1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

NaNoWriMo 2k17 Ideas

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Nova Ozuka, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    Every year, I've attempted to write for National Novel Writer's Month. Not one year have I ever successfully completed it. I've tried a story revolving around Mega Evolution and the Knights of the Round Table, but that one hardly got off the ground. I've tried an original idea that I can't even remember, but it went about as well as the one from before. I've tried a superhero themed story that made it past Chapter 10, which was by far my most successful attempt yet.

Last year, I attempted a Super Smash Bros fanfic, which went about as well as the first two. This year I was just going to play games and then write my game play into a novelization. It didn't even have to have a plot, so ordinarily there wouldn't be much of a problem. There was just one glaring flaw.

How was I supposed to write about my gameplay if I can't even find a game in my collection that I want to play?

Now I'm turning to this site. Hopefully some of you can give me some story ideas that I can attempt, because I've got nothing. The only thing I've decided is that if I don't get an idea for a story, I wouldn't bother replacing my laptop battery, and I also wouldn't bother taking the month off from my Sprite Comic, Kirby Card Clash, or from rping over at the Super Smash Bros RP Forum, SUper SMash Bros: Life Itself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hikari

Hikari Poké Maniac

Ryu
    (Trapinch)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽450.7
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    So you want to write a novelization of gameplay? Fire Emblem can be a good way to go, as well as Pokémon (I hope I'm helping).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,871.5
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★Root Fossil ★★★Beedrillite ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★
    You could also do a casual game such as Stardewvalley/Harvest Moon, or Animal Crossing. These might end up more 'slice of life' style, but I'm not sure

4. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    Unfortunately, I doubt I could novelize Fire Emblem very well, and I don't think I could get into it or Pokémon very well. The only way I could manage Pokémon is if I novelized Ultra, which comes out the same month, but I can't really wait for it to come out to start writing.
    I doubt I could pull off novelizations of those games either. Especially when the only one of those games I have is AC New Leaf as well as Happy Home Designer.

5. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Adding onto Hikari's suggestion, maybe you can novelize a Pokémon nuzlocke? I'm a huge casual gamer so I don't have many games in my collection that I can think of ;u;

6. Wings

Static
    (Shinx)
    Level 100
    PokéPoints:
    ₽677.2
    First off, I'm super impressed that you have the time do NaNoWriMo and I think it's awesome that you're doing it again!

Secondly, I agree with what @vaporwave said. Novelizing a Nuzlocke could be a lot more fun than novelizing a regular game play through!

7. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    The only games I see myself Nuzlocking are X as it is the one I have the best chance of completing by normal rules. once all my Pokémon and Items get moved over to OR, or Fire Red, which I planned to reattempt with a Naturelocke. THe hard part, either way, is naming all of my Pokémon Leaning toward Fire Red because while I have a physical copy, I could emulate it on Visual Boy Advance and record my sessions, nearly eliminating the need of keeping a detailed journal.
    Let's see, I'm home most of the time, I have a laptop for when I need to write on the go or in my room, and my job is only 1 hour a day, 1 day a week. How can I not find the time? As long as I can keep myself from getting behind, I should be able to pull it off.

8. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    The only games I see myself Nuzlocking are X as it is the one I have the best chance of completing by normal rules. once all my Pokémon and Items get moved over to OR, or Fire Red, which I planned to reattempt with a Naturelocke. THe hard part, either way, is naming all of my Pokémon Leaning toward Fire Red because while I have a physical copy, I could emulate it on Visual Boy Advance and record my sessions, nearly eliminating the need of keeping a detailed journal.
    Let's see, I'm home most of the time, I have a laptop for when I need to write on the go or in my room, and my job is only 1 hour a day, 1 day a week. How can I not find the time? As long as I can keep myself from getting behind, I should be able to pull it off.

9. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,871.5
    You could always go the fanfiction route instead as well.the main challenge here is that itcan be tricky to create a unique storyline that stands apart, yetis also a logical part of the universe. Oh! if you have a ROM you could always randomize it to create a new region that could be explored. Other than that I'm afraid I don't have any other game based ideas, Legend of Zelda perhaps?

10. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    Well with the fanfiction route, that's basically what I was already doing with Pokémon Resonance, which I took a break from because I could not juggle it, my sprite comic, and RPing no matter how hard I tried. Randomizing the ROM? don't know how to do that. Pretty limited with what I can do with my dial-up internet. Heck, I probably can't even update my browser. As for Zelda, I once attempted a Digimon fan fiction based of OOT. It didn't go too well.

Thinking back, watching videos of Super Mario Odyssey gave me a couple of ideas I thought about trying, but they haven't been fleshed out yet. I'm thinking maybe an original fantasy world with very diverse regions. You know how it had the Metro Kingdom and the Sand Kingdom, and the ML RPGs had the Beanbean Kingdom and the Pi'llow Kingdom? Well I thought about doing something similar. Only not beans or pillows and I won't call the m Kingdoms either. If I could get the lore fleshed out before November, I could probably roll with this idea.

11. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,871.5
    I love world building, and would be happy to help if you need it, this sounds like an interesting idea that you could develop nicely.

12. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    I could definitely use the help. One problem: I can't post on my home computer because my browser is outdated, and I can't update it because my net is too slow, and I can't do anything about that because DSL is unavailable where I live. Back on topic, I'm going to have characters that develop mysterious powers. I'm calling these people adepts. I believe two different game franchises use the term. I just need a term for their powers and abilities they develop, and then jump into world building.

13. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,871.5
    I suppose the term depends a bit on what kindof mystical powers are developed, but you are right, I know adeptshas been used before, though, you could probably get away with it depending.

14. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    Your using adepts right? If you can remake these people so they aren't like the original source you took them from then it should be okay. You can also change the setting. To me, a setting that might work is a space setting. Lets say, this space setting is only in large space ship and these large ships travel around meeting other large ships. No planets involved. What do you think?

15. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    I have actually seen two places use the term. The first being Golden Sun and the second being Azure Striker Gunvolt. Of course their powers are going to be a bit broader than being simply elemental like GS (Earth, Fire, Wind/Lightning, and Water/Ice), and they probably will have more than one unlike GV. They might actually be a little closer to the Guard from the I am Number Four series of books.

I actually have a Sci-Fi story already in the works from 2015. It's been sitting around for a while, but I probably shouldn't start a second one of a similar genre until I finish the first to avoid conflicting elements. Especially since it is one I do intend to finish eventually.

16. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    Okay, so it was actually just my computer being weird. First post from home in a while. What if I use a made up word for their powers? For example, Inzenyoku. I typed in the words "latent power" into Romaji to translate it into romanized Japanese, and ended up with this:

隠然たる inzentaru 勢力seiryoku (If the symbols are displayed as squares, I can't help you because they're that way for me too.)

I combined the two words I ended up with. Don't know if I they translate to each other. Disclaimer: I still have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to coming up with a term for an adept's powers. Now that I think about it though, GV could use his powers to heal himself, so to say he could only attack with electricity. The majority of the bosses in his game on the other hand... ANyway, I'm getting off track. If anyone has any suggestions for this term, or thinks mine works, let me know so I can hurry up with the world building and characters.

17. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    And now I remember that I wanted the first character to have Shulk-style visions as a power of his, so I had better steer clear of the possibility of beam swords by not doing much space/futuristic stuff with the story. We wouldn't want him to be a Shulk ripoff.

18. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    For your first idea about the name, I don't know anything about Japanese. However, I do think that any name you come up with will work as long as you like it. The thing about names is as long as you define it, the actual word shouldn't matter. At least, that's my understanding.

19. Nova Ozuka

Nova Ozuka Hex Maniac

Joy
    (Togepi)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.3
    Then I guess I'll go ahead and use my made up Japanese sounding word as a placeholder for now. I suppose I should get to the World Building so I can be ready in time to start writing. The only reason my 2015 NaNoWriMo went as well as it did was because I already had a some of the concepts written out already.

20. HiddenLore

Time Master
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,871.5
    If the powers themselves are called Inzenyoku, would the users be Inzens, or maybe Zenys? Or do they just use the same names?