1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Mario RPG/Paper Mario Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Nator, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nator

Nator Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    The Paper Mario series is a set of Mario RPG based games, beginning with Super Mario RPG on the SNES. Later, on the N64, the series changed to 'Paper Mario'. It's a series that's had great success and glory. What's your favorite Paper Mario game? What kind of strategies did you like using? Any favorite traveling companions? Favorite all-time Chapters or parts in the games? Which power-ups, badges, stickers etc. did you enjoy utilizing the most? Maybe there's something you don't like about one of the particular games?

Share everything related to the Super Mario RPG/Paper Mario series below!

2. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽38,007.6
    Paper Mario 64 is one of my all time favorites, although I'd love to track down and play Thousand Year Door (let's hear it for backwards compatibility!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Aurelia

Aurelia Supporter

PokéPoints:
    ₽40.0
    I adored Thousand Year Door. It was the first Mario RPG that I played and it was a fun little mistake behind it. I went to a game exchange store and seen a Wind Waker cover and I always wanted to play wind Waker (this was about 7 years ago) and I went ahead a bought it. When I got home I put it in my Wii and for some reason it was a Mario game. Blah blah long story short, I played it and enjoyed it, and never regretted it.

Also Ms No Arms Goombella is totes fun.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WobbuffetWynaut

WobbuffetWynaut PKMN Breeder

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.5
    >:( WHY IS MY TOPIC A POST?!
    How do you feel about Paper Mario? There were 4 Paper Mario games: Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Super Paper Mario, and Ppaer Mario Sticker Star.
    Did you like the ones who helped you? (Goombario, Koops, Bow, Tippi, Slim, Piccolo, Parakarry, Madam Flurrie, Yoshi, Vivian, etc.)
    What did you think of the Pit of 100 Trials? The bosses? The new things? New enemies? Easter Eggs & Glitches?

Derahex likes this.
  5. Derahex

PokéPoints:
    ₽108.3
    Ah, The Thousand Year Door. That game, quite frankly falls in my top 5 best games ever. The Badge system is genuinely fun to customize your play style, the story is decent, the characters are great, and the overall gameplay is nice good great wonderful Excellent!

On Super Paper Mario, I got to the end. It's a pretty OK game I guess, the score-based level up system is a failed attempt at an original mechanic that just ends up being gimmicky. You could play as Luigi though, so that make up for it a bit.

I have yet to finish Sticker Star, but up till now it fails to capture the genuine fun TTYD had. However, I've never actually played the Paper Mario 64.

Favorite Partner: Vivan was, and still kind of is. She's super useful, being tied with Bobbery for most powerful offensive. And she was kind of cute...
    It's a shame she/he is so fracked up by the gender confusion due to Japan's crazyness and Nintendo of America's attempts at censoring it.

Least favorite Partner: Flurrie. I don't know why, I just always hated her. Stupid pompous diva attitude.

DoctorFlygon likes this.
  6. DoctorFlygon

DoctorFlygon myagical girl

PokéPoints:
    ₽81.2
    Oh, man... I honestly can't emphasize enough just how much I love this series.
    The original is hilarious, really fun, has some good songs (My favorite of which is the Koopa Bros. battle theme), great bosses and looks great for the N64. One great thing is that, due to how the Exp. system works, you can't really grind or be underleveled, so the game is always at the right difficulty. The characters are a lot of fun as well.
    The Thousand-Year Door is one of the few sequels which I feel improves on literally aspect of the prequel. It's one of the funniest games I've ever played (One part I found hilarious that no-one mentions is how at the start, when you first arrive in Rogueport, you can see a gang war going on in the background- Rogueport is so rough that you witness a gang war literally minutes after arriving), has an AMAZING soundtrack (My favorite song being 'We Believe in You, Mario', which is the one that plays during the scene before the final phase of the Shadow Queen battle), AWESOME bosses (Cortez, Smorg, Rawk Hawk, etc.), and is still great looking, and is even more fun than the first. The Exp. is the same, which is awesome, but arguably the biggest improvement is the characters. In the first game, your partners had little beyond their introductions and a few lines here and there. In TTYD, most of them go under at least some form of development (The most obvious being Vivian and Koops) and get a lot more personality, and even a lot of the other characters are just so lovable, like Pennington and Professor Frankly.
    Super is really, REALLY underrated. It's completely different in terms of gameplay, but it's still a lot of fun to me, and it still has the comedic charm of the previous games, as well as plenty of throwbacks. It's also the darkest Mario game by FAR, and is still emotional enough to bring me to tears. Amazing soundtrack, still great looking (Maybe not as much as other Wii games, but still), hilarious, and everything else.
    Sticker Star... is sad. I sometimes wonder WHY Miyamoto did what he did to this game, but I can confidently say that he dun goof'd. WHY would you scrap all the beloved thing about the series? It's such a stupid thing to do... just... Miyamoto is an absolute genius and is pretty much the master of creating games, but this shall always be known as proof that even the greatest screw up every once in a while.
    The partners deserve a separate mention. Out of all of them, my favorite is the Yoshi from TTYD (Or, as I called him, Sean Jr.), because I think the whole 'different colour' thing is awesome, and naming him is awesome too. Plus, he's basically the equivalent of the Bike in Pokémon games, and I loved using him in battle. Vivian seems like the most popular, for the reasons of being arguably the most useful partner in TTYD, the fact she's transgender in the Japanese version (Which is a surprising thing for a Mario game to do, and her whole acceptance thing at the end is obviously a good thing to be teaching people, whether or not soccermoms and Nintendo of America approve or not), is originally a villain (Or at least is forced into being one), and is kind of cute (A LOT of people I see on the internet say she was their first 'fictional crush'), and she's probably my second favorite for those reasons too.
    Overall, I love this series to bits.

Derahex likes this.
  7. Totalheartsboy

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.3
    :O
    I love the Paper Mario games :love:.
    Sadly i have only played Paper Mario 64 and Paper Mario TTYD.

Paper Mario 64 was a great game to play! Very funny! And kinda hard especially when you had to battle the Bloopers... >,<
    Paper Mario TTYD have to say was the best one of the series. The story, the bosses, the side-quests. Everything was incredible!!!
    The 100 Pit of Trials was hard and tricky. Luckily i mastered the counter defense( the one when you press B you deal the enemy 1 damage). And Bonetail was hard too.

I wish i could play Super Paper mario :c.

Favorite partners: Bow(and make it snappy!), Goombella :3, VIvian, Ms.Mowz.
    I dont dislike any partner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.