1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Massively Multiplayer Online Games (MMO/MMOG)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Hraesvelgr, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    So we've all probably heard of or played a MMO game at some point in our lives, some might like MMOs some might not.

So tell us all what MMOs you've played, are playing, want to try out and maybe even recommend a MMO. Do you have any good/bad memories of the game(s)? What's your view on MMOs? Free to play MMOs vs paid to play MMOs?

The first MMO I've played was Runescape, I have many memories both good and bad from that game. I've played others like Megaten and more I don't remember the names of. I'm currently playing Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn, Star Wars: The Old Republic, World of Warcraft and Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.

All in all I really like MMOs, especially MMORPGs since that's what I mainly play and I really enjoy playing them. Sometimes I just like minding my own business and do whatever I want while other times I enjoy crawling through dungeons with other players and kill everything on sight to earn gold and experience for leveling up.

Free to play MMOs can be good and I'll go as far as to day they can be just as good as paid MMOs, free to plays usually just have extra things you can buy in-game for real money usually in the form of a special currency you can only get with real money. Or maybe you have to pay in order to be able to play content that's been added at a later date. I'm totally fine with stuff like and is also to get money for keeping servers up and running. You usually still have many things you can do even without paying RL money in most of the free to play MMOs I've tried over the years. You can even do and get the exact same things as the people that pay real money to get some nice content, it'll just take longer.

With pay to play games, I can be a bit more picky about them since I'll have to pay in order to play them (usually is a monthly fee), I also might not choose to play all the time since I don't have the money all the time and I also have to juggle other pay to play MMOs I enjoy.

If I am to play a MMO that have play fees I want them to actually be worth it, and I will be pickier since I want my money's worth in content and gameplay so if a MMO don't have decent content I will not play it. The content can be anything really, dungeons, quests, whatever, it just needs to be good and not too tedious or boring and good and interesting lore is also welcome.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Ryan likes this.
  2. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    As someone who used to play Runescape in the past, and enjoyed it very much, there is one thing I can safely say that is true of all MMOs, no matter the genre, category, or universe:

MMOs are no fun without friends to play them with.

The major contributor that marked my departure from Runescape (and, by extension, the sphere of MMOs as a whole) was that the friends that I had made there had disappeared one by one, going on to other things I knew not what. Before long I was the only one left, save one fellow who I saw only sporadically. It was an excellent secondary channel for communication with many of my friends, but they ended up moving to other places. I followed some, but Runescape was ultimately neglected. As I continued to play, I realised that the lack of my friends had also caused a departure of my drive to keep playing. Don't get me wrong - it was fun, and very much so - but a lot of what drove me to enjoy it were the friends I had there, and when I lost those, I lost the motivation.

3. Sachi-Shimazu

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.8
    Hmm, I really like MMOs, but I guess the only reason I don't stick around with them for very long compared to regular games is my lack of friends to play a lot of the ones I want to. Onigiri and Vindictius are my favourites at the moments, but the first MMO I really played was Wizard 101, and the first one that I REALLY got into was Guild Wars 2. I guess the reason I played them (and still do with Guild Wars 2) is because I had friends who played with me. It really is fun when you have a whole bunch of friends to play with rather than random strangers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Sugar

Sugar Pokemon Coordinator

Deoxys Egg
    (Deoxys Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,357.1
    Wow, I haven't played any MMO in a very long time. Gonna echo Sachi here on the lack of friends that want to play with me. As of now, my favourite MMO's (that would like to play in the near future) include Skyforge, Black Desert, and League Of Angels. The first MMORPG that I ever played was Roblox, which was SO cool, because it looked extremely similar to The Sims. Some of my friends still play it to this day, so I may get back into it sometime soon.

5. hunduel

hunduel Pokérator

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    I really love how they renamed it to MMO and MMOGs currently. Back in my days, they were called as MMORPG, and we still don't know WHAT was the RPG in their (except a few dedicated RPG servers, of course).

I started with several underrated MMOs back in the days, like Knight Online, Ferentus, and even Adventure Quest (the original one, waaay back 10 years ago) and other stuff. My biggest MMO was obviously Lineage II and I played it for a really long time on different servers. There was even a time when we played together with school mates.

I never played World of Warcraft, because, to be honest, the whole art style and the lore of Warcraft never lured me. However, I might try it now, since the game is actually fixed now in many ways, and second and most important: THEY HAVE PANDAS.

6. Crest

Crest Hex Maniac

Tirion
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽198.0
    The only MMOs I've ever really played were the ones mostly aimed at kids back when I was younger; I played Club Penguin almost every day up until I started middle school. It was fun at the time, and there was still a decent amount of things to do even if you didn't have a premium account, but ever since Disney bought it the game has pretty much become unplayable and bland unless you buy a membership. I just don't think it's worth the time or money, so I finally dropped the game after a while. I'll admit that I still play Animal Jam, mostly only because my bestie was super sweet and offered to buy me a membership so that I could enjoy the game to its fullest. I used to also visit Neopets' spin-off, PetPet Park, once in a while before it permanently closed last September.

I like the idea of MMOs, but I'll agree that they're usually a lot more fun when you have friends to play them with you. And since I'm socially awkward and usually avoid interacting with the other players in-game, I have to rely on my pals outside of the game to play it with me to make the most out of the multiplayer features. There aren't any others MMOs that I'm interested in checking out right now, but if I find one that I might like, I'd be really happy to give it a shot! I usually dodge games that force you to pay for a membership/dish out extra money to unlock every feature, though, unless they're actually worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.