1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Monotype Discussion

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by thathyena, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thathyena

thathyena Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    Hey guys, thathyena here. Since I joined LV to participate in a gym leader style challenge, I was really surprised to see that there wasn't a topic for monotype discussion. Basically, this thread will just be for discussion of the monotype metagame: what types to watch out for, counters to every team's specific weakness, innovative new sets, that sort of thing. To kick it off, I'm gonna be talking about the first monotype team I built: fairy.
    Any mono-fairy team needs one thing: Mawile. In my opinion, there's no excuse for not running it. I'm sure I don't have to tell you guys just how threatening this thing is, but on a monofairy team it becomes even more important. Steel/fairy is such amazing typing, and being able to switch in on poison type attacks is a blessing, especially because this thing hits back HARD. There's a lot of ways you can run mawile, but on a fairy team, focus punch is definitely worth considering. If you can get up a sub, mawile can suddenly tear through anything that might have checked it, especially the one thing that will wall your team the hardest: steel types. Fairies don't have a lot of ground/fire coverage, except Clefable's flamethrower and Granbull's EQ, and most of them aren't fast and powerful enough to KO a troublesome steel type before dying from a steel STAB move. With focus punch, you can run punch holes in troublesome walls, making mawile that much more valuable to a fairy team.
    Another great Pokémon to try is scarf Gardevoir. Poison is a big weakness to fairy teams, and one of the hardest matchups you'll have. However, psychic/fairy typing gives Gardevoir a chance to sweep entire poison teams, especially with the speed boost from scarf. All you have to do is take out that troublesome drapion (because no poison team is going to be caught dead without it) and you can sweep entire teams with impunity. Plus, trick takes care of any troublesome walls you might run into, and STAB moonblast is always going to hurt.
    Anyway, I hope that's food for thought for any of you thinking about mono fairy. Before I go, I have a question for you all: what's the most threatening type about there in the metagame right now? Let me know below!

2. Northwind's Call

PokéPoints:
    ₽91.5
    monofairy?

rip paraswagplay klefki you will be missed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Slash

Slash ヽ(◉◡◔)ノ Sky's the limit!

PokéPoints:
    ₽35.0
    First monotype team I built was water. Lots of Pokémon to choose from, with different niches and playstyles to build around with. In my opinion water is also the most threatening, considering there are a lot of various strategies and dual-typed Pokémon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. thathyena

thathyena Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    I've tried a lot of different types, but mono water is definitely one of the most threatening. With awesome Pokémon like Greninja, Gyarados, Keldeo, Azu, Starmie, and so many others to pick from, it can be intimidating even in team preview. Plus getting stuff like Tentacruel to tank grass and water/ground types to completely eliminate any weakness to electric is fantastic. The only thing a mono-water team usually lacks are some coverage moves, like strong grass and fire attacks. Even so, water is a great competitive typing with lots of options to pick from. Personally, I'd like to see a mono-fire team. Anyone have any suggestions for that?

5. Magistrum

Magistrum Swimmer

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Torkoal is almost a must in fire mono, since its utility options such as rapid spin, stealth rock, clear smog, and/or yawn, as well as its good bulk are invaluable. Fire-mono is full of offensive mons, so keeping rocks off on your side is pretty much required. Heatran is also another mon that has a boatload of much-needed resists; it helps you take care of leads/setup sweepers via taunt/roar and also for spreading burns/poison.

Charizard Y is usually the preferred option here since sun support helps offset the water weakness, but Zard X is still acceptable if you wanna go the Combusken Baton Pass team route.

Victini is a good option as a massive nuke thanks to band V-create, and has good coverage options in Bolt Strike, Grass Knot, U-turn and Zen Headbutt, and could also go mixed with Blue Flare, Psyshock and sometimes even Glaciate.

Other members vary from CB Entei for 50% burn rate Sacred Fire and priority Espeed, Infernape as a SD sweeper with priority Mach Punch, Volcarona as QD sweeper with Giga Drain/HP Ground to take care of fire weaknesses, Arcanine as another defensive mon thanks to Intimidate+WoW+Morning Sun support and Houndoom as a Nasty Plot sweeper or Sucker Punch Mixed sweeper with access to Destiny Bond.

6. Palmtree

Palmtree School Kid

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    I've found that mono-water is very dangerous. Politoad with Drizzle and Kabutops swift swim, that in culmination with different defensive and special defensive walls like Seismitoad and Jellicent and your team will be a force to be reckoned with. For the grass types you can run a water/flying like Pelliper who could also serve as a defensive wall. For the electric types you can run Swampert, Seismitoad, Whiscash, or even Lightning Rod Seaking.

7. ninJAS

ninJAS Proud new daddy!

O_O
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11.8
    Ultra Ball
    No love for MonoGhost? Such a good offensive type now that Steel doesn't resist it. There are also plenty of solid defensive Pokémon if you want to go that route and can really become annoying for your opponent to do anything with.

I also am a huge fan of MonoGround though it does have several very noticeable weak points since so many Pokémon pack Water, Ice, and Grass moves. Still is fun to use though and can make a pretty damn devastating offensive Sand team.

8. Magistrum

Magistrum Swimmer

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    The recent revamp of Monotype had quite a huge impact--- the gates of ubers partially opened, letting out some mons to be temporarily allowed in monotype. Deoxys, Aegislash(only in MonoGhost), Mega Mawile, Kyurem-W(only in MonoIce), Skymin(only in MonoGrass), and Genesect.

Thoughts?

9. ninJAS

ninJAS Proud new daddy!

O_O
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11.8
    Ultra Ball
    Will definitely make the meta more difficult though Ice and Grass are generally not very common with the introduction of Kyruem-W and Skymin they may begin to become more popular due to their outright power and speed/flinch respectively. Same goes for Deoxys seeing as Psychic mono types are generally not seen often but with all three formes becoming usable, I assume all 3 any way, then they could see some new light but I am honestly doubting it...

Aegislash, Mawile, and Genesect will definitely be on A LOT of teams though due to Ghost, Steel, Fairy, and Bug all being very common monotypes. Will make things more interesting to say the least but I doubt things will change a whole lot outside of seeing both Mawile and Genesect on Steel teams as a makeshift offensive core hitting things on the physical and special side respectively.

10. thathyena

thathyena Youngster

PokéPoints:
    ₽15.0
    I'm quite happy with the development of a separate monotype banlist, as some mons that were quite broken in OU don't make much of a splash in the monotype metagame. On the other side, some Pokémon in monotype are too overpowered for use there, and deserve to be banned from the monotype tier, but not OU. Personally, I'm happy to see Genesect back, and having slash gives ghost one of their most versatile and bulky Pokémon back, while keeping steel from being broken. Deoxys formes are all very powerful and annoying, but again open up more options for the psychic type and make it more viable, which should ultimately be the goal of the metagame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.