1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

My first Competitive 7th Gen OU Team

Discussion in 'Festival Plaza' started by Xarn, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    7TH GEN: OU TEAM.
    Here I am, here is my team and here is Pokémon Sun and Moon ladies and gentlemen! Every detail, is on the spoilers and there is an explanation for everything (or almost everything because I have been out from RMT for a long time and still have to put in practice my awesomeness abilities at the battles to be on my powerful pants again)
    [​IMG]
    Mimikyu (F) @ Red Card
    Ability: Disguise
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Play Rough
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Thief
    - Swords Dance

Set Up Sweeper. Physicall Sweeper. Play Rough for STAB and Shadow Sneak for STAB plus priority. Thief for Coverage. Swords Dance to Set Up. Red Card to force opponent's switch + Disguise is like too much to handle, the first one force the opponent to switch after attacking and the second one makes you immune to the first attack coming from the enemy. 7th Gen gave us a Set Up Sweeper that can safely use the Set Up, disengage opponent's strategy and keep a decent type since the only Weakness are Steel and Ghost and after that only status can be a problem to this Set/Pokémon. Nature and EVs for a Fast Physical Sweeper since bulk is too low and Speed is needed to make Thief and Play Rough the first move in most of the times.

[​IMG]
    Salazzle @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Corrosion
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Flamethrower
    - Sludge Wave
    - Toxic

Special Sweeper. Sludge Wave and Flamethrower for the STAB and Dragon Pulse for the coverage (also there are a lot of new dragons that are increasing the amount of users with this type). Toxic is an option to stop Tank Pokémon that could be a problem for the rest of the team + Corrosion we can also use Toxic over that annoying and OP Toxapex. Expert Belt since Flamethrower and Sludge Wave offer such a decent coverage but sometimes I prefer the Life Orb. Salazzle helps to clear Toxic Spikes since some opponents enjoy using the Toxic Spikes Toxapex instead of the Toxic one. Nature and EVs for a Fast Special Sweeper.

[​IMG]
    Araquanid (M) @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Water Bubble
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Liquidation
    - Leech Life
    - Poison Jab
    - Mirror Coat

Special Wall. In my opinion Araquanid is one of the most broken Pokémon at this Gen. Having only 3 Weakness (Flying, Electric and Rock), this Pokémon has just too much Special Defence and a powerful move-set that makes it the perfect Assault Vest user. Liquidation and Leech Life for the STAB, Poison Jab for coverage and Mirror Coat to destroy Special Sweepers. Nature and EVs for a common Bulky Physical Sweeper and giving the 8 at Special Defensive to get another 8 from the AV.

[​IMG]
    Kommo-o (F) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Bulletproof
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
    Naughty Nature
    - Clanging Scales
    - Sky Uppercut
    - Earthquake
    - Poison Jab

Bulky Physical Sweeper. 7th Gen keeps showing us how its Slow Sweepers are the future at OU and how the Fast and Absolutely broken Powerful ones will be at Ubers (insert Pheromosa here). Clanging Scales for STAB and give Special Offensive since physical Dragon moves are not giving the results as they did in other Gens. Sky Uppercut for STAB + Coverage (Steel, Rock, Normal, Ice, Dark). Earthquake is a really needed move against Magnezone and Heatran that are taking an important place at this season (even more than 6th Gen if you let me say) and also for the always good coverage that an Earth move can offer (Poison, Fire, Rock, Electric Steel). Bulky Physical Sweeper EVs and Nature + 4 EVs at Special Attack for the Clanging Scales. Nature takes Special Defence instead of Speed in case of facing other Kommo-O.

[​IMG]
    Greninja (M) @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Battle Bond
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Dark Pulse
    - Water Shuriken
    - U-turn

Special Sweeper. Just adding Greninja for fun since it requires a lot of play making to take advantage from Specs + Battle Bond boost. Even if it is just for Fun, the Special Damage is enough to 0KO several foes with both Hydro Pump and Dark Pulse (STAB moves). Water Shuriken for the boost that gets from Battle Bond, STAB and increase the check using Physical Damage. U-Turn as always to check opponent's walls and increase the amount of switching and forced switches in both sides. Nature and EVs for a Fast Special Sweeper, 4 SpD doesn't have a real utility actually. Choice Specs for the Special Attack boost.

[​IMG]

Palossand @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Compaction
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Lax Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Giga Drain
    - Rock Slide
    - Destiny Bond

Physical Wall. Covering damage from Electric foes, that is why I picked this Earth Type. Water Compaction is hard to use but pretty useful in the correct time. Shadow Ball for STAB, Rock Slide for the Coverage, Giga Drain against Water Foes and Destiny Bond to take the enemy with me. Leftovers for sustain. Nature and EVs for a Physical Defensive Pokémon.

I hope you enjoy rating the team and applying that awesome constructive criticism that always help us to improve.
    Thank you for the space, I will be on the comments!

EDIT: I will be adding matches :D

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-486939855

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Martsian

Martsian Gym leader

PokéPoints:
    ₽72.8
    Look mate... This team is a nice 1st "alolan" try but there is an issue.... UB and tapu are corrently in meta and your team has nothing to protect from them.. BUzzwhole or pheromosa ends your team in a sec... Also your team has trouble deal with the steal type mons that are corrently in meta (celesteela,katrana, magearna).. Nice 1st try though( i really love the defensive pallosand)... GJ mate Xd

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Xarn likes this.
  3. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Martsian is it you? O.o. How are you men? It has been a while xD.So, UB, TAPU and Steel types. Yeah, I am pretty sure that a team with Pheromosa (Band-Scarf optional) , Magnezone (Specs-Scarf optional) Volt-Turn Strategy (Personally, I love using it xD) would be almost impossible to handle.

I would like to get suggestions to replace Greninja. Maybe an Steel Type?

Thanks mate,

4. Reborn

Reborn Signature Creator

PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.3
    Yeah as Martsian said, it really lacks the fundamentals required to perform well in the metagame. Pheromosa in particular can just fire off a huge U-turn for free on every single member and a lot of the sets just don't really make sense. Plus lacking rocks and hazard removal is pretty awful. I'm not going to suggest mon changes because honestly I feel like I would need to replace at least 1/2 of the members to properly cover for all the broken stuff running around in the meta.

First off Thief Mimikyu. 60 base power non-stab Thief even at +2 will hardly put a dent in anything, and as far as coverage Ghost + Fairy is perfect neutral coverage and Dark doesn't hit anything super effectively that Ghost wouldn't. Quite literally a waste of a moveslot. I would suggest replacing it with Shadow Claw as a more reliable ghost STAB.

Again, Dragon Pulse Salazzle? Why? it only hits opposing dragons super effectively and Poison Fire hits most mons neutrally. You might as well replace it with a move that you have a reason to click, like HP Ice vs Lando/Garchomp. I would also replace Expert belt with LO just to make your STAB moves still deal decent damage when only hitting for neutral damage.

I don't really have anything to say about Araquanid, except that I don't think it's very good. It does have decent bulk, but I feel like it will easily get worn down after repeated switch ins and doesn't really have the offences to force switches of its own.

I have no idea why you are using Clanging Scales on Kommo-o. It just seems random, not to mention on a banded set. Banded Dragon Claw is far more spammable, benefits from your physical investment, doesn't force you to run a Naughty nature. I'm also not sure about investing so much in bulk. Not running speed just means you can't force out things like Rotom-W which just outspeeds clicks will-o-wisp on you right now. i would say you want at least enough speed to outspeed Jolly base 70s like Bisharp and Breloom, but max speed Adamant may not be a bad call not at least speed tie with opposing base 85s. I'm also not sure about Sky Uppercut. It's just not a great move and doesn't really hit anything that your other coverage moves don't already. Maybe replace this with Outrage as a nuke option once your opponent's fairies/steels are cleared (though you struggle with them anyway so...)

I feel like Greninja loses a lot from not being able to switch up its moves, and the additional damage from specs compared to LO isn't worth that. You certainly don't want to be locked into Water Shuriken and being locked into a particular move against certain walls will force you to switch out when you otherwise could just switch up moves and KO them. I also personally don't value battle bond over protean, just for it's inability to spam STAB ice beams and deal with its counters as effectively as it could in ORAS (I'm not sure if it still gets Gunk Shot and Low Kick).

I quite like the idea of defensive Palossand as well, but I feel the set doesn't make sense. Firstly, surely you want Shore Up as a move? It's a recover that heals more in Sand and isn't affected by other weathers with 16 PP. Seems invaluable. Again, Ghost/Ground is pretty great neutral coverage and Rock Slide/Giga Drain don't really hit much that it wouldn't hit neutrally already. So Shadow ball and Earth power just make sense. Lax Nature just doesn't make sense on a defensive mon, at least go -Speed. And finally, I'd go with Toxic to wittle opposing walls and put key mons on a timer.

Sorry if I sound harsh, bu there are some fatal flaws to this team and for the most part it kind of just needs a whole restructuring, keeping in mind the most common mons running around in the format and fundamentals like hazards and hazard removal, as well as having a team style in mind like hyper offense, bulky offense, balance and stall.

5. Xarn

Xarn Sponsor

Dragonite
    (Dragonite)
    Level 56
    PokéPoints:
    ₽316.9
    Don't worry about sounding harsh xD. I sound like that almost every single minute xD. So, yes Hazard and Hazard removal is an important thing.
    Thief is something that was there in case of running a Weakness Policy set, still finding a different move was not my favourite idea.

Building this team was something that I consider a future inversion. Since Ultra Beast are going to be banned because they only find counters in small groups of Pokémon.

The team lacks of options and mobility. Switches are a risk, walls do not have the proper sets and every Pokémon at this team does not complete a proper function.

The main purpose of this team is to funny disengage solid strategies at the current meta-game since most of players are still learning how to use Ultra Beast and some like Pheromosa are only Revenge-killed by a proper priority moves.

I will be showing a new team the next days for the current meta-game. Meanwhile, will be modifying this little one xD(since building from the very beginning will be the best idea)

@[member="Martsian"] and @[member="Reborn"], thank you guys. You always get the point fast xD We should meet in Showdown to see how is going each other!!

I will be more thankful if people keep giving their opinions since it will be good to have a participation from most of players :D