at least for me, I woke up here and then went to help out these guys here here. Actually, I wanted to find out exactly what this guild is too (as Trav-kun had just offered me). Perhaps we might find some answers."

He looked to Elio. "I think he could also use some rest too."

12. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,542.1
    Ando wasn't sure what he expected to emerge from the cloud of smoke and flash of amber light, but a tiny woman was not it. As soon as she introduced herself and demonstrated some magic, however, he found himself standing straighter than usual, almost at attention... which only emphasized the height difference between the two of them.

He listened intently as the group gave an account of what had happened. "I happened to be passing through the area when I encountered these individuals in a nearby clearing," he said, gesturing to each of the foreigners. "Shortly afterwards, Elio stumbled upon us, and... well, the rest has already been said."

13. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,262.1
    Cira gave them all a look. The glow in her eyes faded, and she gave them a nod. "Well, that sounds fair enough. But because of the circumstances of how it went down... I can't tell you three whether you passed or not. I'll have to discuss the verdict with some others back at the Guild."

"Speaking of back at the Guild! The rest of you, you can come along if you don't have anywhere to go. Probably better than sitting out here and waiting for the wildlife to get to you. Of course, you can do that. I only kinda judge."

@122 Generation

She gave Robin a quick glance. "And if you've got more questions, shoot 'em at me. The more specific, the better. Or one of those three, see whether they know their stuff, heh. But either way, you'll be sure to get your answers where we're going. C'mon."

With that, the floating bandits formed a stack behind her, and she started northwards, pushing the brush aside for the rest to follow.

@Jupjami @ID Zeta @SAF @WavePearl

#153 May 6, 2023
    Last edited: May 7, 2023
  14. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,926.7
    @ChocoChicken

Kanaru followed the others northward. Something told her this lady was special, something that resonated with her. What this was, she didn't know yet, but if it meant finding out how she got here, she would go to the very ends of this world.

#154 May 7, 2023
    Last edited: May 9, 2023
  15. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,438.5
    Robin nodded in the direction of this woman. She seemed to know what she was doing, if not the guild where she hailed from. If he was going to get answers, perhaps seeking out this guild was the only way forwards. His thoughts went to Robyn. What would she have done in this situation? Maybe getting a map of this place would be a good start. Also, he wondered if there were any evils he should be wary about.

Then Robin thought about his personal needs. Oh gods. How was he going to get his uniform cleaned? He only had a single set of clothes at the moment. He decided to worry about that later as he followed the floating stack of bandits that Cira was towing. He too had to move some brush aside. From the looks of this land, there weren't that many developed roads around here. Was this another era? Also, if he had more time, he would like to know about where the others came from. If there were so many other words (in addition to Robyn's), what else could there be?

16. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,262.1
    It was further northward, past most of the brush, that the main path - dust and dirt from the many that had trodden it - revealed itself again. The silhouette of the city walls started to show up on the horizon, at that.

At this point, Cira began to explain, mostly addressing Robin. "Earlier you were asking 'bout the Guild. Well, to put it simply, the Jinguang Guild provides various services around the country, from healthcare to construction to research and even investigation and vigilantism. Most jobs a non-caster wouldn't be able to take on. The Luminous, our magic, is at the center of it all - it's how we do most commissions we take on."

As she spoke, little glowing diagrams of figures illustrated her every word, commanded almost by her mind itself. Stick figures wielding orbs of light not too far from Cira's eyeball scuttled around a miniature map of Juayang, performing the various tasks she lifted - until she waved them all away in a puff of smoke.

"And that's the short of it. Yangto's coming up in the distance, but if you have further questions about the basics, now's the time to ask. I feel like it's gonna get busy once you step in there."

@122 Generation @SAF @WavePearl @Jupjami @ID Zeta

17. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,926.7
    @ChocoChicken

Kanaru mustered her courage to ask the woman "What IS the Luminous, and how does it work?"

18. Jupjami

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    "So it's like an all-in-one quick-stop government agency," Wakeng commented offhandedly. He then thought of how institutions work back home, and how big this country must be. "Sounds like a logistic nightmare. How do you guys manage that?"

19. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,634.7
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Somehow, the way Cira worded it made Elio shudder. I mean, the final verdict of his test had to wait until who knows when, so he might as well continue his internship at the Guild while at it.

On the way to the Jinguang Guild, the young man overheard Kanaru's and Wakeng's questions. "Luminous, eh?" he quickly piped up at the former, never mind that he had no idea for the latter. "It's, uh... magic. We in Juayang use it for basically everything."

#159 May 12, 2023
    Last edited: May 12, 2023
    WavePearl likes this.
  20. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,262.1
    @Jupjami
    "Well, mister, Idra Wei and Alfred Hui - Duelist and Vitality masters - are usually the ones in charge of the paperwork side, so I can't tell you everythin' that goes on in the administrative system. But every commission is reviewed and the price negotiated before our members take it on. And I'm called in when something doesn't line up."

"And if you're want to know about the Guild Master, Lady Olympia Kura? Yeah, I can't tell you a peep of what happens with her, other than that she's the head of Yangto as well - and holds most of the power over Juayang as a result. The rest is strictly confidential, especially since you're not a part of the Guild. Yet."

@WavePearl
    "And I'd continue on that, too, if my own Luminous couldn't sense that someone here wants to talk about it more. To be fair, I don't think I even needed a Luminous to fill in that."

Cira waved a hand at Travolto, who only turned redder. Jared gave him a cheeky elbow, and he started.

"Right! Yes, ma'am. So, uh, like Elio said, the Luminous is the name of our magic, and also the name of the focus we use to cast it. Like that one there." He pointed at the floating, simplistic eyeball-like shape next to Cira. "In most casters, the Luminous only looks like a ball of light, but it usually has a different tint to its light based on the caster."

"Through a caster's will, the Luminous's energy is used to... cast various spells. However, with enough strength applied to it, physical or magical, it can be dissipated, leaving the user weakened and drained, regardless of how many spells they used or their physical state beforehand. Nobody except Lady Olympia Kura knows how they are received, but as far as we know, only members and ex-members of the Guild have received one."

WavePearl likes this.