1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Monotype: Synergy and Teambuilding Questionnaire

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by Xarn, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Monotype Synergy and Teambuilding
    This Topic is about how you handle to build a monotype keeping synergy, competitive viability and relevant stuff. This also includes old gens, if you want to share an old team don't forget to say that it is an old one and which generation are you talking about
    To make this Topic a little more interesting, I will run some specific questions that you will have to answer by yourself.
    Please, try to keep Constructive Criticism if you are going to talk about a team that belongs to another member. And remember, maybe the other person has a different opinion, so DON'T try to change it. Keep your suggestions as suggestions.
    Without more introduction, lets start with it:​
    1- Do you have problems with synergy when building a monotype team?
    In my case I have problems in types that have pretty closed options. For example, types like Dragon doesn't count with many options to counter status or non-direct damage. Another Type that has closed options is Steel, that doesn't count with enough Special coverage. Every type has its problems with something to counter, but mainly Steel and Dragon are the hard ones for me.​
    2- How you handle them? Or if you can't, how you try to do it?
    Sometimes, It is really hard to handle things like closed move pools or non-status prevention. I often build the team first and after that I try to counter with the best way I can. But, I usually like to try some experiments that include a little of prediction.​
    3- Do you have a different teambuilding method when you build monotypes? (if you only play monotype, just talk about how you build the team)
    Personally, there is not too much difference, but these are my words of course.​
    Every team that I build no matter the Tier/Format is based in a simple system: Picking one by one covering weakness and following the basic structure: Lead, Lead Supporter, Core and Coverage/Filler. Obviously there is a little difference, monotype asks for more focusing in the synergy problem.​
    4- Which is/are your favorite/s type/s of monotype?
    Ghost and Dark are awesome.​
    5- Why it is/are your favorite/s? It is because you simply like it/them, or because it is easy for you to build it/them?
    Are really open to different options. They are definitely my favorites. You can be offensive, defensive, physical, staller, wall breaker, anti-stall, these types are really good for me.​
    6- Want to share a team? Do it here and explain it if you want.

Here is one of the old ones that I picked and modified from a friend (he is not from here, don't worry XD). It was for 5th Generation but actually I am running it in Showdown. . Gave me really good results in Showdown, even if it is from another Gen, I modified it to be more adaptable to the current competitive battles.​
    Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Rash Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Dark Pulse​
    Haxorus (F) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Outrage
    - Dual Chop
    - Brick Break
    - Earthquake​
    Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 156 SpD / 4 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Thunder Wave
    - Roost
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Tail​
    Salamence (F) @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Moxie
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Brick Break​
    Kingdra (F) @ Chesto Berry
    Ability: Swift Swim
    EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Waterfall
    - Rest​
    Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf
    - Energy Ball​​
    7- Who is/are the Pokémon that often give you a problem or make you take an extra/s prevention/s?
    Depends in how I play. But in Dragon's case, I should say Fairy Scarf users like Sylveon and Gardevoir. Also the Priority from Pokémon like Sableye is really annoying too.​
    8- Which preventions do you take?
    For the Will o Wisp or other status, I run Lum Berry Salamence or I just switch to an special offensive user like Latios or Hydreigon. My problem is still with the Scarf Fairies, that I can only prevent if Kingdra got Swift Swim activated by my opponent, or if I was able to set up a Dragon Dance. Other way was using the scarfers, but it is nothing, because it is not a solid answer.​
    The preventions are really poor here, maybe using Healing Wish or Magic Coat support could be a little useful, but they are still difficult to use.​
    9- If Pokémon gives you the chance to create a Pokémon to fill a slot in your Monotype Team, How it should be?
    Pay attention to this question and be serious with the answer, (Do not include Over Powered or that kind of stuff).​
    (If you already got what you were searching for, post it) ​
    My answer is Mega-Altaria in the Dragon Monotype case. Added recently in 6th generation.​
    Altaria @ Altariaite
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 64 HP / 192 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Return
    - Earthquake
    - Safeguard​
    Safeguard solves many problems with status. Given the fact that Outrage users will suffer too much a status change from Will-WIsp running Safeguard will give enough chance to prevent this. I will be replacing Kingdra with it.​
    10- Do you think that some Pokémon shouldn't be allowed in Monotype?
    I really don't have problems with the Pokémon in Monotype. After all, it is always funny for me to face difficult battles. Actually, I must say that I forgot about Aegislash around, but I don't consider it a problem.​
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------Conclusion---------------------------------------------------------------------
    So now is your time to answer. I leave the questions here:
    3- Do you have a different teambuilding method when you build monotypes? (if you only play monotype, just talk about how you build the team)
    5- Why it is/are your favorite/s? It is because you simply like it/them, or because it is easy for you to build it/them?

7- Who is/are the Pokémon that often give you a problem or make you take an extra/s prevention/s?
    9- If Pokémon gives you the chance to create a Pokémon to fill a slot in your Monotype Team, How it should be?
    Pay attention to this question and be serious with the answer, (Do not include Over Powered or that kind of stuff).
    (If you already got what you were searching for, post it)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Wiso Altred

Wiso Altred Dragon Tamer

tetsu
    (Ledyba)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽66.8
    as Im using a dragon type team Ofcourse i Do i have problems with fairy and Stauts users such as Sableye​
    I cant handle them efficntly,but i do try.For Faries i have equipped my fast Sweepers with Steel-Type moves to ohko the fairies if possible.As for Stauts Users I use a Mega Alatria​
    Mega Altara@Altariate​
    Ability:Pixilate​
    - Hyper Voice​
    - Flame Thrower​
    - Dragon Pulse​
    - Heal Bell​
    3- Do you have a different teambuilding method when you build monotypes? (if you only play monotype, just talk about how you build the team)?
    I am a hyperoffensive Player and so i made my team dragon and build it out of the strongest fastest and bulkiest i could find With a few exxceptions like Noivern it may be fast But its just not Powerfull Enough,For the move set i choose Moves that deal most type covrge and have a secondry effect it might save you just in the last min,Some times i find that my team has a lack and a weakness as you battle more and more players in that moment i go and change myy team to adapt,maybe thats why im obssivly battling ;p​
    Dragon And Fighting​
    Well,I just simply like dragons and thy are hyper offensive so i use them, as for fightting Fighting has alot of Type Covrage Secound to normal Ofcourse and there are quite alot of options for you in the fighting type mono type teams​
    Sure What do i have to lose?​
    Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
    Ability: Pixilate
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
    Modest Nature
    - Heal Bell
    - Hyper Voice
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Flamethrower

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Ice Beam
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Tail
    - Fire Fang

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
    - Draco Meteor
    - Magic Coat
    - Healing Wish
    - Defog

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
    Ability: Teravolt
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Fusion Bolt
    - Outrage
    - Iron Head
    - Facade

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - ExtremeSpeed

Sableye and M-Gardevoir are my problems Because M-Gardevoir can achieve somewhat of high speed it outspeeds about 40% of the dragons and because of its bulk i cannot OHKO it by using moves like iron tail,As for Sableye when used as a mixed set(with mega stone but taking advantage of prankster part before M-Evoultion)It can be quite a pain if you misspredict a least once but for that i do have the mega altria to OHKO Sableye/M-Sableye

In cause of a stauts i switch in Altria/M-Altaria And either naturalcure switch if the time is right or use Healbell and then Attack the Stautser with or without M-Altaria Fairies? Just Send out my Scarfed Mence And Irontail them out again i have a whole diffrent startegy for gardevoir which Envolves Sacrficing(Gamefreak why did u have to OP faires this much)i send in my latois to take he hit then use thunderwave to para the gardevoir ofc then latias Faints so i send in my kyrum black and use Iron head due to Kyreum-Black being the sttrongest OU Pokémon with a Austounding 175ATK base it OHKOs Gardevoir and thats how i do it.

9- If Pokémon gives you the chance to create a Pokémon to fill a slot in your Monotype Team,What Would you want it to be?*
    Well I Guess the onlyoptions left for me are either Dragagle,Haxorus or Noivern so i would choose Noivern Though its not as powerfull it will give me some what of an advantage if it has lifeorb or expertbelt(given tht its set is covrage set) and its boost in speed outspeeds Gardevoir Which gives me an edge if i was able to harm Gardevoir a bit

Well for one Kyrum-black is defenatly too OP for monotype and since talonflame is already banned i guess i would turn to Ageislash or greninja Since greninja has been rated to ubers and so was Aegislash a suspect is bound to happen soon but if ageislash got banned it would help me due to steel being the only type that resists dragon

Longest Post i have ever Made URGH, my head hurts How long did it take you to write all this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Pitmore

Pitmore Mild Internal Pain

PokéPoints:
    ₽84.0
    I don't have much problems with mono teambuilding, you just have to take each thing at a time, I do the basic Pokémon first, then parry's, then individual needs, in monotype, you have to take it step by step.

its fun to handle only having one type, it makes you think of different Pokémon that you wouldn't have thought of before, that's what I love about monotype, you're always trying to change it, it isn't trying to change you.

I answered that in Qu. 1 I think

Ah, probably Grass, my favourite type of bug, bug is very diverse.

Grass, as I described it is normally calm and persuasive, but sometimes it goes apes**t, bug on the other hand is incredibly diverse.

I don't do much mono now, all my 'mons are outdated.

This review is very good though, and I can see why you like Dark and Ghost!! :P

~ Bionic

4. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Not a guide, not a review. these are only my answers. And apply to my particular case with monotype. That is why I leave the questions in the conclusion, I am challenging you to answer them all :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.