1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Let's Go New Masuda Interview about Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by Achromatic, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Here's some tidbits from the new Masuda interview about the new games.

• Connecting between your Switch game and Pokémon GO is very simple, basically just the press of a button in both devices.
    • There are supposed mini games for catching Pokémon you transferred to Let's Go.
    • You can trade between the games, and there will be version exclusives.
    • The games are based on Yellow - not necessarily a true remake but he does mention the story follows the same beats.
    • Masuda wants the game to be fun for everyone, but it does seem especially that his goal is for Pokémon GO players and children to really enjoy the game, with perhaps their parents who played the original Yellow helping their kids out.
    • They've been working on this game and the 2019 game side by side for a while, and they still are.
    • Masuda is open to the idea of an open world Pokémon game but doesn't want to stray too far from what people are used to due to the risk of the games becoming 'unapproachable'
    • "The game world, the overworld, the whole map, is very true to the original Pokémon Yellow games. And also the story kind of sticks to the story beats from Pokémon Yellow."
    • Gym leaders are definitely returning, in case there's any doubt.
    Check it out for yourself:
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-borrowing-from-pokemon-go-and-lets-gos-story

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    Friend Ball ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Leaf Stone ★★★Grassium Z ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★
    I really don't like that interview.

Not because of anything to do with Let's Go specifically, but rather it really shines a light on Masuda's priorties.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Apawn

Apawn Modern Gen 2 Artist

Nosejob
    (Nosepass)
    Level 49
    PokéPoints:
    ₽360.7
    Shiny QuilavaQuilava
    Interesting, want to elaborate?

4. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    It's mostly because Masuda is huge on "but the kids!!" (as you can clearly get that vibe from this interview) and he's the main reason why recent Pokémon games have been really hand-holdey. SM have been marketed more towards people getting into Pokémon for the first time and GO players than the actual core series that have been with the franchise for years, and it's pretty self-evident how childlike XY is.

Check out this very interesting tidbit in the interview in regards to making Pokémon more open world:

and check out the very next paragraph:

He basically says that he's afraid of Pokémon becoming too complicated of a game to be more open world, which would put people off. Personally speaking, I think that's a load of crap otherwise Mario and Zelda wouldn't have sold anywhere near where they have, but whatever. I wouldn't say SMO is unapproachable, but who knows really. But I digress. Open-world Pokémon is an entire debate in itself.

I think the more juicy (and relevant) tidbits are here:

As a business strategy, there's nothing wrong with catering to the children as a demographic. The big problem here is when you alter your product to be so "child-friendly" to the point where it starts to put off the more veteran, older audience. The normal response to this would be "but Pokémon is a children's game duh", but I mean... Masuda just said it's meant for everyone... so why is he having such strong influence on continually (pardon my bluntness here) dumbing down the games for the sake of appeasing kids?

My general thing is: Pokémon is not a complicated game. It never was. The hardest thing about Pokémon is memorizing the type chart and even that isn't difficult, because a lot of it is logical. Water beats Fire, Fire beats Grass, Grass beats Rock. Rock beats Flying. It's when you start unnecessarily changing the overall dynamics of Pokémon games based on an assumpion -- or even that fear -- that Pokémon games would no longer be as simple to get into to the point that you refuse to just change the status quo that it starts to become a bit silly.

I feel like this explains why Game Freak is so intent on remaining in their comfort zone for so long because stepping outside of it would mean taking risks and they're afraid that risk would lead to pushing people away when in actuality it could mean attracting more people instead.

/endrant

#4 Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Borie Broer, Gwoomy and Apawn like this.
  5. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,639.1
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    You have a good point here, Azalea...

I just wanted to point that out .w.

Borie Broer likes this.
  6. colours

colours » seedFLARE

Larvitar
    (Larvitar)
    Level 78
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,982.2
    i have no idea what you're talking about

>>

<<

cant believe i missed something like that rip....

7. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    ...Am I the only one that is actually kinda excited about these features? It may be more focused towards kids, but apparently so was Pokémon Go, and Sun/Moon, and those games were still enjoyable. Pokémon is, and always has been, a franchise marketed towards kids that adults still enjoy. We shouldn't just expect Pokémon to change its format because it's something that we've grown out of.
    I'm excited to see the old gym leaders again. Those guys were always my favorite.

8. Halcyon Storm

Halcyon Storm Joking motive

Sewaddle
    (Sewaddle)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,463.8
    The fact that these games are targeted specifically towards "the kids" only opens up the doors for more exciting and difficult main series gen 8 games!