1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Mega evolutions becoming forced and not creative?

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by YouHoney, Nov 9, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouHoney

YouHoney Snow wanderer

PokéPoints:
    ₽135.9
    I have been thinking this for a while now. When the new Megas (sableye, sceptile, steelix etc.) Were offically confirmed, i was stoked. I really really was. But when i let the thought to sink in... i noticed something... mega evolutions are already becoming boring and "recycled"

Let me give few examples:
    Glalie: Refrigirate. Also known as Arourus's singature ability. Well not anymore. Moody would be much better. (On a side note mega Glalies ice-type Explosion is rather awesome)

Audino: Healer. Really? Healer? An ability that works only in doubles, triples and rotations? Wasted potential i say. I think something like "cannot be poisoned, burned, put to sleep, get paralyzed or freezed"-ability would be greater in healing Pokémon like audino.

Sceptile: lightnigrod. Well this ability is not completly useless, (Wattson is going to have a bad time) it still lacks creativity. Also. Sceptile works better as a physical attacker than special. So lightning rods sp. att boost i useful only if you use leaf storm.

Sharpedo: strong jaw. I get it i get it. Sharks have strong jaws yeah, but Tyrantum suffers from this. Recycling abilities screams lazy desing. Sharpedo should have really scary ability. Like really REALLY scary. But not like Rough skin. Something else.

Salamance and altaria: Aerilite and Pixilate. Same problem as glalie. Ability stolen and recycled. Like salamance and altaria dont even have outstanding Normal-type attacks outside of Return or Hyper beam! Wasted opportunity and potential. (But Fairy/Dragon is god damn awesome!)

And finaly... Sableye: Magic bounce. No... just...no. i LOVE Sableye so much as a prankster! I love it! Magic bounce is fantastic ability, don't get me wrong, but not on Sableye. And Sableyes sprite screams lazyness. I just love the guy so much. Its kinda personal.

I hope i got my point even somewhat clear. Let me know what you think and suggest what would you want to me critisize next. This can become a thing :D

Later~ ;)

2. Sachi-Shimazu

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.8
    I agree that there are becoming an abundance of megas, but I think you are skimping out on a few things. They need normal evolutions as well. I don't agree with you that they are totally useless though.

First of all Moody is such a stupid ability and is generally banned in comp play, so why give a mega that ability. It is unpredictable and stupid. Refrigerate is there most likely for the explosion power. Aerialate, same reason as M-Pinsir, Quick Attack destruction, although I'm not sure about M-Altaria. And a few of your things about "only in doubles," that's the point. Some Pokémon are designed for doubles, with abilities and moves that are perfect for it. Some things are designed to be doubles, some things are designed for singles. Sceptile and Audino are like that. Strong jaw is good for Sharpedo cause Crunch, Super Fang (If you use that) and Ice Fang.

I'll agree with you that some are a bit useless compared to others. M-Sceptile... it should be a Phys attacker, but oh well, I'll just run normal Adamant Sceptile instead. M-Sableye, just use M-Absol or Espeon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Nocturne likes this.
  3. BadPandaPancham

BadPandaPancham PKMN Breeder

PokéPoints:
    ₽40.0
    As a competitive player and an avid Pokémon fan, I have to disagree with a lot of what you are saying.
    Pretty much any Pokémon with the same abilities are suddenly unoriginal and copied? No. Does Audino who actually got an original ability now suddenly suck because it doesn't work for the format you want? No. They aren't even recycled. They are still very much original. While they do give a lot of Fairies the ability Pixilate, it's no big deal. Also, Lightning Rod MSceptile is 100% great. I don't know why you are saying Physical is better, that is the most wrong statement I have heard all day. Would you use it's base 85 attack or base 105 special attack? Don't say physical is better. It is not. Also it's immune to T-wave and gets SpAtt boosts so it remains speedy. I think it is great. MSableye has actually proven good since you can choose not to Mega and use Prankster and then Mega to take advantage of Magic Bounce etc. CM MSableye is threatening as it gets good coverage and great defensive stats. You can't taunt, status, or set up hazards on it. For Glalie, I am glad it doesn't get Moody. Moody is either bad or over powered. Not only is it banned in play, but there is no reason to want to use it. Refrigerate allows big damage to be dealt. Just because a Pokémon got a new ability last gen and it was the only one doesn't mean it's exclusive or suddenly unoriginal to give it to something else that it makes sense having. Also Strong Jaw Sharpedo is extremely threatening. It hits so hard and takes advantage of pre-mega Speed Boost. It is insanely good. It also makes so much sense for it to get it, no lack of design or originality there. :/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Nocturne likes this.
  4. Almandine-G

Almandine-G All Men Are Equal

Eggu-Sama
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽25.4
    Hmm... I see your point. I do agree, some of the megas are essentially just bigger, stronger ones without much to make them stand out. However, it's to be expected.

With every generation of Pokémon, we get a few meh ones, and a few awesome ones. Megas are, unfortunately, no different.
    Don't get me wrong, I respect your opinion-I agree that magic bounce is only Ok for Sableye, but I've seen good use in it (I forgot it had it, tried to paralyze one on random battles, my own Pokémon got paralyzed)

I suppose, it all depends on personal taste. In the end, not every mega is for everybody. It really depends on what sort of way you play the game I suppose, and in some cases the changes allow for a little twist on playstyle.

That said, Mega Audino getting healer and losing regenerator is pretty bad. Even I'll agree on that.

5. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    I don't know how much I can agree with you here. You keep mentioning the recycling Abilities, but wouldn't it be really overwhelming to give literally every new Mega Evolution an entirely new Ability? You'll get a lot of Abilities that are only used for one single Pokémon, or even just a form of a Pokémon. Of course, not all the Abilities benefit the Pokémon from a competitive perspective, but maybe that's not what they were thinking of when they created the Mega Evolutions. Maybe they just wanted to give it an Ability that actually fits the Pokémon, which is absolutely fine with me. And, even without an amazing new Ability, Mega Evolutions always go paired with stat boosts, which instantly makes a Mega Form more powerful as the Normal Form, which is essentially what Mega Evolution is all about.

Hraesvelgr likes this.
  6. JirachiWish

JirachiWish You only get two wishes

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    I personally don't agree with this... I think Megas are just as good as ever, design-wise and ability-wise. I understand your reasons though. ^_^
    The only Mega I don't like so far is Mega-Slowbro, haha. I don't like it's design. :P

7. Prosecutor

PokéPoints:
    ₽58.7
    Most of the megas are great, except for a few such as Slowbro. I like their designs generally and they should continue making them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.