1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Music Music and Reading

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Syaoron the Fox, May 23, 2017.

Tags:
?

Do you listen to music while you read?

1. Yes, but it has to fit the scene.

25.0%
  2. Yes, any background music will do.

41.7%
  3. No, no music whatsoever.

33.3%
  1. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Poké Ball ★Dawn Stone ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    People like music, and they like reading. But do they like both of them together? As a writer, I like to imagine what's going on in my book and then, sometimes, a piece of soundtrack or a song will come to me in the moment, and I'll listen to it while I read.

How about you guys? Do you listen to music while you read? If so, is it comfortable background noise, or do you prefer if it fits the scene?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,983.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    Yes I listen to music when I read, but I listen to music all the time because I can't live without music, which music is pretty much based on my current mood.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HeroofFire101

HeroofFire101 Stirlingite

Ember
    (Quilava)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,634.9
    Sometimes, I put on Pandora Radio on one of my selected radios, like Lindsey Stirling, MonsterCat, and most recently, Panic! At The Disco, and leave it on while I'm doing something. Like baking. And reading

4. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    I'm probably the odd one out but listening to music while reading doesn't work for me. Sure, it helps me write from time to time, but when I put on my tunes to read it kinda throws me off. I prefer to have my mind occupied by one thing when I'm focused.

In the extremely rare case I do listen to music while I read, it has to fit the scene. Otherwise the effect of the text's emotions kinda fade away.

luxuryluxray likes this.
  5. JadeFox

JadeFox Valor Veteran

Manchot
    (Piplup)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽91.6
    Premier Ball ★Beast Ball ★★★★Park Ball ★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    Ayy, I remember you talking about this once! I really like trying to put different music background pieces together when I'm writing, and the right music makes the story flow a little better. I write mostly Pokémon Fanfics anyway, so if my characters are in a certain place it battling a certain person, I usually listen to the corresponding music.

6. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    When I'm reading I like to listen to music without any singing. Game and music soundtracks usually are the best for that. =3

7. Aiko

Aiko Anti-Shadow Weapon

SS Egg #2
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.2
    Lure Ball ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Ultra Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Depends. I like listening to instrumental music while I'm reading, but other music just distracts me too much >.>

8. Morgaine

Morgaine Goddess of Shinies

Bolero
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5.7
    Crown of ValorSoothe Bell ★Heart Scale ★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    Mostly instrumental music. But when writing something really emotional I can sometimes use lyrical music to put the mood really into it. Reading doesn't matter, I forget that the music is even on most of the time.

9. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I'll turn on electronic/alternative when I'm reading, preferably something without many lyrics, like ampyx. Sometimes I'll put on relaxing stuff, and occasionally the lyrics will make it into my writing (since I do that).
    #MissingNo

10. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    It honestly depends! I enjoy to listen and read but if I need to remember this then I need to turn off the music. I have a bad habit of being a terrible multitasker so sometimes I just can't have music playing!

11. ~Nova~

~Nova~ Birby Friend

PokéPoints:
    ₽284.5
    Yes, although mostly because I read a lot at school, where no one knows how to shut up. Music blocks out their yelling pretty well.

12. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    I like to be able to concentrate, and music distracts me from whatever it is that I'm reading. Particularly while studying, oh boy

13. Syaoron the Fox

Skittles
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽339.0
    Poké Ball ★Dawn Stone ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Interesting! A lot of you guys from what I've read enjoy mostly instrumental music during reading, or none at all. The reason I asked the question is this: whenever I write and read, personally I can envision the scene as it's playing out, and a bit odd music helps to complete the scene for me.

So, to help my readers envision what I see, I like to suggest bits of music in the stories that I write. I did that in ffn, but not here. I might consider doing that with instrumental music now, but we'll see. Obviously there are some crowds who prefer it more than others. :s

14. Eclipse

SkittleBox
    (Staryu)
    Level 82
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7.0
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Comet Shard ★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    ^

I listen to music for two purposes: one is to relax and unwind, and the other is to disrupt my thought process - which is why I listen to music to help me sleep. When listening to music, it disrupts any thoughts I have, in part because I instinctively try to follow the beat of the music and try to predict where it goes next - even if the music happens to be atmospheric and has no beat to detect! For books I need to be able to concentrate and savour what I'm reading, and music really doesn't help me with that at all.

15. Azazel

Azazel Better count your blessings

Diancie Egg
    (Diancie Egg)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽4,559.5
    I can listen to music whilst reading Manga, but not a novel, I find it can be distracting without the various pictures.