1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Mind Games: How you play?

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by Xarn, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    We know that Pokémon is a game based on ability and luck, and if we talk about ability, one of the first things that we think are the Mind Games. But, obviously, every person has a different way of playing and a different way to play with the mind of the other person. So, how you play with the opponent's mind? Are you the person that stays in one Pokémon like Aegislash and abuse of it? or are you the one that switches and switches? the staller one? Share it here!

In my case, I am the person that likes forcing the switch, I really like forcing the switch and create opportunities. Making persons switch and making persons think that I will force them again, while I am going to predict their move, so funny XD, they just get they mind rekt >.<

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Synthesia

Synthesia Bird Keeper

PokéPoints:
    ₽67.7
    The way I predict is....

1: I pretend that I am my opponent and think what move I am going to choose.
    2: I respond to the action that I took when I was pretending to be the opponent.
    3: Make the move and see the results.

Mind games are so difficult, it goes one way or another. There is no real answer, you dont think exactly like the opponent.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TripleAAABattery

TripleAAABattery Look at my fluff! LOOK AT IT

Gottem
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 45
    PokéPoints:
    ₽991.0
    In a way of mind games, I usually try to bluff that I'm running a certain move a Pokémon is weak to, or that I'm holding a item I'm not holding. Like I bluff people into thinking I'm using a Scarf Chandelure so that they switch into something like Rotom-W on the predicted Fire move, even though I sometimes use Expert Belt. Boom. Dead Rotom-W

Or how I sometimes don't have Fire Blast on my Altaria, but I switch it into a Ferro so that it looks like my Altaria does. It works a lot, and I take the opportunity to Dragon Dance.

I love mind games .u.

4. Nator

Nator Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    I use a lot of reverse psychology, which can be bad in some cases, because it can cause me to over-predict. After the first few turns or so, I can usually get into my opponent's head to see what kind of player they are. If they're a player to go for a move that's expected, then I will play "normally". If it's an opponent with (or closer) to my mindset of playing, then lots of switching will likely be involved.

5. NativeBlasion

PokéPoints:
    ₽27.8
    I love to force my opponent to switch into Pokémon that they think will be a good matchup, but in reality I predicted it and threw on an uncommon move on my Pokémon to eliminate the threat. I also love staying in when the opponent thinks I will switch, as it completely messes up hazard and stat boosting Pokémon, especially when mine is scarfed.

6. Spammernoob

Spammernoob A Spammer or a Noob?

PokéPoints:
    ₽52.4
    1. Flip a coin to decide whether or not you'll switch
    2a. If heads, roll a dice to decide what to switch to
    2b. If tails, flip 2 coins to decide what move to use
    3. Lose every game you play

East likes this.
  7. MrTimtendo

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    I try putting myself in my opponent's shoes and also weigh the risk vs. reward when I try to predict them; but I often go for the "safer" play. Some Pokémon are quite reliant on mindgames I find, especially Sucker Punch users such as (Mega) Absol, Mega Mawile and Bisharp.

Examples of me weighing risk vs. reward...

--

I have a Dragonite that has Roost/Dragon Claw/Extreme Speed/Fire Punch at full health. My friend has a very weakened Charizard X to the point where Extreme Speed will KO it. But I see that he has a Gengar on his team. Is the Extreme Speed too obvious and I go for Dragon Claw, or be a bit risky and go for the Extreme Speed to nab the KO on Charizard X?

I go for the former and get the prediction right. That was a dead Gengar that came in. :3

--
    In here I have a more in-depth explanation and example. ;P
    Now, with Mega Absol... My set is Sucker Punch/Knock Off/Snatch/Play Rough (Adamant Nature), and my foe has a Dragonite that I don't know the set of. I'm assuming he has Dragon Dance though, but I've actually yet to Mega Evolve (possibly due to the fact I got a KO with another U-Turn user I had or it was a blind switch for both of us). So I'm still stuck with that base 75 speed the first turn. However, I setup Stealth Rock on my opponent earlier, so Multiscale is broken for his Dragonite and he is at 75% HP.

I could Sucker Punch, but what if he goes for Dragon Dance or Extreme Speed (the latter I actually forgot about until I recently used a Dragonite myself lol)? It just gives him a free turn.

I wasn't too sure about Play Rough's damage and if it could KO him at that %, but I was afraid of the Weakness Policy if it did live it. =P

So I was stuck between Snatch and Knock Off, but wasn't sure about Knock Off either since he would still outspeed me naturally for the turn.

I felt like he KNEW the Sucker Punch was coming, so I felt like he felt he could get a free Dragon Dance. And what do you know, I Snatch a Dragon Dance from him. And then I got him to ragequit once I took out his Dragonite and 4 other Pokémon with Mega Absol alone. XD

HOWEVER, had the opponent went for Dragon Claw or Extreme Speed (remember, he would naturally outspeed me on that first turn), my Absol is dead, lol.

Obviously this set isn't perfect, but I think my Mega Absol set does indeed scream mindgames. And remember it has Magic Bounce, so here's my message...
    • Want to attack me (without faster priority)? I'll Sucker Punch you.
    • Want to switch out or not attack me? I'll hit you with Knock Off and cripple you by removing your item.
    • Want to setup stats or heal? I dare you, so I can Snatch it. (Even if it's something like Nasty Plot, which my Mega Absol can't actually make use of the boost, it still puts an intimidation factor).
    • And don't bother statusing me because I'll just reflect it back at you.
    I feel like Snatch helps him get around Sucker Punch 50-50s by being able to steal stat boosts. Stealing a heal isn't too useful for him (unless maybe Wish) since both him and the foe have to be at a low percent (as in, a foe would only heal if their HP is low, but you'd only get use of the heal if Absol is near death), but by the time he's in healing range, he can also be KO'd by the opponent too. =P

--

I feel like mindgames can also occur with status moves such as Taunt, or Substitute.
    Like with Taunt, after you've been Taunted once, and it wears off, do you try setting up what you wanted again, or just attack again expecting the Taunt?

8. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Personally I like that. You should try with Bulky Roost Dragonite to increase durability sometime.
    Yes, Taunt, Status, Magic Coat are all part of Mind Games are a good way to keep on playing and discover new kind of strategies.

MrTimtendo likes this.
  9. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    I predict by putting myself in my opponents shoes. I generally discuss if there's a point to having (insert Pokémon here) out on the field right now. Then I predict their switch, but sometimes I over predict.

10. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    The main system of playing. That is how the people see this system while we see more than that. Possibilities, overpredicitons and hidden strategies. It is not that simple. Your answer is really accurate to the subject and there are a lot of details that you avoid explaining since a good player should know them.
    I like knowing when a player is advanced on the game.
    Mind Games are often a confused with building strategies a common errors created by the new players.
    Your point is pretty clear, good job with your opinion ;)

11. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    Thanks dude! However I must say that prediction is a little difficult, and I only say this because you don't know if your opponent predicts or not. Basically it's a coin flip x3.

12. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    Honestly, the way to play mind games is simple:

1. Set up tons of hazards. (If you cannot, go to step 2)
    2. Switch to Aegislash.
    3. Use Swords Dance.
    4. Use Shadow Ball.
    5. Use Substitute, since your opponent will switch. (If they do not, skip to step 7)
    6. Use Shadow Sneak.
    7. Cry all day.

13. Pitmore

Pitmore Mild Internal Pain

PokéPoints:
    ₽84.0
    erm...

I'd have to say i over predict or i under predict, i'm never, ever in between the two. No wonder i'm so bad...

I like hax too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.