1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

TV / Movies Movies/TV shows with too many sequels/seasons?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by VictoryStar34, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cresselia
    (Cresselia)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,104.6
    I can't believe I forgot this one, but...Smallville. That should NOT have had an eighth season. It just doesn't work without Michael Rosenbaum's Lex - the definitive Lex, in my opinion - to offset Welling's Clark. Doomsday, Zod, and whatever the hell was going with season 10, just wasn't as good. I think that can mostly be blamed on the departure of the original writers, though.

Stargate SG-1 should have stopped after 8 seasons, too. Seasons 9 and 10 were basically a continuation of Farscape...admittedly, I will never say no to more Claudia Black in anything, but lord almighty the show did not need Ben Browder as well, he didn't really serve any sort of purpose. They could have used those two seasons on Atlantis instead, which ended far too soon.

Saban should never have gotten the rights to Power Rangers back, either. After Disney FINALLY got it right with RPM - definitely a top contender for my favourite season - they lost in, and we've been "treated" to nothing but garbage for years since. Unrivalled despair ensues as the original theme gets recycled over and over, as though that was what made the original series so successful.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Furie

Furie Black Belt

Slagros
    (Umbreon)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽60.9
    Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars (please don't hurt me), The Land Before Time movies, any Disney Princess movie. I also think it's pretty lame that Disney is re-doing a bunch of their movies with live action characters. Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, The Jungle Book, any that they're planning. At least Maleficent had a completely different spin on Sleeping Beauty.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    FireSpartan5 likes this.
  3. Hikari

Hikari Poké Maniac

Ryu
    (Trapinch)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽450.7
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    I was going to say One Piece (but someone already mentioned it), so how about Detective Conan? There are also 800+ episodes (actually, they have more than One Piece).

I don’t know how they’ve been dragging on the series for so long while going... not really anywhere from what I’ve seen. Maybe some plot has happened, but I see very few major changes.

4. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    Detective Conan is a much better example. At least One Piece was planned from the start and has an end goal, so technically speaking, it has just as many manga chapters as it was supposed to have with more to come. Detective Conan on the other hand has no planned ending. The creator has stated many times that he'll end the series but only when he knows how.

Also, how did I forget about Land Before Time? Seriously, I can't believe they're still making those films. Wasn't a TV show good enough? (By the way, it seriously took them almost 20 years to make a show based off of this franchise? American Tail was more successful and it didn't get nearly this much attention)

5. SkyBlueFox1

SkyBlueFox1 Black Belt

Rose
    (Ninetales)
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,728.9
    To be honest, I actually liked Jungle Book a lot (the plot was focused and the CG never got distracting), but I definitely agree regardless - I feel like Beauty and the Beast wasn't really needed, and the idea of a CG Lion King just feels like they're retreading even more old ground more because they know it'll make money rather than because it'll be cool.

Like, as far as I'm aware the original Jungle Book wasn't all that popular (and certainly not compared to TLK/B&B/etc), so a CG remake to tighten things up and give it a different visual spin makes sense to me. I wouldn't have minded if they'd done a trend of remaking other lesser-known Disney movies like that, just to spitball and see what clicked.

Furie likes this.
  6. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    I'm not dreading the Lion King remake as much as most people simply because I've heard from a story standpoint, they're going to make it more similar to the Broadway show than the original movie.

But like most film remakes, I feel like it would be a better idea to remake the ones just about everyone hated, especially The Black Cauldron. I do kind of like that film, but at the same time, it had a lot of untapped potential that I'd like to see Disney do something with. But let's face it, that film lost to The Care Bears Movie in theaters, so it's not so much a question of should it be remade but rather how many would actually want to see a remake of it. As much as remaking bad films makes more sense than remaking good ones, I also have to come to grips with the fact that there is a perfectly logical reason why they prefer to remake good films since those are more likely to make a profit.

SkyBlueFox1 likes this.
  7. Otter Mii-kun

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    I can think of three franchises on top of my head that I believe are worn out with too many incarnations, sequels, and seasons, and should be put to rest for good:
    • Law & Order: This franchise has overstayed its welcome, particularly with Special Victims Unit. What's even more ridiculous is that Ion Television (a programming service available as a cable channel and also owns and operates a bunch of television stations across the US that carry its programming) runs that franchise at nearly all hours of the day.
    • CSI: Another crime drama that overstayed its welcome with multiple incarnations in the years that franchise was on the air.
    • The Fast and the Furious: I don't get what's so special about this film franchise. Furthermore, the franchise's short name has been associated with a major Obama administration scandal.

8. Shayminlover123

Aria
    (Sneasel)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽724.4
    The Fairly Odd Parents...seriously just stop making seasons for it already. It used to be one of my favorite cartoons as a kid and I watched it get worse over the years. The same thing goes with Ben 10.

9. dangokura

dangokura what is happening ;w;

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    eheheh star wars (same @Furie eheh) and am i the only one who thinks pokémon’s anime is way too long ? i’m okay with the manga,, but the anime feels a little.. repetitive. it’s more or less travel, battle, aaand team rocket. and on occasion, the regional villians. the manga has a lot of battle, but it doesn’t show every one of the battles that the main character participates in like the anime does heheh.. the anime has less storyline than the manga (just my opinion, don’t hate me pls)

Furie likes this.
  10. SkyBlueFox1

SkyBlueFox1 Black Belt

Rose
    (Ninetales)
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,728.9
    I think the Sun/Moon season(s?) have done well at portraying an alternative story so far, if mainly because having all of the trial givers as characters to go along with (on top of Lillie, Lusamine's alternate portrayal, etc) makes for an interesting spin. I definitely agree with other seasons, though, after the early ones the formula got extremely stale and fast. I'm glad it got shaken up, even if just a little bit.

11. dangokura

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    i'm not up to date with sm eheh,, i hope they let serena cameo, though! i didn't like her for the first 60 episodes (basically, long-haired serena) but she got pretty cool after that~

12. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Well, I can confirm Misty and Brock make a return real soon.

13. dangokura

Mythical eggo
    (Celebi Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽314.2
    they have! the eps are sm 42 and 43 if i remember correctly :) it makes me hope that the rest of the travelling companions will cameo :D i wonder if they'll let iris cameo though. bw's anime didn't receive positive feedback from the viewers, hence her non-appearance in xy (i assume that's the reason). but her non-appearance gives her all the more reason to cameo, maybe..?

14. Crest

Crest Hex Maniac

Tirion
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽198.0
    It kind of feels like SpongeBob Squarepants is on the same life support that The Fairly Oddparents is. The show's post-movie seasons have been suffering from serious rot (mainly thanks to both the characters and the show's increase in "grossout/surreal" humor becoming really... obnoxious at times?), though a few of the most recent episodes make it seem like they're slowly trying to turn that around. But even with Stephen Hillenburg returning to the board for Sponge Out of Water, I think the series is overdue for being put to rest. Nickelodeon probably isn't likely to do so any time soon since this show and The Loud House are their crown jewels and all, but sometimes I really wish they had gone through with their original plan to end it after the first SpongeBob movie.

15. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Ice Age for sure. There are like, what, five movies now? And with each sequel the franchise is getting gradually worse. I mean, I didn't hate the most recent one, but it was incredibly silly, especially when you compare it to the first two movies.
    Time for this film series to die off thanks.