1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

TV / Movies Most disappointing movie you've ever seen?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ethereal, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    I think most people have been super hyped to see a particular movie, only for it to end up being no where near as good as they hoped it would be. What are some movies that disappointed you when you finally saw them?

Into the Woods is my answer.
    I went to see this one for my birthday not long after it came out. I was looking forward to seeing it because it looked like a cool movie judging by the adverts I had seen on TV. I was expecting a movie similar to Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. Boy was I wrong.
    Unfortunately I had no clue it was actually based on a musical, and I was not prepared for the 2+ hours of almost continuous singing.
    Now, I don't hate musicals at all. But this one... jeez. If they had added a bit more spoken dialogue between the songs it wouldn't have been as bad.
    The songs were also way to long, and not even very good if I'll be honest.
    I wanted to walk out of the cinema at least 30 times during the movie, but some how I managed to stay until the end. That's 2+ wasted hours of my life I'll never get back...

Tl;dr - Into the Woods is one of worst and most disappointing movies I've ever seen at the cinemas.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,633.7
    "Land of the Lost", by far! I only stuck around because a friend had invited me, and I wanted to see if it got any better (which it didn't).

"The Master of Disguise" runs a close second--you know you're in trouble when your hero is named after a nut.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon certified EPIC Gamer™

Bondo
    (Sobble)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,003.8
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★
    For me, it was the movie adaption of the book Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. Now, when I first heard about it, I was excited, since I loved the book. My friend watched it before me and said it was bad. I went to see it with my friend “Pickles” (what I call her). The movie started off following the plot of the book, even quoting the book. As the movie continued, it drifted farther and farther from the book until the entire second half of the movie had a completely different plot compared to the book. For whatever reason, they ended up at a circus? Not to mention, they swapped the peculiarities (powers, essentially) of 2 characters, and one of them was wrong (the girl could create fire with her hands, not that her hands were perpetually on fire). Also, the wights (the bad guys in the book) hunted for human souls in the book, not human eyeballs. I was utterly disappointed exiting the movie theater. (I mean, it was a book to movie adaption, so what was I expecting?)

#3 Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  4. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    I may be yelled at for this one, but "Home Alone" has got to be the most underwhelming movie I've ever seen. For years it was hyped up to me about how great of a classic it is and how it is a "must see". I finally watched it this past holiday season and I couldn't even finish it. Just was not a good movie and I did not find much charm in it at all.

5. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    The Visit.
    The trailer really hypes it up but it's just boring and kind of disturbing.

6. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I get what you mean. Until the last twenty minutes or so, the movie is just mediocre at best. Those last twenty minutes though are comedy gold if you like slapstick humor, so I always enjoy myself.

As for disappointing movies, I would have to say Sherlock Gnomes. I didn't expect much from a sequel to a movie like Gnomeo and Juliet, but I at least thought that the plot would be decent and the characters wouldn't just be jerks, based on the good writing of the original. I called all the plot twists a half an hour before they happened. Gnomeo and Juliet was a horrible idea executed very well. Sherlock Gnomes was just a horrible idea.

7. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    The entirety of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. As a fan of Marvel comics I frequently find myself disappointed by these, because at best they're plagiaristic rubbish, at worse the quality is on par with the original X-Men trilogy. They're mediocre adaptations of fantastic storylines, give incredibly poor treatment of the antagonists, and outside of their insanely high production values and special effects there is absolutely no reason to watch them. They haven't had a single original idea in any movie thus far, and what they do have in there is watered-down and filled with jokey wordplay in some vain effort to disguise how poor quality they are. Literally every character sounds exactly the same at this point.

I realise this is the price of adaptating text to film, but...come on, even the Harry Potter movies did it better than this. Even the Hobbit trilogy, even. At least these showed the source material due care...mostly, if you discount the two Deathly Hallows films. The MCU is the equivalent of a bad fanfic writer who steals the ideas of better writers and just changes the names slightly here and there. Or a disgruntled writer who writes their own ending to a book series because they're not happy with how it ended. They've had ample time to improve upon the quality of the films now that the origin stories are out the way, but they've just gotten worse and worse by stripping the personality of every character away.

What makes it aggravating is that it is entirely possible to do a good adaptation of a comic book storyline, or just a good superhero movie. X-Men: Days of Future Past was fantastic (although the less said about X-Men Apocalypse the better) and the Deadpool movies are amazing. Despite being preceded by two TERRIBLE movies, Logan was brilliant as well.

And they so very nearly got it right with Black Panther. If they'd not followed the same formula they have with every other character debut it would have been a fantastic movie, but Killmonger fell victim to the same bad writing and, whilst T'Challa himself didn't make irreverant quips every other time he said something, everyone else around him was perfectly willing to pick up the slack.

Just Disney being Disney, I suppose.

On the subject of Disney: Star Wars. I didn't think it was possible for there to be Star Wars films that were worse than the prequels...then The Force Awakens happened. Or rather, A New Hope happened a second time, because there wasn't a single original idea to be had in that movie; it was A New Hope again, right down to the awful lightsaber fight at the end. The Last Jedi only made it worse...ironically by not being like The Empire Strikes Back, although god knows it tried at times, especially at the end.

What makes these films so disappointing is that, bad as they are, they FEEL like Star Wars movies. The prequels were very bogged-down with pointless politicking, extremely bad acting, and technology that just doesn't look right because it looks more advanced than the originals despite being set before them...and then there were the midi-chlorians. The sequels don't seem to know whether they are coming or going - plot points get casually forgotten about or outright written off, and they're basically a lot of NOTHING. It's more Star Wars for the sake of more Star Wars: there is no real story to be told here. The fight scenes are awful, too. Trust me, if you watch that throne room fight scene-by-scene, it's a lot less impressive: there is a lot of pointless jumping about, and one guy's weapon outright disappears at one point. Bad as the prequels were, the lightsaber battles were definitely on-point at times - say what you will about The Phantom Menace, but that two-on-one lightsaber fight is one of the best fights in Star Wars - and the sequels seem to be taking the frantic action approach rather than the more precise fencing-style approach to combat the originals had. That, plus Disney clearly have NO IDEA how lightsabers work.

I found Wonder Woman disappointing as well, because I'd been led to expect a lot more than what I got from it. Plus I just couldn't get past the idea that Arthur Weasley from the Harry Potter films was the main villain. Delivering lines exactly the way he would have if he was still in those films. Gadot's accent was truly diabolical as well; it was Scarlet Witch from Age of Ultron all over again.

8. Shade

Shade Sailor

Lux
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽380.5
    Ultra Ball
    Epic Movie for me.

This was the film that taught me what a parody was.
    The trailers made it out to be a fun crossover of several different films, I didn't count on how horribly idiotic it would be.
    I felt bad for coaxing my mom into seeing it and wasting her money.

David Thewlis wasn't Arthur Weasley in the Harry Potter films he was Remus Lupin and was a villain long before he was a werewolf professor, see Dragonheart.

9. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,229.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    Surprised no one has mentioned the atrocious Last Airbender adaptation. I remember eagerly waiting to watch a new interpretation of a cartoon I loved growing up. 90 minutes later, I watched the worst film I had ever seen. This is from someone who has watched both Baby Geniuses movies, Sharkboy and Lavagirl, Spy Kids 4, and the live action adaption of Cat in the Hat. At least those films were entertaining to some extent. The Last Airbender turns every character into bored sounding husks of their former selves and teases a sequel that was never made.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  10. SawstheSawsbuck

SawstheSawsbuck Sir Sawsbuck

Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽560.5
    Master BallLegendary Triforce ★★
    The Last Airbender
    I can't believe I had expectations for that movie being awesome back in 2010 :(

FireSpartan5 likes this.