1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Spinoffs Mystery Dungeon - is it a done deal?

Discussion in 'Other Pokémon Games' started by Achromatic, Sep 11, 2017.

1. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    I mean... maybe?

Taking a look at this:
    [​IMG]

I question what the advantage would be for Chunsoft to keep producing Mystery Dungeon games. I don't think SPMD was a bad game at any form -- and from the best of my observation, I don't think anyone else thought it was a poor game too (certainly an improvement over GTI) -- but numbers speak far more than sentimental feelings. With SPMD being the lowest selling Mystery Dungeon game to date, it's likely that it might be the last unless the devs at Chunsoft feel like taking a risk and possibly developing a Mystery Dungeon game for the Switch. It might come at a loss, it might not.

Really, Chunsoft's best option is, if the Switch ever has VC, to just re-release all of the classic Mystery Dungeon titles there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Pory-ZPlayz

Pory-ZPlayz Your Friendly Neighborhood Glitch

Iceon
    (Eevee (S))
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽158.5
    Exp. Share ★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I think Nintendo copyrighted a new mystery dungeon a few months ago in Japan. It could of been rumble, i forgot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Baratheon

Baratheon Ours is the Fury

Slash
    (Zekrom Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽378.4
    Soothe Bell ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Oh man, I hope it’s not, but it certainly might be so. As with the sales figures above and just sentiment I’ve seen, Super got a kinda lukewarm reception, which makes me hesitant to hope for a new series title.

4. Beffie

Beffie clear your cache

beautiful and perfect
    (Feebas)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,170.2
    Crown of ValorDawn Stone ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I'd like to see a new PMD, but honestly ever since GTI the games just haven't been the same for me? Super looks pretty solid and a wonderful improvement over GTI, but something about taking PMD to 3D kinda made it fall for me. I heavily prefer the first two games stylewise, as it's simple and easy to navigate.

I'd love to see a modern PMD with the old top down style of Rescue and Explorers, but I doubt it will ever happen.

5. SkyBlueFox1

SkyBlueFox1 Black Belt

Rose
    (Ninetales)
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,728.9
    I haven't posted in like a zillion years (oops) but I figure I'll toss my hat in again just to clarify some stuff;

After Explorers of Sky, Chunsoft ended up merging companies with Spike (and becoming Spike Chunsoft, natch), and in the process they lost a good chunk of the original programming team for PMD, on top of a few other folks like Arata Iiyoshi (the music composer) and such. This more than anything is the primary reason that Mystery Dungeon's jump to 3D as a whole feels so different from the 2D counterparts or even older 3D games like Chocobo's Dungeon. There's a significant amount of differences in the engine and that engine's presentation, and that alone can be enough to hurt the later games - especially since the engine tends to have a lot of minor issues, like slight input delay even when you only have a few character models onscreen at once.

Gates to Infinity in particular was basically Spike Chunsoft's Mass Effect: Andromeda; it was their very first game after the merger and for a number of people on the programming team, it was the game they cut their teeth on, so to speak. It's not an excuse, but knowing makes it easier to understand why the game feels so stripped-down. What it doesn't excuse, however, is why every MD game afterward has most of the same issues. I won't bring up Etrian Dungeon since it's just okay at best (it has a lot of issues), but the reason Super didn't sell very well is that while some people do like it more than Gates, general consensus was that it's actually a big step down from GtI, despite having more mechanics and stuff. I don't want to get on the topic for too long since I could rant about it a lot all on my own, but in a lot of ways it's a really lazy, unpolished game.

I've actually kind of changed my mind compared to my earlier posts in the thread in that I have a gut feeling that they might make one last Pokémon Mystery Dungeon to serve as the swan-song for the 3DS, but as much as it pains me to say it, I'm not exactly holding out hope for it to be any good. Passable, maybe, but not good.

6. Grimwave

Grimwave Decepticon

Megatron
    (Beldum)
    Level 7
    PokéPoints:
    ₽153.2
    Dome Fossil ★★★Premier Ball ★Darkinum Z ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I hope that this is not the end for the Mystery Dungeon series, although I have a feeling that we haven't seen the last of it. So far there have been new Mystery Dungeon games to keep up with the new generations (Gates for 5th, Super for 6th), and there could be one for 7th gen.
    My first Pokémon games were Explorers of Time and Darkness, and they were what originally made me love Pokémon. They had an amazing story that kept me playing for the longest time, and a post game that was just as great. With Explorers of Sky adding even more on, it was a great experience and I hope that there will come another Mystery Dungeon game that will live up to the same greatness. Super Mystery Dungeon is good, although I just didn't get the same feeling from it, and the post game just isn't really much.
    I have hopes for a 7th gen Mystery Dungeon, so maybe that could happen.

7. Canpake

nice
    (Palkia Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽41.2
    One of my favorite youtubers, Arlo, did a great video on the subject about how Nintendo's philosophy and attitude is changing on the switch over to the Switch (ha ha). Arlo is a major fan of the paper-mario franchise that had the same kind of downfall that PMD had. And by that, I mean a couple BELOVED games that over time got drastically revamped and changed- more often than not, for the worse.
    (If you want to watch the video I'm talking about, it's
    )
    Arlo brings up that management is changing hands at the moment, and it could be for the better! I mean, look how Odyssey and Breath of the Wild turned out- they are a complete reimagination of some big franchises and they came out to shattering praise and applause.
    If I were in charge of the PMD franchise, I want it to go back to 2d sprites. I really enjoy that classic feel (I'm currently replaying explorers of time) and think the sprites look much cleaner than the 3d models. And god, if they could give me a story as involved as the Explorers line... I'd be in heaven.
    I just love Pokémon spinoffs, and PMD is near and dear to my heart. I feel like it would work great with the whole pick up n' play thing the switch has got going on for indie games, and really hope they do something with it for the switch.

BluetailsTheBuizel likes this.
  8. Saraceaser

Elfea
    (Honedge)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽48.0
    I love the Dungeon games, so the optimist in me says that they'll come out with another game sometime in the future.

Realistically, I say it's kind of teetering on the 'maybe' and 'maybe not's.

I actually kind of enjoyed SPMD, (Gates was just... bad, really) but it seemed kind of, well, easy to me? How I (with hope) view it is that it was made with the intention of getting younger and newer Pokémon fans to try out the PMD games, so maybe with that out of the way they could make a PMD game that might finally bring back the good old days of Sky, since, you know, Sky is the best PMD game. (not biased)

Well, I REALLY hope they continue to make the PMD games, anyways!

9. Jupjami

Jupjami Thy friendly neighbourhood birb shaman

Hollow
    (Trevenant)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,572.7
    Leaf Stone ★★★Dragon Scale ★★★Darkinum Z ★★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I hope they make a sequel to PMD2.
    And also, maybe they could make an anime series about it (what if Ash was a Pokémon? But NOT Pikachu. Maybe Treecko :))
    If any of those happens (especially the 2nd) I'd be very happy