1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Group RP Luminous (The Actual Campaign Featuring Convoluted Magic)

Discussion in 'Roleplay Institute' started by ChocoChicken, Jan 8, 2023.

1. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,993.4
    @ChocoChicken

Kanaru nodded. "Lady Cira...in my world, I longed to be a musician and actress, even though my parents didn't believe it would be a 'useful' job. Is there a way to channel the Luminous into music and acting?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ID Zeta

ID Zeta Resident Physicist

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,583.4
    As the walls surrounding Yangto began to peek over the horizon, Ando realized just how close he was to the capital city. He knew he'd end up there eventually - "All roads lead to Yangto," one of the traders he'd traveled with liked to say - but he hadn't expected to get there so soon. He wondered what awaited him there, and how long he'd be able to stay before needing to move on.

Those thoughts were interrupted by questions from the group and answers from Cira and Travolto. The talk of Luminous in particular caught his attention. Until moments ago, he'd only heard of the magic and its casters in stories. "Can anyone affiliated with the Guild get one of these 'Luminous'?" he wondered aloud.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,448.8
    Robin's eyes piqued with interest as the short woman explained the kind of surroundings he had wound up in. From the guild to Luminous. Then there was Elio's take on explaining Luminous. From what he gathered, it reminded him of his past outings in the Halidom where he could use magic abilities of his own, although he could never apply such abilities outside the Halidom. Was this Luminous supposed to be present everywhere? As well, he was curious what colour his own would be.

The sight of Yangto did bring him some relief. Finally, civilization, Robin thought. He elected to comment any further and instead listened in on the conversations of his companions. The fact that they all appeared together in relative proximity made Robin wonder if that was a coincidence. Plus, Naga did send him here to help with something, right? That said, from the way Kanaru spoke, she must come from a modern society if acting was a profession.

His eyes went to look for where the guild was based.

4. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,696.2
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Since Elio's own explanation was very very basic, it sure was nice to have someone explain more in detail. in this case, it was Travolto on Cira's order, though Jared's attitude on that gave Elio quite a giggle.

"I believe so, yes," the young villager chirped at Ando's question (seemingly) directed to no one in particular. "As far as I've seen, a lot of them focus on one thing or two for their Luminous. Haven't seen the 'jack-of-all-trades' ones yet." I mean, even if there were some, Elio probably wouldn't have seen the "jack-of-all-trades" casters yet during his one-week internship, right?

And then Kanaru's question reminded Elio of that one bard-- er, minstrel he'd seen doing some kind of performance at the city square several days ago. "I think some bards do sing, yes, but dunno if they even sing their magic or what," the boy just shrugged in doubt.

#164 May 15, 2023
    Last edited: May 15, 2023
    WavePearl likes this.
  5. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,326.3
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    @WavePearl
    "Whoa whoa WHOA there is no need for that. 'Lady' is for Master Olympia. 'Miss' or 'Bard Master' Sairon is fine." Cira's face twisted a little when Kanaru called her by the title. "But sure, you can do anything with a Luminous. How you do it is up to you to figure out, so long as you earn your keep in the Guild."

"And don't let my title confuse you. This 'Bard' refers to a type of magic, not a job. Not all performers are Bard casters, not all Bard casters are performers. I don't act, I work with the truth. And any of the eight schools can create a performer. You just need to figure it out. Though sound, like music, is usually used to intensify a spell. Keeps your focus sharp, and makes your spell bigger. I just whistle for that."

@ID Zeta
    Travolto quickened his pace a little to speak with Ando. "Yes, anyone with the Guild can receive one. But the inverse is true, too. Only people affiliated with the Guild can receive their own Luminous, as far as legally speaking."

"So, yeah. That's why we're on the whole initiation mission deal and all." Jared shrugged. "It's Trav's dream to become an Alchemist. That Master inspired him when he was a kid. You should've-"

"JARED-"

@SAF
    "Speaking of that 'one thing or two', that refers to the eight schools of magic. It's a pretty loose kind of sorting, though. Many spells blur the lines between 'em. But you'll learn more about that when you're in the Guild... that is, if you get in. I mean, are you guys interested in getting in the Guild?" Cira turned to walk backwards, looking the group in the eyes.

@122 Generation @Jupjami
    (If anyone has any questions, this is your last chance to get em in before you guys will enter the Guild. Otherwise, in the next 72 hours, I'll cue the entry into Yangto.)

6. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,993.4
    @ChocoChicken

Kanaru nodded to show she understood what Cira had said. She was likely going to have to throw all her RPG knowledge out the window. But still, a musician and actress that cast magic sounded very appealing. Guess if there are other schools of magic that could result in a bow-wielding musician and actress, I will probably learn about it once we reach the guild.

ChocoChicken likes this.
  7. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Wakeng simply nodded along. "This really is an isekai, huh," he remarked offhandedly.

8. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,326.3

Finally, after a stretch more walking, the carmine city walls passed by the party as they entered Yangto City. A few guards eyed the group suspiciously, but Cira flashed the badge in her hair and tossed the floating bandits over with her Luminous, leaving the guards to catch and carry them off with their own magic.

Now that they had given way, the party was left with a view of the city in all its splendor. Gold-roofed red buildings ranging it height seemed to form a mountainous range of their own, towering over the party in the east side - where one particularly tall building and tower stood. Steam and smoke of various colors, from natural greys to stranger hues (the latter once again more prevalent in the east) drifted in wisps from street vendors selling food, a smeltery, various homesteads, and more.

Various people sporting the Jinguang emblem - the one in Cira's hairband - carried bamboo, logs and stones past the group as Cira led them eastwards, towards the larger building. They seemed to be working at a construction site, as one read a holographic diagram off a piece of paper, and the other materials floated into place as directed by the rest of the team.

The calls and chatter of various citizens rang through the air. Thankfully, the northern marketplace was far enough that it wasn't just shopkeepers yelling about their wares. But amidst the yelling, one voice travelled far above the others - Jared's own triumphant yell, raising both bruised arms in the air.

"Watch out, Yangto! We're back!"

@WavePearl @ID Zeta @Jupjami @SAF @122 Generation

9. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,993.4
    @ChocoChicken

So many sights, sounds, and colors everywhere...

If Kanaru didn't know she was in another world, she could've sworn she was at Tokyo Disneyland, or some other theme park. This place may not be Tokyo Disneyland, but it sure feels like it!

(what Kanaru is imagining the ambiance to be like)

#169 May 18, 2023
    Last edited: May 18, 2023
  10. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,583.4
    Ando didn't have an answer to Cira's question. Joining the Guild wasn't an option he'd ever considered. He could start a new life in a new, wondrous city of magic. Maybe, just maybe, he could feel safe for more than a month or two at a time.

He marveled at the sights as they entered Yangto proper. Ando had never seen red buildings before - not red like this, at least. He guessed it would take days - no, weeks - to fully explore the city, and that prospect made him smile. "I assume we're heading there?" he asked Cira, pointing towards the tall building in the distance.

ChocoChicken likes this.
  11. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,326.3
    @WavePearl (Personally I think the ambience would be less celebratory. I consider Yangto to have more of a mysterious flair - it's still got plenty of its own business and secrets. Though if Kanaru has a more rose-tinted view of the fantasy world, fair enough)

@ID Zeta
    "Yep. That's the Jinguang headquarters, the main base for all Luminous casters - Guild workers, adventurers, and researchers. There's a few people I'd like you all to meet."

As the group continued onwards, past a rounded gate to enter a clear main square, various people stopped to cast a glance at the Bard Master with an entourage of foreign-looking people - many accompanied by little balls of light, their own Luminous. (Jared said just to ignore them, but it was clear he glared at them just as much.)

Soon the group found themselves at the biggest structure in the city by far, an almost palace-like sprawling building, roughly three to four storeys tall - not counting the few towers. The highest tower, located right at the center, held a balcony overlooking the entire square, the Jinguang emblem emblazoned just over it.

Cira led them to the front doors, which she then kicked open - accompanied by a violent blast somewhere in the backgrounds, probably from some caster doing combat training and hopefully not a spell gone wrong.

The main hall of the Guild was just as high and tall as its exterior implied, with members milling about, multiple even floating with their Luminous. Several groups surrounded the mission boards, which were really more of floating columns of paper alongside a wall, all handled by a frantic woman at the front desk.

It didn't look like who Cira is looking for had arrived quite yet. She shrugged at the group. "Well, looks like you can take five and relax for a moment. But don't go wandering off."

@122 Generation @Jupjami @SAF

12. 122 Generation

Belle
    (Bellossom)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20,448.8
    When the party arrived at the gates of Yangto, Robin was left to marvel at the city's surroundings. On one hand, he was comforted that he was in civilization, which was certainly more comfortable here than out in the forest. If he wasn't mistaken, these were the kinds of buildings that reminded him of the olden days of Byakuya-shi. He observed his surroundings: the businesses, the food, and even the clothes. If he had more time, he would have liked to have walked around the city. But even the circumstance he was in, Robin supposed he could wait.

Then he silently followed Cira into the tallest building in the city ("Oh Naga. Did you really have to kick open the door?" Robin whispered to himself). Jinguang headquarters, was it? Now that Robin had a better look at the locals' clothes, he suddenly felt that his school clothes were kind of out of place here. Well, he supposed that problem could wait until anyone asked. He saw guild members reviewing boards with notices on them. Now this really seemed like a serious place of business.

With Cira apparently waiting for someone, he took up her offer. "Is there anywhere in this hall where we can rest?"

13. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,696.2
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Judging from Cira's and Kanaru's talks about magic, music, and acting, the words "bard" and "minstrel" must've been interchangeable in the latter's home world and that's definitely not the case here in Juayang. It seems like Kanaru wanted to be a magical minstrel but somehow had it mixed up with a school of magic -- in this case, the Bard one. Sure, Elio had already seen one before, though he was quite sure that minstrel had already worked on the kinks and other whatnots beforehand.

As if the smile Elio got from witnessing his teammates' banter wasn't enough, it only got wider at the somewhat familiar red buildings in the city of Yangto. "Somewhat" because this was like, what, his second week there? That, and Jared's triumphant yell didn't help either. "Quite a big city, aight," the local whitehead mused. "So try not to get lost, okay?" he advised to the foreigners, never mind that he often got lost while navigating through the city himself.

@WavePearl @Jupjami @ID Zeta @122 Generation

And finally, the party arrived at the Guild before they knew it. With Cira apparently waiting for someone, Elio turned to the foreigners and asked, "Well? Howzit?"

ChocoChicken likes this.
  14. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,993.4
    @ChocoChicken

(Kanaru is viewing the city through somewhat rose colored glasses--she knows this is a living breathing city, complete with its own issues, but so many new sights and sounds makes it feel like a theme park in her eyes)

@SAF

"Wow..." was all Kanaru could say. "It's a beautiful city...."

ChocoChicken likes this.
  15. Jupjami

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    "Very traditional," Wakeng remarked, looking at the quaint but busy streets and classical East Asian houses not too different from that time he went to Beijing for a school trip. In fact, the man noted some familiar cuisine such as dimsum and noodles. Disregarding the various balls of light floating around and everyone docked in early 20th century clothing, it almost felt like they were walking through a normal city street. "On another note, how much is the street food?"

16. ID Zeta

Solaire
    (Larvesta)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,583.4
    "It's... certainly a lot to take in," Ando answered Elio. He loitered around the main hall, trying his best not to stare too long at all the magical phenomena around him. It would definitely take some time for the culture shock to wear off.

He used this spare time to really consider Cira's question: Did he want to join the Guild? It was quite the tempting offer, but he had no experience with magic whatsoever. Would he be any good at it? Where would he even begin?

ChocoChicken likes this.
  17. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,326.3
    @122 Generation

Barely waiting for a response, Cira snapped her Luminous back into existence and yanked a nearby two benches over with levitation. "Here ya go - should fit eight of you, if you space yourselves out. Shouldn't be long, though."

@Jupjami
    "Not much. About five to ten qin." Jared shrugged. "Though serving sizes are usually smallish. I do know the better joints, though!"

@SAF @WavePearl @ID Zeta
    It only took about a minute or two before Cira suddenly snapped back to full attention, waving at a distant two bespectacled men walking over. One stood in a red-tinted lab coat about Kanaru's height, and the other in blue-gray looked like he would be about Robin's height were he not somewhat slouched. Both looked serious, though the man in red looked more like he was psyching himself up, and the one in blue looked a little tired.

"Right. Yeah, that would be the guys we're looking for. Alchemist Master Harvin Jerof, and Vitality Master Alfred Hui. Called 'em to discuss your results - don't worry, I'm on your side, but I've gotta convince them." Cira's own expression didn't look much more pleasant as her coworkers approached her. "Hope you guys are ready to back me up here."

"Good afternoon, ma'am." came Harvin's voice. He exchanged a somewhat shaky handshake with Cira. "Was their mission successful?"

"Not without the help of the other five strangers, I presume." Alfred responded, looking over the rest of the group. He almost seemed to look through most of them - even Jared who seemed less than thrilled to see him in return.

"Yeah, that's where this comes in - technically, they all completed the mission, right? And our recruitments have been running low no thanks to you rejecting most of them." Cira asked. "So... what if we count this as an initiation success for all of them?"

#177 May 26, 2023
    Last edited: May 26, 2023
  18. WavePearl

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,993.4
    @ChocoChicken

Kanaru did her best to look respectful, but she secretly couldn't help chuckling a little. If I'm not in an RPG, I'm inside every fantasy anime I've ever watched!

19. Jupjami

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    "That's good," Wakeng replied, though still pondering as he didn't know what these people's definition of 'cheap' was. Tuning in to the other conversation happening, the man was quite surprised at the suggestion posed by the midget girl. That had to violate some rules of whatever this institution was, right? "Is that even legal?" Wakeng inquired, tilting his head.

20. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,326.3
    @Jupjami
    "Weeeeelll-"

"Sairon." Alfred's tone spoke for his opinion on the matter.

Cira coughed. "It SHOULD be. Technically the only major rule we have on that is the initiation mission, and it's cleared, then we just need to approve it. So the offer's open if you want it, and I would recommend claiming it sooner rather than later, considering... let's just say big opportunities are coming up in a day or two. Opportunities straight from the strongest caster in Juayang herself."

"I-Isn't that confidential?!"

"Harvin, it's fine. It's going public in like, a day or two. Let's just say there are some real handsome rewards from the strongest caster in all of Juayang," she hissed towards the party. "So? What do you-"

She was once again cut off by Alfred.

"Hold on there. A single Master's approval is not enough to get someone in the Guild." He looked over the party once again, pausing to check the bruises on Jared and Travolto. "And I will make one thing clear - if a mission meant for three people was only cleared with eight, I would not consider that a success. If you want another Master's vote, count mine out."

While the two's debate began to heat up, Harvin coughed a little to the side to draw the party's attention. "Uh, do you all... actually want to be in the Guild?"

@WavePearl @ID Zeta @122 Generation @SAF