1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Music Lyrics or no lyrics?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChocoChicken, Oct 3, 2018.

Tags:
?

Lyrics or no lyrics?

1. Coherent lyrics

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Incoherent lyrics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No lyrics

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,275.0
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    Do you prefer songs with lyrics or songs that are instrumental? And if you do like lyrics, do you prefer coherent, decipherable lyrics or squid warbling?
    I prefer songs that don't have coherent lyrics at all. Splatoon music, orchestral, just most video game songs in particular. There are few exceptions to that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    I like songs worth lyrics, as I’ve never realized how much lyrics affect songs for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I like both songs with lyrics and songs without them. As long as the song sounds good.
    Most of the music I listen to has lyrics. I'm not a big fan or listener of video game soundtracks, apart from a few select OSTs. I much prefer movie soundtracks, but even then I don't listen to them much either. When it comes to music without lyrics I like instrumental rock a lot, and instrumental soul bands like Booker T. & The M.G.'s.

4. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Hmm. It really depends on what I'm doing or how I'm feeling. If I'm frustrated or sick or something I just want something mellow so I'll opt with no lyrics.

5. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    Typically no lyrics, as I am first and foremost a fan of classical music.

With that said, I do like a variety of music. What determines what I like in vocalized music, however, is content - it's much harder for me to get into music that has lyrics that glorify self-destructive or others-destructive lifestyles (whether said destruction is through act or word), y'know what I mean? It's the reason I don't listen to rap/hip-hop, heavier versions of rock, and so on.

#5 Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  6. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    It really depends on the song. I don't understand people who can just limit themselves to one type of song - they're missing out of on so much. Songs with and without lyrics can be incredible.

Absolute Zero likes this.
  7. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Incoherent lyrics are squid warblings? One: squids don't warble (warblers warble). Two: Some non-language music can be beautiful. In fact, I was reminded yesterday that I haven't heard one of my favorite songs in quite a long time, and decided to listen again. Check it: A Beautiful Song. Its lyrics are in a gibberish language and has no direct vocabulary meaning, but you can still get the emotion from it.

For me, it depends on what I'm doing at the moment. If I need distraction (I'm driving, laboring, killing time) I prefer lyrics. But if I'm focusing (homework, typing, training) I prefer no lyrics. Even when I'm working out and all the focus I need is to be able to count, I'll get distracted by lyrics and lose track. No matter how encouraging the words are, if I'm counting past ten I shouldn't have lyrics, or else I'll maybe go "nineteen, twenty, thirty-one", and that's bad.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  8. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I usually prefer coherent lyrics. It helps portray more meaning and as long as the lyrics are well thought out, it increases the quality of the music. The only exception really is video game soundtracks, which go fifty/fifty for me.

9. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    I prefer coherent lyrics or no lyrics. With coherent lyrics, I can make connections and meaning out of the song, and think of an edgy plot for it that I'll forget within a week or so. No lyrics because it's just relaxing, like elevator music.

10. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Lyrics are just another instrument to me, I do prefer lyrical music, but it doesn't have to have a real meaning behind it for me

11. Haunted Ditto

Ditto
    (Ditto)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽775.5
    Oran Berry ★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    Music needs lyrics to be good, because catchy music needs something to sing along.

12. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    In general, I like songs with coherent lyrics - that's most of what I listen to. I like having meaning to a song, and having something to sing along to. But I listen to plenty of purely instrumental songs too, and enjoy those just as much.

13. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Lyrics, of course. I mean, how am I supposed to sing along to music if it doesn't have lyrics that I understand?
    (although, I have been known to 'sing' along to some of my favorite video game soundtracks, like from Zelda or Banjo games. That singing is mostly just 'daaaah, dadadada dah-d'da'. (that is my trying to write down how I would sing along to the main theme in Zelda. Isn't it pretty?)

FireSpartan5 likes this.