1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

LV's Future: The Road Ahead!

Discussion in 'Valor Archive' started by Ryan, May 3, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    LV has been in a technologically and financially challenging position for a while, and it's been the subject of many discussions among the admins. As it is right now, LV isn't sustainable. This is due to two huge factors: (the lack of available developers and content for; the slow breaking of) our forum software the cost of our host. These issues have come up again and again with no real solution provided... until the last discussion about it. We were discussing how to get LV into a position where it was sustainable, but knew that if we upgraded to IPB 4.0, we would lose all the applications (including the economy - there is no replacement for IPB 4.0) and themes. When we went to look into the pricing for IPB 4.0 anyway, we saw they had raised their prices to $360 for a 12 month license.

The Solution - Part 1 (ft Xenforo)

The idea of upgrading to 4.0, which was already undesirable, went out the window. After some discussion about other options, we did some extensive research into Xenforo and found a solution to our first problem.

First, Xenforo's cost is only $140 for the first year, then $40 for additional years if we want to receive support and access to their applications (we do).

The second thing we looked into was whether or not we'd be able to keep our users, posts, threads, PMs - all of the good stuff that comes with a base forum. We found out it was very possible - Xenforo has a built in importer specifically for IPB. List of what can be imported (even if the options are grayed out).

Our third big concern was the economy. We didn't want to lose that under any conditions. We not only found a new economy application, but one that puts ours to shame. It has countless more features than our current one and is still supported and maintained by the developer. This means that we don't have to just tell people, "Yeah, that part of the economy is broken and we can't fix it." We can actually get help with any problems we have. There is a drawback to this, though, and that is an economy reset again. I'm hopefully going to be able to contact the developer and ask if an import of our current values is possible, but if not, we'll need to create a "keep your items and funds or give them up" thread again.

We also looked into the themes, and this is going to hurt a little - unless we want to cough up $3500 for a company to professionally recreate just Palette Town, we'll be losing the current themes. However, there is another significant difference between Xenforo and IPB. Customization in Xenforo is much easier and requires less manual coding - especially with a theme we found that's essentially a framework for creating more themes. We will be recreating Pallette Town and other themes to the best of our ability when we make the switch, so they will not be lost forever!

Additionally, Xenforo has a multitude of features included in the base package that even IPB add-ons haven't done properly. The best example is mentions. On LV currently, if you want to tag someone, you have to type @ then type out their name, then get two notifications that you were tagged instead of one. Believe it or not, this mention feature wasn't even built into the software. We had to use a third party app to get it. In Xenforo, mentioning works as it should and is included in the forum software. You simply type @, then a list of usernames pops up. Another big one: medals/trophies are automatically rewarded to users. No more manual handouts! You can explore Xenforo for yourself by creating a demo on their website (takes less than 2 minutes to set up).

Xenforo's userbase provides excellent support, and has quite a few developers who put out great improvements for the forums. Not all of the applications are free, though, but we're going to cover this later in the post.

The Solution - Part 2 (ft NewFound Hosting)

In comparison, this one is short and simple. Our current host charges us $594 a year for hosting, and for a site of LV's size, it's disgustingly expensive. I have personally spent days looking into other options, and finally found another host. With them, our hosting costs go down to $300 for the first year, and $360 yearly after that. The kicker? Our huge database isn't a problem for them, which means we don't have to worry about growing our site (the other option was removing a ton of old posts to get our database smaller than 2GB - no thanks).

The Dilemma

Of course, there are downsides to this. We'll need to reset the economy again, and there's going to be a day or few of downtime while we get everything rolling. Additionally, the gallery will not be carried over, so please download anything you want to keep now. The medals may be entirely reworked in a way that makes more sense; though, I'd consider this more of a benefit. The larger part of this dilemma, though, is...

The Finances

I'll try to keep this part brief, and just provide a list of the things we need to pay for, and then an additional list of things that we would like to have, but aren't of the highest importance.

Necessities:
    Hosting Year 1: $300 (usually $360, we were given a discount for the first year)
    XenForo Forum Software & License: $140; $40 annually
    %5BDBTech%5D DragonByte Shop [Lifetime license] (this is the economy): $50
    %5BDBTech%5D DragonByte Credits [Lifetime license] (this is the other part of the economy): $50
    UI.X Forum Theme Framework: $30; renews for $20 annually
    Discord Integration (no more posting in a verify thread; essentially a bot tailored to LV): $30
    %5BDBTech%5D DragonByte Donate (Lifetime license): $50
    Total: $650 (~$36 more than what we currently pay for hosting alone)
    Subsequent years: $420

Other Add-ons (order of priority):
    Cover Photos: $20; $10 annually
    Sticky Navigation (the navigation bar will scroll down the page with you; toggleable): $10
    Post Reactions: $26
    Sticky Profile Post: $10
    Youtube Video in Profile Sidebar: $6
    Combined total: $722 for the first year
    Combined subsequent years: $430

It'll be more expensive this year than other years, but for the next few years, it'll be much cheaper than our current plan. Another thing to keep in mind with this is that we currently pay $594 for the host alone - no other features.

The Benefits

Since we're ideally moving to a new forum software, we've had to slightly rework the donator benefits. While we were at it, we'll be changing the name of Contributor+ to Supporter, and added a fourth tier: Patron. These changes will take effect on the Xenforo - not IPB. With that being said, any donations made in the mean time will count towards these ranks. The benefits are as follows:
    VIP:
    Access to the Donators forum
    10% more PokéPoints per post
    Store up to 200 Private Messages
    Purple name color & glow
    VIP rank image in your posts
    Custom member title
    Ability to have a BBCode member title
    Profile cover photo
    Profile music player

Contributor
    20% more PokéPoints per post
    Store up to 500 Private Messages
    Red name color & glow
    Contributor rank image in your posts
    Custom member title
    Profile cover photo
    Profile music player

Supporter
    Double PokéPoints per post
    500 PokéPoints added to your account
    Ability to close/open your own topics
    Store up to 1,000 Private Messages
    Red sparkle name color & glow
    Supporter rank image in your posts
    Custom member title
    Profile cover photo
    Profile music player

Patron
    --Patron will only be available after the transition to Xenforo; a $100 donation is required for this group (separate from past donations - sorry)
    First look at new content coming to LV (themes, updates, promotions)
    250% more PokéPoints per post
    650 PokéPoints added to your account
    Ability to close/open your own topics
    Store up to 1,500 Private Messages
    Pink sparkle name
    Patron rank image in your posts
    Custom member title
    Profile cover photo
    Profile music player

Achromatic will write and perform a song for anyone who donates $100 or more. This isn't a joke. No covers. PM him for more details after donating.

The Conclusion

We will begin the process of moving LV over once we have all the funds. Our current host should be providing a refund for the remaining months on the plan, but this amount will vary depending on when we can get the money together and move to the new host. Because this is a new software, there may be other unexpected changes.

2. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    You're lucky I'm getting paid friday that patron rank is mine

Ryan likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan lasagna bad

pointy face
    (Nidoran♀)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,281.4
    Charizardite X ★★★★
    Thank you so much! That's very generous of you and much appreciated. And your post reminded me to include that the Patron rank and other donor-related changes are going to be added once we're on the Xenforo (due to the ease of editing there).

Cadbberry likes this.
  4. Seprix

Seprix Patron Sint

PokéPoints:
    ₽115.8
    Scary times. But hopeful times.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Nothing scary about it, LV isn't going anywhere!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    JadeFox and Ryan like this.
  6. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    LV is gonna be getting real swole.

Syaoron the Fox, AeroHail and Ryan like this.
  7. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    Yeah, this'll really be a big change and I imagine a lot of work coming with that change... Anyway, if you guys say it'll only get better, I'll believe you. Still, I'm sad to see (the original) Pallet Town go and (possibly) many other things.

Are you guys going to do the switch as soon as you've raised the money necessary to do it or do you guys have a scheduled date in mind?

8. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I'm happy with the changes and analyzing it the change makes sense so I'd willingly give up anything in a reset in order for it to happen.

I know your priority is money so that the move is financially secured and trust me I will donate a sizable amount as I get my paycheck soon! LV is a second home to me so it's a no brainer. I WILL MAKE PATRON MINE! xD

I have 2 questions and these might be trivial but first, to make sure, 100% of donations from now on are being put towards to the new host/server right? Second, the pink name that comes with Patron will be different than the writers name glow right?

Finally, I can't offer much other than money but if any art or anything else is ever needed I'd be happy to help for free. Even if it's the tiniest of things!

As always, we will only get stronger as a community!
    -Vig

9. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    Sounds good. I mean, change is scary and all but it really does sound like it'll be for the better! Thank you for keeping us updated =3

10. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Donations will be used for the new host, our new community software and additional plugins. This isn't anything new though as this is what donations are always used for, to improve and sustain the community. Just this time there's a specific goal in mind!

In terms of helping, we really appreciate it and we'll let you know! For now the best thing to do is just continue to post around like you usually would and have fun. It might sound silly, but it's true.

Vigilance likes this.
  11. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Poké Ball ★Dawn Stone ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Man, crazy changes. If only I weren't poor or in college, I'd definitely help out. I may have only just got here, but LV feels almost like a second home to me. You guys who are doing donations are the best!

Achromatic likes this.
  12. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    For a moment I almost thought that Lake Valor was going to be shut down NUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

But I´m glad to see that LV is gonna get an awesome upgrade! I´m looking forward to the new changes, and although I cannot donate (I´m still under 18 T_T ), I will still support LV for all that it is! Thank you so much, to the ones who have donated, and thanks for showing me that LV is a huge part of my life now XD

Achromatic likes this.
  13. Otter Mii-kun

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    When I saw the announcement pop up on our Discord server, I thought, "oh no! Don't tell me another Pokémon forum is about to be history!"

If I had the means to donate and had enough extra money on me, I would almost certainly donate towards the migration effort. Though I'm not active here as much as many others, I like to have other Pokémon forums to post at (having come here in the first place during that brief "partnership" with the now-defunct Ever Grande City.)

Though I will miss the IPB software giving this place its rather unique design as compared to competitors, I'm looking forward to seeing what a new LV with XenForo has to offer.

Speaking of XenForo, Bulbagarden's forums migrated from vBulletin 4 to XF not that long ago. With that in mind, we certainly won't be the only active PokéForum running XF when the migration finally takes place.

Achromatic likes this.
  14. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Yeah, quite a few of 'em are using Xenforo now. It makes sense, it's pretty much the best software out there for a modern forum to run on. We intend to keep our site feeling as unique and original compared to the rest however. This has and will always be our goal with Lake Valor! :)

JadeFox likes this.
  15. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I'm just glad LV isn't going anywhere anytime soon! I've seen so many Pokémon forums die off in my time of looking for Pokémon content and I'm so happy LV isn't going to add onto the dead forums!

If I had more than zero dollars on me I'd defiantly pitch in some help but for now I can't ;~; I just hope LV still looks unique compared to other Pokémon forum sites, because I'm a part of many others, and LV is so unique and different from the others!

LV has become my second home in a way, and I'm glad this migration won't mean the end of LV! Looking forward to the new Valor soon!

16. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    Will I still get Patron rank if I donate after the goal is met? bc I can't until tomorrow and everyone's doing such a great job!

17. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Yes; it doesn't matter when you donate - if you meet the $100 threshold at some time, you will get Patron.

18. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    demote me now

Anyways, as I said before, you've clearly thought this through and I am in full support of these changes. You can expect to see me donate for Patron as soon as I can. XenForo is also one of my more liked forum software so that's also something I'm excited about. =) Do your best and let's keep LV going!!

Otter Mii-kun likes this.
  19. Smooshie

Smooshie Feebas Enthusiast

Mimi
    (Feebas)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽270.2
    Oh wow, big changes are in store! Here's to a new chapter for this awesome forum!​

20. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    Best of luck with the changes. Will the switch move us to a new website, with the same forum name and such, or will it just reorder a few things? What will the difficulty be for the average member to transition?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.