1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Master Ball Failure Chance

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by GiratinaMissingNo, Apr 15, 2017.

1. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    Okay, guys, I came up with a small theory on the Master Ball. It's not a conspiracy (you may all go 'THANK GOD NO GIRA RANTS TODAY' now), but it's an idea.
    So, rumor has it that in S/M, the Master Ball has a very small chance of failure. When I first heard this, I was pretty pissed, because with my luck, it would fail when I was trying to catch a Shiny or something. But then it hit me: Nihilego. That Nihilego you have to battle when you first meet Lusamine-I've tried to catch it, but it's always broken out.
    But the Master Ball is said to 'catch any Pokémon without fail', so maybe it would work on that Nihilego? But maybe the failure rate was implemented so you COULDN'T catch that Ultra Beast. I don't know. Tell me what you think, and if any of you has had the Master Ball fail, or succeed in catching Nihilego.
    #MissingNo

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,884.6
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    To be honest, I wouldn't know. I've caught just about all the legendaries, and haven't used it. I have hit that point where I save the master ball for special occasions, and much like ethers and elixers, I never use it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    GiratinaMissingNo likes this.
  3. Kecleon

Kecleon Mod Crew

Ace Wings
    (Staravia)
    Level 53
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,004.3
    Blue Orb ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★
    To be honest, that's a really intriguing theory! Beast Balls have a low chance of catching anything except an Ultra Beast, so why would anyone ever even think of using a different ball, especially if they have a low chance of being captured themselves. If this is true, then this could be mind shattering, since Master Balls are known to catch anything and everything!

(Hooray for useless and unnecessary expansion on the topic!)

4. GiratinaMissingNo

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I guess, yeah! I never thought of using a Master Ball on an Ultra Beast, mostly because I'd want to save it. Now, I have a way I can prove the theory. Take your Master Ball from one game and transfer it to another, newer game (or get one through GTS, WT, ect). Save right before you get to Lusamine. When you battle Nihilego, throw the Master Ball. If it breaks out, try a few more times to check. I am so totally doing this as soon as I reset my game. What pisses me off is that I HAD a Master Ball at that point, but didn't use it. I'm so mad at myself. Now the question is: Even though the (hypothetical) failure rate was implemented for Nihilego, does it still fail on other Pokémon, or just for the Ultra Beast?

Thank you! I came up with it while I was eating chicken...I should eat chicken more often then. :)
    #MissingNo

5. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    Ultra beasts weren't known Pokémon, nor are really Pokémon, when the ball was made. It makes sense that Ultra beasts can escape since it wasn't made and accustomed to their dimension and power..

6. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    I've never really thought about this before. It would make sense that the Master Ball could fail on Nihilego, since it's technically supposed to flee after being hurt so much. I can't try this out on my own, but I'm interested to see what would happen if someone actually threw their Master Ball at it...

7. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    I uh... happen to have a supply of master balls >W>' huhu that's what I sell here in my valor shop huhu promotion >: D

but I'm not near that part of the story so I couldn't say if it works :'D certainly can try when I get to it though

8. GiratinaMissingNo

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    Thank you! If you would do that that would mean a lot to me. It's been bugging me, and I have to transfer my team before I restart Sun, so I'm nowhere near that point. But thank you so much.
    ~Together We Shall Discover The Mystery~
    #MissingNo

9. GiratinaMissingNo

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    Random inquiry (like I make non-random inquiries). Is the Nihilego you battle when you first meet Lusamine the one that she eventually catches/gets taken over by? There's really no way to tell...but if you were able to catch that thing, would the story happen (at least in the same way)? Hmm. I actually don't know, but maybe this fills in some of the holes in the Master Ball theory.
    #MissingNo

10. ClefairyKid

ClefairyKid (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

PokéPoints:
    ₽854.6
    Psychium Z ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Waterium Z ★★★★Ice Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★
    I think it'd be a lot more efficient for someone to buy a ball or two from me to try with since I've been taking 100+ hours an island, so at the rate I play you might be waiting a very long time! :'D but for some reason no one likes to buy from my valor store even when I make the prices offer based >W>'

11. Griefing_g0lem

Griefing_g0lem Three Minded

PokéPoints:
    ₽45.0
    I believe that since the Nihiligo has to escape during that battle for the story, every Pokéball will always fail. I'm not even sure how you would get a Masterball by that point in the game to try it out without hacking the game. I think it is the same thing of not being able to capture someone else's Pokémon.

12. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    UltraBeast > Master Ball.
    It is a good theory since technology only evolves to what it actually knows unless the results were better than expected

13. GiratinaMissingNo

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I was thinking that too. I actually got a Master Ball attached to a Shiny Tapu Koko I got through WT, so it is possible, if not probable. Again, there's no definite way to tell if that specific Nihilego is the one Lusamine gets taken over by, but I choose to believe that.
    #MissingNo

14. CharlieWeasleyfan

Shiny Roggenrola
    (Roggenrola)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽201.2
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeRocky Helmet ★★★★★Staff of VerityExp. Share ★★
    Since it's essentially an Ultra Beast you have to use the Beast Balls but it's a good theory anyways.

15. Strytho

Strytho Giveaway Enthusiast

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽485.4
    Friend Ball ★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Lure Ball ★★★★Basic Gary Oak ★
    If I am right, it fails only in that instance. I belive that nihlego is uncat challenge because it is needed for the story and it was programed that way. If so then that is why it fails. I have seen 3 or 4 of those on the gas in master balls at level 50. I've noticed in some games that things are programed to fail in indor to make sure that the story stays intact.

16. Otter Mii-kun

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    When I first saw this thread (but before opening this), I immediately thought the following might be the case:

*The aforementioned Nihilego discussed in the OP, when you encounter it in the situation as described, has a catch rate lower than 3. Historically, the Master Ball was coded with a catch multiplier of ×255, and the lowest catch rate any Pokémon could have was 3, which most legendaries have, and also means that at full health and no status, an ordinary PokéBall will catch such a Pokémon a mere 0.39% of the time.
    With this in mind, a catch rate lower than 3 would result the Master Ball having a chance to fail, and a catch rate of 0 would make a Pokémon having such a value completely impossible to capture, even with the Master Ball. (Remember, anything multiplied by zero or zero multiplied by anything, even infinity, will always be zero, unless you happen to have been taught to get a different result because of Common Core math standards.)
    The main series games have generally dealt with calculating values between 0 and 255 for most situations, an artifact from Generations I and II which were developed for an 8-bit system (Game Boy/Game Boy Color).
    Then again, there's other factors that could be involved, such as coded "traps" (similar to how the ghost Marowak in the Kanto-based games, despite being billed as a wild Pokémon, always dodges ALL balls thrown at it).

17. 「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」

「✧Aɴɪᴍᴀ✧」 Dᴇᴀᴛʜ's Dɪᴘʟᴏᴍᴀᴛ

HeartGold
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽217.7
    Heart Scale ★★
    This is a really good Theory. More like The masterball would work on a Beat because it is a Pokémon and maybe in the Pokémon success rate in a game mechanic would be 100% or Infinate. But cannonly I don't think it would!

18. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Technically the Beasts aren't Pokémon. They even have un-Pokémon like appearances. I can see the Master Ball failing to catch one, simply because it isn't able to contain the alien data.

19. GiratinaMissingNo

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    That seems really accurate, so thank you! So the new, revamped theory is: The Master Ball in S/M CAN fail, but only against the Nihilego with a catch rate of less than three. Against other Pokémon in S/M, with catch rates of three or higher, due to the x255 catch rate multiplier, will always work. Thanks, that really helped a lot!
    #MissingNo

20. Inken'in

Inken'in Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    Amulet Coin ★★★Icy Rock ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    Master Ball will always catch the Pokémon, assuming it can be caught. The Nihilego in Aether Paradise has effectively catch rate of 0, since there is a device, which prevents empty Poke Balls from working, in order to protect the wild Pokémon residing inside. Pretty much the only instance this will affect the player, is when they have to fight against Nihilego, but assuming you could hack an encounter with a wild Pokémon inside Aether Paradise, Master Ball should always fail, regardless of the Pokémon you encounter. That, however assumes that they coded the place so that every encounter in there will follow the same rules as the Nihilego encounter.

Besides, in every game there is at least one specific instance where the Master Ball will always fail, namely when you're trying to catch other trainers Pokémon. There are also some others, such as in BW2, before you battle against Ghetsis in Giant Chasm, you'll have to first fight against Kyurem which you're unable to catch, even with Master Ball, due to Ghetsis' device.