1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Mobile games

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Aiko, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Aiko

Aiko Anti-Shadow Weapon

SS Egg #2
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.2
    Lure Ball ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Ultra Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Does anyone play mobile games? I currently play a decent amount, mainly Fire emblem heroes, Honkai impact 3rd, and Azur lane!

What do you think of mobile games? Do you see them as mainly casual games? Games like PUBG and Fortnite are also on mobile now and since mobile devices themselves are slowly getting better and better, maybe there will be more games like this on mobile! It could possibly even take over handhelds like the 3ds and (now dead) vita!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vaquero

Vaquero Member of the Charicific Valley

King Crimson
    (Charizard)
    Level 41
    PokéPoints:
    ₽946.5
    I play Minecraft on my joke sometimes and I use iMovie. Other than that I use my DS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    I play a couple of mobile games every once in a while. Mainly whatever's topping the free games chart in the app store

4. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,385.6
    I have a low GB SD card, so I only have a couple of games. I play Marvel Future Fight and Madden Overdrive. Both are pretty fun, but I don't get around to playing either most days. Maybe once a week each or so.

5. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I have a principle of only playing one gatcha game at a time, so most of my mobile gaming is on Final Fantasy Dissidia Opera Omnia. Aside from that, mostly I play Pathos (which is Nethack made to be played on touch devices) and a little bit of Gameboy emulation, most recently a particular FireRed hack.

I appreciate the accessibility of mobile gaming, but I do agree with some old folks that it can interrupt social communication. Some other old folks, I wish I could have showed them a 15-years-into-the-future vision 15 years ago as I was staring at my GBA and they were huffing and puffing that I was wasting time and potential and ignoring them, showing them how in 2019 they would be silently playing wordswithfriends for two hours like it's any different from me playing Pokémon Sapphire. But oh well: we're happy with our games, and that's what matters.

6. Shadria

Shadria Impish Illusionary Kitsune

Lucan
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽501.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Sun Stone ★★★
    I have Pokémon Shuffle, Magikarp Jump (I beat it to the end game, so it's just there as I don't want to lose my shiny JoJo-karps), Pokémon Quest, Digimon Links (icky game, don't get it, I regret but love digimon too much to remove), Sonic Forces Speed Battle, Looney Tunes World of Mayhem, and a color by number app.
    I use mobile games for casual things ^^

7. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,913.7
    I'm always scouring Google Play for hero collection games, but at the moment I'm playing through Another Eden (an RPG made by most of the same team that made Chrono Trigger, so if you've played that, it follows a lot of the same story and character beats)

8. East

East Look to the Stars

PokéPoints:
    ₽742.2
    I relate to that super hard, especially with regards to my mom. I loved video games so much as a young kid, and now she's obsessed with playing Disney Heroes, despite telling me to "go outside" once I started getting super interested in a particular game.

On another note, though I really enjoy a few games like Monument Valley (for the graphics and puzzle-like gameplay mostly) and some word games. They're somewhat mindless while teaching me new ways to think of things. Mobile games will likely never reach my soul like consoles do though.

9. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Yeah, it's super hypocritical. My mom is on wordswithfriends for about as much as I was on Pokémon Sapphire, but it's far beyond me to call her out on it, when really it's just because handheld gaming wasn't cool enough for a non-kid to play. But now that it is socially acceptable? Hours a day.

Also, we can't be the only ones who were told to go outside instead of playing video games. And I'm sure I wasn't the only one who took that advice literally, and still would today if I was told to. "Okay, I'll go outside: and I'll bring my pocket-sized game out with me. In fact, one might say it's time for me to Pokémon-Go outside and get that fresh air!"

East likes this.
  10. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I have a bunch of mobile games on my phone, but the only ones I use regularly are rhythm games like Cytus 2.

11. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    "Welcome to Mobile Legends! You have five seconds 'till the enemy reaches the battlefield; smash them!"

12. Jeydis

Jeydis J̷̉͐O̵̔̏Ǐ̶͝N̵̒̍ ̷͚̇Ǘ̸̂S̴͘

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,279.6
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I keep certain games pretty much forever and rotate out others and review them when I do. Current semi-permanent additions to the phone are:
    Pokémon Go, Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, LookYourLoot, Kingdom Rush Frontiers and Dragonball Legends

On rotation:
    Potion Punch and Dota Underlords (my phone is not liking that one)

13. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I play Pokémon Go whilst I am out and about, but only because it's something to do where I can't read. I've tried to get into other mobile games but they honestly don't hold my attention because they're just not aimed at me - I don't like paying for games more than once, I am impatient and I hate waiting to do things (so combine this with my refusal to pay and that dramatically limits the number of mobile titles I could play) and as a handheld/console gamer I just find the presentation unpalatable, by and large.

That said, I am looking forward to SINoALICE, and the second that comes out I will probably drop Go. It looks absolutely fantastic, with an interesting premise, an amazing soundtrack - although with Keiichi Okabe at the helm I would expect nothing less - and Yoko Taro at the helm. It's NieR for smartphones. Give it to me NOW.

But honestly, I hate the way game developers treat and perceive mobile titles. The practices common to mobile titles - microtransactions, etc. - have infected the industry as a whole now to the point that they have become normalised. This general perception that mobile titles will eventually "kill" handheld and even console gaming has led to the decline of some of my favourite publishers and series, as they buy into and actively work to propogate it.

I would lay the blame squarely at the feet of Pokémon Go for the decline of the main series of Pokémon titles, for example. It's pretty clear where the focus of TPC lies when you consider Go's success and the complete lack of care and attention put into Sword and Shield especially - you can tell that console titles are becoming less and less relevant to TPC, because there just isn't as much easy money in it...compare the number of mobile titles we've had compared to the number of NEW console spinoffs we've had since Go launched and you'll see what I mean.

Also Square Enix, who were once at the forefront when it came to high-quality console JRPGs, now churn out mobile title after mobile title, and some, like Star Ocean Amanesis, are better quality than their mainline console counterparts! There was talk of remastering Dragon Quest IX during the anniversary event for it and the platform considered first was mobile. Not Switch, or PS4, but mobile. Despite the overwhelming success of these platforms, game developers just don't have faith or interest in making games for them.

This saddens me a great deal. Mobile games are easy, low cost affairs, and if they're good enough they rake in staggering amounts of money. Nearly everyone has a smartphone these days, so you have a far wider potential customer base. Anyone can play a mobile game, and that's a wonderful thing, it really is - the days of video games being just for boys or rich people are long over, and I welcome the diversity of the media because I think everyone should be able to experience video games, the same way anyone can watch a movie or TV series, or read a book, or listen to music.

But for me personally, the rise of mobile gaming has resulted in the death of a lot of my favourite series - or at the very least a severe decline - and a worrying change in how a lot of video games are presented as they attempt to capitalise on what makes the mobile market so lucrative. I grew up with immersive, lengthy story-based games, and whilst I don't have the time for them that I used to, these kinds of games are still my primary interest, and I am seeing less and less of them from developers who are more interested in making money and exploiting customers - because microtransactions, lootboxes, fee to play, gatcha mechanics etc. ARE exploitative, whether you're the target or not is irrelevant - than they are in making high quality products.

I do not think mobile games are bad, but I do think that the way they are perceived and treated by those that make them is bad, and I worry for the future of the game industry as a whole if things continue as they are. I don't buy into the whole "mobile games are killing consoles" talk, but I'm not the one making the games, and the people who are either DO buy into this or are actively working to make it a reality so they can more easily line their own pockets. It's concerning.

14. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    I play summoners war, seven knights, Rucoy online (underrated mobile mmo), soul knight and Arcaea

15. Dwight

Dwight School Kid

Red Boi
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1.9
    I play mobile games pretty frequently. There are a lot that I leave and come back to and I often try new games that pop up. I will say that my staples are the Clash games. My all time favorite mobile game is Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes. Sadly, I do not play it anymore though. The game has just become very pay to win and I do not love that.

16. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,111.9
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    On my ipad I mostly play mobile rhythm games- those being Cytus 2, Arcaea, Phigros, and Dynamix. Very rarely do I play Genshin Impact because it drains my battery and I have no idea how to play. As for my phone, the only games I have are Love Nikki, Phigros, (both of which are also on my ipad) and Pokémon Go.

17. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    t best, I only play Fire Emblem Heroes. By "best" I mean logging in once every other month to get some new character, end up disappointed, and leave again. To be honest, I haven't been able to really connect with the idea of playing games on my phone. I'm just not used to it, and if I actually want to play something, I prefer sitting down somewhere and have an immersive experience, something my phone just can't provide me with, sadly.

18. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Well, my roster has expanded; besides the typical MOBAs (Mobile Legends > Wild Rift fight me), I've also cursed myself with the addiction of gacha games - Arknights, Star Rail, Ultra Impact. UNITE's in there too; and I used to play Dragon City as a challenge among friends but we've mostly forgot about it now.

19. SAF

SAF Team of Conflict

Ants Troubled
    (Durant)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽8,621.4
    Potion ★Lucarionite ★★★★
    Emulators aside, I only have Arcaea, Cytus 2 (both being rhythm games), and everything available in Google Play Games that doesn't need installing...