1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

My way of making RPs and why it takes me so long to respond

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LassusVulpes, Mar 28, 2021.

1. LassusVulpes

LassusVulpes Eclipse Holder

THE BIGGEST FLEX
    (Giratina (Origin))
    Level 55
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.1
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Hello there. I'm the crazy person in the RP corner. If you've noticed, I take a long time to respond to rp's most of the time. This is not only me being dead inside, but also a long process I do.

I have an entire list on what I do, just to keep an RP active.

1- Creation (birth of the story)
    2- Replies
    3- Music <3
    4- Character creation / balance
    5- How I think characters will interact
    6- Is it possible
    7- What is the after effect
    8- What does it look like ?
    9- How will the things chain out with the other participants, and how well are they able to act on my reply
    10- Does it follow LV Guidelines?
    11 - Inspiration

So lets get started off on creation of rp's. First off, no I do not just grab a random plot out of my a{redacted} , I mostly come up with ideas while laying on my bed at night because well I have nothing else to , and it helps keep me entertained because I can't sleep. I think of new rp's / stories to make. I keep those ideas in the back of the head, and while in school when nothings happening, try and write them down. see if I can get any good spark.

I've wrote a handful of them , and just deleted them cause they weren't even good. And sent some to a pm between me and Link1 my evil twin, I'll sometimes go back to them, and try them out a bit more, to not like them. Even though I can get really close to finishing one off and getting a character sheet.

My RP , Desolate lands, took me three weeks to write, so I could get ideas in my head, how I want to do damage totals, story, creatures, and classes. Things like this, take time. And I spend a good amount of time thinking of ideas and plans for rps. Which is why it takes me so long to produce replies .

And for replies, during the day , while laying on my bed I'll come up with ideas for my actions, most of the time I go to Black Garden, or Guardian Rangers, as they're my longest running series, and take more time and thought to have put into them as they already have a world planned out from years past. I started Black Garden back in 2015, nearly 6 years ago.

I will scrap ideas to come up with better ones in my opinion, that help progress the story, because an Idea I had from 6 years ago, can differ then an idea that's going on in the roleplay so far.

AND THEN WE GET TO MY FAVORITE PART, PICKING THE MUSIC FOR EVENTS! I take a good amount of time to pick the music, as imo music can set any mood, if you're in any of my rp's , you'll know I'll add a music spoiler tag, that can range from Mayday, to Heartbeat Heartbreak.

I choose my music, by just listening to a lot of music mostly while either doing Risk of Rain 2 runs, or League of legends. I also get some of my songs from Osu, there's plenty of songs there.

Now, character creation is one of those that is hella tricky to do. As if you have a magic character, you need to learn how to balance their power. Example, I've reran Heras (my character) power in Guardian rangers SEVENTEEN TIMES! AND WE HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN TO THE PART WHERE WE HAVE POWERS! It started with her just having a grappling hook, to being able to change parts of her body to long metal blades that she can extend for as much blood as she gives it, to fire, to F{redacted} GOING ROUGE AND SHOOTING BULLETS EVERYWHERE SHE RUNS . But I've come up with a balanced one that Mighty will have to wait and see ;)

But along with that, you also got to make your character look good. Not just a hoodie, a pair of shorts, and a gun. I take time to think of how my characters look, if I had drawing skills , I would draw them out cause I like them in my head, and I want to show other people how I see them. Like how the hell do I show Lance (Guardian Rangers) being this big f{redacted} dude with big muscles with a giant sword on his back??? And don't you dare say , just write that. Because that doesn't work, cause I GOTTA DESCRIBE THE SWORDS, CAUSE GOD I LOVE WEAPONS, THEY'RE SO COOL AND I WANT ALL OF THEM

And now we get to character interaction. Like how Maokaw , and Loki (Black Garden) will act to one another , right now they act spiteful to one another due to trickery and foul play, but in the future I plan on making them work together to kill a creature together using their powers to smash through the creatures armor (devoicing spoilers cause either Baran or Jup may be reading this, if you are reading this. sucks to suck >: ) )

This goes to other rp's as well, as if everyone acted like "AYEEEE HOW YA DOIN?" to each person, it would get dull. So I think about how characters should act to one another, this can range from spite, to friends, to love (not really, there's no characters that love one another in any of my rp's. well uh. the ones I control . *COUGH TALA'S CHARACTER IN CODEX*

Now for 6, it's one of those that can kill an idea. is it possible ? Chances are, no. This can either be an act against physics, an act against something that happened prior in the RP that cancels it, or just doesn't make sense. Like let's say . . . I can't have Maokaw (Black Garden) Slice right through a large wanderer. As that makes no sense right now, as he was barely even able to scrape one in a god state (too long to explain). So I can't just have him easily slice through his issues. And I also can't just make Tera (Guardian Rangers) fly to dodge a bullet, as she has no form of generating wind, she could propel herself in the air by summoning a pillar under her, but she cannot break a piece of the ground out and fly on that terrain . It's Earth Bending, not Telekinesis

All this boils down to is, What happens in the RP if I act this. Like say, imma use Desolate lands here. Iva (my main character) decides to suddenly try and swing at Maya (Choco's Character) , That would cause confusion, and anger between the two. Making them not trust one another as much. And chances are Daigo (Saf's character) would try and break them up, as Angela (My secondary character) watches from a far.
    "
    Another one of my favorites, What does it look like? This goes for sound, looks, and feel. I can kinda be descriptive with words, still working on it. But I like to make a world that feels nice to live in, and not just a gray world of no description. Imma use Codex here. " Large pillars of stone and basalt lay high in the sky. As the wind increases, the dandelions fly off their seeds dancing in the wind. The sun was at its set and the sky went from orange to purple. Clouds drift over head. A lone birds call -" story things This was a few months ago, and this is barely even describing the terrain , I didn't mention the cottage, the forest, the large open fields. There's a lot I could've added.

Number 9 mostly fits for replies, how can other people act on what I say, are they able to easily respond, if yes. Good. If no. I send a message in the campfire (a large pm of all the rp members , and ask them if they need an edit if they take 5 days to respond, if they pass a week and there's 3 people, their turn is skipped to keep the rp goin)

and number 10 is self explanatory. I've had to scrap some plot ideas because they broke a handful of guide lines . but hey at least I check :p

Number 11, I take inspiration from Manga, anime, YouTube, and watching random things. This ranges from Fire forces, Benimaru vs Demon fight (you know, if you know), to watching a dude mount a 5000 watt laser to his car
    (edit: 11)

Now . You see why it takes me so d{redacted} long to respond.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  2. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    Oh wow, I usually wing it… In all seriousness though, all the RPs ya make are bloody awesome! Ya should try writin' a book or something, yer story-making and world-building abilities are blinding~

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    SAF likes this.
  3. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Grace
    (Shaymin (Sky))
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,937.8
    Wow---now I wanna RP an ancient Kanto story with you--then you can describe all the swords (and bows, and ribbons, and instruments, and other kung fu movie weapons) and magic spells you want!

We can just do full on The Legend of Zelda-esque martial arts adventure, or we can have the Pokémon cast (and any OCs) be actors in an over the top style of theater that regularly performs this kind of story.

4. LassusVulpes

LassusVulpes Eclipse Holder

THE BIGGEST FLEX
    (Giratina (Origin))
    Level 55
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,993.1
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    @WavePearl , sadly. I found I don't do as well in other peoples RP's, I much prefer being able to control the tides of how the story can go.

However, If you're ever down for trying out desolate lands, it will have an opening area soon where people are able to join. I feel like you'd have a great time being a bard, as they use music to buff allies and control the flow of a battle , by using debuffs on their enemies, and buffs on their allies. That or, when I finally make a new RP , which may be soon as I got an idea i'm trying out tonight .

WavePearl and SAF like this.
  5. Barandofl

Barandofl The eyeless user

AeroHail
    (Mew)
    Level 101
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,562.9
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Crown of Valor
    I agree with the way you handle character interaction. It gets kind of dull when all characters act the same way. Having conflicts with one another and having them treat each individual differently really Builds life in characters and makes the world feel more real.

For example, how Alaunus sees Grenfell in a more friendlier light rather than Maokaw, who he sees as nothing more than a child who won't stop throwing a fit for everything.

Jupjami and SAF like this.
  6. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    (Also Grenfell refers to everyone by name at least once, except for Maokaw~)

7. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Nightmare Tala

Hoppip
    (Skiploom)
    Level 29
    PokéPoints:
    ₽17,057.9
    King's Rock ★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Basic Gary Oak ★Darkinum Z ★★★★
    It is that I stopped roleplaying or else, I would love to do one again. XD I hardly mind if it takes longer, However when I need to reply I can think of something fairly quickly as a reply. I used to do like 6 at the same time. Even so, not all my characters that I made are once's I fully like. Due to some guidelines, I might have some trouble to reply nicely. What I do have noticed is that I am at best to make more evil characters. And progress from off there, in the rp I did with you, I had trouble to make her progress into a more positive character. I guess its because I hardly use her in a different kind of setting than my original intention for her in my story.

So yeah, I did like the rp. And who cares if it takes time. As long as ya are happy with the development of the story, than its all good.