1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Mistaking characters for the opposite gender...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JirachiWish, Dec 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JirachiWish

JirachiWish You only get two wishes

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    Are there any anime/manga characters that are actually the opposite gender from what you thought?

Today, I somehow got into a debate with my 8-year-old brother over the gender of Sora from Yu-gi-oh ARC-V.
    [​IMG]
    http://yugioh-arcv.wikia.com/wiki/Sora_Shiun'in

I insisted that they were a girl because of their hairstyle and high-pitched girly voice, but my little brother said they were a boy...and he was right. I am so ashamed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Bugsy. Azalea City Gym Leader. I... still don't know. Partly for the non-ordinary name, partly for the hairstyle and fashion sense. If I watched the Pokémon anime it would probably be more obvious, but I don't, so... yeah.

On that note, Tate and Liza. I'm guessing Tate is male, but that's mostly by contrast to the more obviously female Liza. I mean, what is Tate short for? Tathan? Not a name I've ever heard.

I'm sure I've thought similar things like your Yugioh example, boy character whose age still gives them less-manly (adolescent or full-grown man, that is) facial features and a high voice probably acted by a woman. The hairstyle and detailed eyes (I notice a tendency anime that women tend to have bigger and more glimmery irises) also lend themselves to the ambiguity. Still, no other specifics come to mind, so I'm going to stick with Bugsy and Tate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    Tachibana Hotaru. She's a girl, but she pretends she's a guy for almost the entirety of the series to fit in with her team. It's happened more than once I just forgot she was actually female...

[​IMG]

4. mweep

mweep The Roaming Legendary

PokéPoints:
    ₽21.3
    I know someone who's name is Christopher and he's called Tate.

Nagisa Shiota, from Assassination Classroom

Depending on his hairstyle and the situation/artist, he looks a lot like a girl. He also get's crossdressed several times by his classmates

Megarai111 likes this.
  5. Megarai111

Megarai111 Elizabeth 3rd

PokéPoints:
    ₽41.6
    Well, most definitely Kirino from Inazuma Eleven Go!
    [​IMG]
    I mean, I still think of him as a her... He does NOT look like a guy to me. Her voice (his -_-) could belong to both a guy and a girl... It's really weird XD

6. Weedle Enthusiast

Weedle Enthusiast Resident Weedle Enthusiast

Best Boi
    (Charjabug)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽57.8
    Crown of ValorDome Fossil ★★★
    I don't know the name, but i know of one character that pretended to be a female under orders, and even forced themselves mentally to fit that role that i was surprised when they were almosr neutered. Until that episode, i thought for sure they were female, thoughso did all the characters. Tate and Liza, i was confused by Tate as well. I haven't seen enough anime I guess for others to come to mind. But usually I can guess the gender fairly easily even in cases where they appear to be a different one.

7. Maantijger

PokéPoints:
    ₽268.5
    This. When I first watched the anime I actually thought he was a girl for the first 6 episodes. He looks better wearing female clothes too >_>

8. Sanctuary

Odd Egg (S)
    (Odd Egg (S))
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽94.1
    When I first saw this topic, I honestly couldn't think of anybody. But after playing Naruto for about an hour, I realized I forgot someone who fits this description perfectly.
    Haku.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's a scene where even Naruto mistakes him for a girl in Part 1 of the anime.
    I still can't see him as a boy, especially with his hair and voice being the way that they are.

Another one would be Juuzou from Tokyo Ghoul. At first, I was a bit conflicted, but it was all mainly because of the hair.
    [​IMG]

His psycho-happy mood also played a part in it, I guess.
    But I can see him as a guy now without a problem (and a very powerful one at that). In the end, he became either my favorite or 2nd favorite CCG character from Tokyo Ghoul.

9. Pokémist

Pokémist Trashcan

smol heart
    (Luvdisc)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,860.3
    Tapunium Z ★★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    As sanctuary, i mistaked haku as a girl. She really looks like a girl, oh sorry! I mean he really looks like a girl and his voice also sounds like a girl but he is boy.

10. Phyxture

Phyxture Camper

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    (Not anime/manga, but still relevant.)
    A year or two ago I had a very counterproductive argument with a young relative of mine as to whether Marth as he appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl is male or female. And yes, I was arguing that Marth is a guy.
    [​IMG]
    I still don't think we've settled that one...

11. Nauris

Nauris The King of Konchus

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    I don't often mistake character's sex, since I have seen enough traps in Anime already.
    Notable examples are Kinoshita Hideyoshi from Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu
    [​IMG]
    Kobayashi Yoshio from Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace
    [​IMG]
    and Shidou Mariya from Maria✝Holic
    [​IMG]

12. Shiningpink

PokéPoints:
    ₽21.3
    China and France from Hetalia

France is really girly

China has his hair in a ponytail, who wouldn't make that mistake?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.