1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

TV / Movies Movies you thought you'd hate, but actually ended up loving instead?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ethereal, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Ethereal

Ethereal LV Lurker

Luigia
    (Lugia Egg)
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,311.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Poké Doll ★★
    Kind of the opposite to my 'disappointing movies' thread. These are the films you expected to walk out of thinking "well, that was crap", only you were totally wrong. Instead they actually blew you away with how amazing they were.

There are two movies I've seen in recent years that evoked this reaction from me.

The first one was Baby Driver. When I had initially heard about it via reddit I thought it sounded stupid. Baby Driver? Really? What kind of title is that? I was honestly thinking it was some sort of romantic comedy film, and a bad one at that.
    Then one of my friends asked me if I wanted to go see it with her, as she had heard it was getting good reviews. I was hesitant at first but in the end I decided to go. Hey, it can't be that bad, right?
    Well, the day came and we sat down in our seats and the movie started. What followed blew my friend and I away. Both of our eyes were glued to the screen throughout the entire runtime of the movie. It was amazing! Everything about it, the way it was shoot, the soundtrack, the acting, everything. It was so good that I would have gladly watched it again, hell another 10 times even.
    Fantastic movie, and one of my favorites from the last 5 years. I'll have to rewatch it sometime soon.

The second movie that impressed me was A Quiet Place. It looked painfully average from the trailers I had seen, but my mother wanted to go and see it with me so bad, and I thought why not? Can't be as bad as some other horrors I've seen.
    Well it ended up being great! One of my favorite horror/thriller movies and one of the most tense things I've ever watched. Also one of the few 'scary' movies that actually managed to scare me. Haha

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    The third movies in a series usually aren't very good. Thus, I was worried about Cars 3. The first Cars was a childhood favorite and the second one wasn't a notably good movie, but still some wacky fun. Cars 3 exceeded my expectations in every way. The movie wasn't perfect, but it's definitely something that I will watch again in the future.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    When Frozen first came out, everyone was hating on it and yes, the animation and design is a bit lazy, but I enjoyed the film? Kristoph is so real.

4. FireSpartan5

FireSpartan5 Pokémon Professor

Zane
    (Genesect Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.4
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Choice Specs ★★★★★Flame Orb ★★★★★
    I thought when it came out that literally the entire internet was praising it and everyone and their mom was singing Let it Go. The animation was pretty decent. I didn't think I would like it that much, but I really enjoyed it. I think almost everyone did.

5. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    It must depend on the sites we use, on tumblr everyone was and is complaining about it.
    Like it has its flaws but generally, in terms of the plot and content, there's nothing wrong with it.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  6. Shade

Shade Sailor

Lux
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽380.5
    Ultra Ball
    Admittedly, I have a rap sheet of judging a film based on its trailer(s) and naturally because trailers, as I've learned over the years, tend NOT to reveal much about the main plot, this has resulted in vastly different experiences when I'm made to actually watch the film.

This was the case with the following films:
    - Shrek
    - Meet the Robinsons
    - Tangled
    - Tuck Everlasting
    - Ratatouille
    - Trolls
    - Wreck-it-Ralph

After actually seeing these films I found them far more in-depth and enjoyable than the trailers had suggested.

Hating on Frozen? This does not compute.
    As far as I was aware, it's popularity kinda blew up the film industry and it was Disney's highest grossing film since The Lion King.
    I thought that I was in the minority as someone who by no definition hates it but feels it has developmental issues.

7. Rezna

Rezna Every Day's Great at Your Junes!

Why do eggs break ffree
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Water Stone ★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Captain Marvel. As said before, the trailers usually betray the movie, as did Captain Marvel. I originally wasn't into the character, and the trailer just didn't look good. But today I saw the movie, and I absolutely loved it! The acting was good, the script was funny, the plot twists were great and unexpected! Also, Goose.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  8. Chicken

Chicken Cringe Overlord

Sven
    (Fennekin)
    Level 51
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,412.1
    Ice Stone ★★★★Icy Rock ★★★
    I completely agree, considering the numerous controversies surrounding Brie Larson.

I originally expected the movie to emphasise on how "females are stronger/just as strong as males", but this movie does none of that, which is a good thing because nobody wants politics in movies. The acting felt genuine, the CGI was good, and so was the score. I personally preferred this film to DC's Wonder Woman, but only due to the tone.

Though I really wish they could develop Captain Marvel as a character better. This movie IS called Captain Marvel, after all. I was also disappointed with what they did with some of the characters(I found it quite ironic that Lee Pace's name appeared third on the poster that was displayed outside my cinema, right after Brie Larson and Samuel Jackson when his character only appeared for such a short period of time in the entire movie.).

But yes, the "cat" was easily one of the best parts of the film.

FireSpartan5 likes this.
  9. LadySmugleaf

LadySmugleaf Cries in Poetry

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,085.9
    Tucker and Dale vs the forces of evil

My BF showed me this when we we're first dating. I was wary of it because of the R rating and I don't do any kind of horror. But it was really funny and I enjoyed more than I thought I would.

A Quiet Place

Again, my BF dragged me to see this. I watched like half of it (the other half was spent cowering in his arm because it got to be too much) but it was decent- I did enjoy a few of the more heartwarming moment and can appreciate the realism. I might watch it with him again.

10. Rezna

Rezna Every Day's Great at Your Junes!

Why do eggs break ffree
    (Groudon Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽35.7
    Thunder Stone ★★★Water Stone ★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    "It's just a cat."
    Yeah, also, my sister I watched it with, is a huge fan of captain marvel comics. Turns out, it was supposed to be an air force captain, Captain Marv ell or whatever but because of politics, they switched him out for the old lady. Also, her character development sucked. It took until the last 20 minutes of the movie to explain who she was, and to finally get her costume.