1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

New Pokémon Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Achromatic, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stark

Stark

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    Haha! Using movies to back your claim up is a terrible idea, never ever do this ^^ They are unequivocally wrong and completely irrelevant to real life.

It doesn't have to be a bird in order to be a flying type. Just look at Pokémon such as Gyarados, Fan Rotom, Jumpluff and the cloud trio of Gen V.

2. jetwhiskey

jetwhiskey Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    I'm not obsessed, I just favor them..besides, its not like I want to see it as a bug type, but you can't deny facts. Plus, when have there ever been fairies in Pokémon? You mean like the legendary Celebi, who by the way has insect wings. Show me these so called fairy Pokémon..cause I don't know any. All fairies, throughout Nintendo (especially in Zelda) have been depicted as bugs. This has nothing to do with my liking of bug types, and before the English name was released I thought it was normal, but now that it has been linked to forests and fairies there are only 3 possible types, psychic, grass, and bug, two of which are already taken.

Umm, excuse me, but we're talking a fictional world, and considering Nintendo bases itself on worlds that have little to no basing in reality, I think using a movie based in the fictional world is the best way to claim it. If you think it's irrelevant then you haven't played a single Pokémon game and don't belong here at all...We're talking a fictional world full of creatures that don't even exist.

Also, when were we talking about flying types? We weren't, we were talking about fairies, which have wings, Ninfia/Sylveon has none. There are no similarities between This Pokémon and the ones you have mentioned..Gyarados is odd anyway and I don't see why it's a flying type, Fan Rotom has wind has no wings but has fan blades and could use them in the same way planes do, Jumpluff is based off of a plant that floats through the air, and the Trio are legendary being who ride on clouds...this new eevee carries none of these traits and I doubt it's light enough to float through the air. Saying it's a normal type it one thing, because that's possibly believable, but a flying type eevee with no wings or anything to make it fly? I think not. Even though I clearly don't like this new Pokémon, I still stand by my claim that it could easily be a bug type, considering Grass and Psychic has already been taken, which are traits related to fairies.

Ninfia/Sylveon's name is based off of fictional characters...Nymphs/Fairies and Pokémon aren't real, so stop trying to compare them to real life.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Stark

Stark

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    Other fairies are things like... the entire Egg group called Fairy :D Froslass, Roserade, Clefable, etc. Incidentally, it has no bug Pokémon in it.

The only bugs that currently exist that are remotely close to the stereotypical "fairy" are Volbeat and Illumise, yet they are very clearly fireflies.

There is also the (quite clear, in my opinion) facts that not only Bug/Psychic (?) and grass can be related to forests and fairies. Other types that can be found in forests are very diverse, such as Flying, Ground, Water. In even rarer cases we have normal types, electric, ghost, poison, dark. You can even catch a fire-type (Pansear) and a steel-type (Magnemite) in some Gen V forests. Your logic of forest = bug seems fallible.

4. jetwhiskey

jetwhiskey Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    Fallible, only if you're using it without specifics...in which we are talking speicifically about fairies...not other types that can be found, just fairies. And the egg group makes no difference, beause we are in fact talking about the stereotipically fairy, in which Ninfia's name comes from. The name and design resembles that of the fairies and nymphs you see on other fictional pieces or work. Those other types might be ound in and relating to forest, but are never found relating to the shape or design of a fairy.

Roserade works because it's shape fits the design, and it is grass, Cleffable has those intesting wings that don't resemble any other creature, so it fits, but Froslass I see is mis-grouped, seeing as it is a ghost/spirit/spectre/whisp/ect. and fits no where in the typical idea of a faiy other than it's female charactistics and shape. But, most faires seen elsewhere, in which I mean many nintendo games, fairies are featured having plant-like designs, having this sort of psychic/magic ability, and all have insect wings and are small enough to fit in your palm...therefor the initial idea of a fairy that Ninfia is based from is Psychic/Grass/Bug and possibly normal. It can be normal, and it might very well be, but it also has the possiblity of being bug typed due to the roots of it's name, and could not be grass or psychic seeing that both of those are already taken.

5. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    So the fairy Pokémon don't count as fairies because they don't fit the design stereotype you think fairies should, or do elsewhere. Yeah, okay. :rollingeye:

Well, continue thinking it's gonna be a bug type I guess, clearly your 'favoring' of bugs makes you filter everything through that idea. With nothing confirmed It might be a bug type but I highly, highly doubt it. Well I'm gonna leave it for when it's confirmed instead of conjecturing further, I'm sure you have more and more paragraphs about Navi having wings like a fly which makes it a bug or things of that nature but I think it's looking a little too far into things; instead of looking at other franchises I tend to look at the trends in Pokémon itself, where fairies are not bugs. Gotta say Gamefreak is going about the release of this the right way if they can build such hype with the small leaks.

Potatrobot likes this.
  6. Deltheor

Deltheor The Demon of Shikoku

Cronos
    (Charmander)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,242.8
    I think that Sylveon might be either a Normal or Flying type, but I'm leaning towards flying at the moment. A sylph is a mythical creature that is often tied to the element of air, so that might tie in with its name. I guess we'll just have to wait and see in the end, but that's my guess.

Either way, I like its design! It's not my favorite (pink isn't exactly my favorite color), but it doesn't look bad. I might end up using one when X and Y come out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. froaking#1

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    I think sylveon would be a normal type. I saw real game footage of sylveon. It used 4 different moves. All of them were old moves. I believe those moves were giga impact, swift, trump card, and curse or charge. This actually makes it seem like more of a normal type.

8. Stark

Stark

PokéPoints:
    ₽0.0
    I saw Swift and Trump Card - Any Eeveelution can learn these moves, so its not confirming or disproving anything yet.

9. jetwhiskey

jetwhiskey Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    That's not what I meant...because at the time we weren't talking about the egg group faires, which relate nothing to the fairies/nymphs that Ninfia took it's design and name from, I was mentioning it because Sylveon does not take it's roots from the egg group of Fairy, but from creatures of other fictional worlds. As had been stated the names come from Sylvan and Nymph, which have never had anything to do with the egg group in Pokémon.

Now, as for the bug idea, this has nothing to do with my favoring of them, as I stated, I hope that it's not because I'd like to see something far more insect related, so even if it turns out to be a bug type I wont use it, and that'd be a first for me. I do not filter, I calculate, originally before I knew what the name meant I assumed it was normal because of the color scheme, but then you mentioned fairies and I did the math...fairies relate to three types in Pokémon and maybe a fourth, Grass, Psychic, Bug, and possibly Flying (doubt it though). So my conclusion was that it could either be Normal or Bug, not that it will be, but I'm not seing it as being a flying type at all. I actually wasn't going to mention any other pieces to the fairy mythology, I was just pointing out where my theory stemmed from.

I agree, they have got everyone worked up just over 4 Pokémon, without even releasing any real typing, we're not sure what the secondary typing of the starters will be, or if there will be, and we guess on what sort of type this new eevee could possibly be.

10. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    Please keep on topic, I don't want to have to clean up again.

11. Slugkid

Slugkid Slacker Extraordinaire

PokéPoints:
    ₽50.0
    Back on topic, like Del said, I think it's flying type because of the Sylph thing. I also thought it'd be flying type when it was only called Ninfia only because that's kind of the only type, along with normal, it COULD be. It's also one of the tallest evolutions (Together with Vaporeon), and yet, it's the lightest. I'd imagine a flying type needing to be light.

12. jetwhiskey

jetwhiskey Black Belt

PokéPoints:
    ₽25.0
    I'm waiting on what kinds of bird Pokémon they'll release this time. There have been alot of tropical Pokémon, but not many birds from it, I'd really like to see a Toucan Pokémon. I was also hoping for a woodpecker too, as well as a chicken Pokémon that evolves into a hen that can't fly if it's female, and a rooster that can fly if it's male; and then a Chicken-hawk Pokémon as it's predator/rival.

13. Banshee

Banshee Pokémon Professor

Gregg the Egg
    (Odd Egg)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽62.1
    You know what I would love to see? I really would like to see a wolf oriented Pokémon. Like something that makes you think wolf and not "dog."

14. Potatrobot

Potatrobot Resident Potato

PokéPoints:
    ₽42.0
    I've noticed a pattern among the Eeveelutions and their names. Each name is simply an instance of the type of the Pokémon, with the suffix -eon attached.

So Vaporeon is derived from a vapour of water, Jolteon from a jolt of electricity, Flareon from a flare of fire, Leafeon from a leaf of grass, and Glaceon from a glacier of ice.

Espeon and Umbreon are obvious exceptions because their types aren't physical elements like the aforementioned are, so they're just named after the acronym ESP and the Latin translation of darkness, or something along those lines, respectively.

So, if this little pattern is anything to go by, then Sylveon's association with woodlands could set up a similar example of 'a woodland of grass, bugs, or birds'. Those all fit in, even though 'flying' isn't so much of an element as it is a verb, but considering most concepts for these games are initially planned out in Japanese it's probably a little translation discrepancy.

But besides my own idea on the very thoroughly discussed Eeveelution type topic, there's something else I'll discuss about new Pokémon.

Like Generations 2 to 4, there's a high likelihood that generation 6 will introduce pre- and post-evolutions to existing Pokémon (other than Eevee, of course). Like many members of this forum I have a deep, residing obsession with the Pokémon that features in my avatar/userbar, so my biggest concern is that Weavile might gain an evolution. While this usually isn't a big deal, it took me a long time to warm up to Lickilicky and Ambipom's designs, so I'm worried that it might look... well, stupid.

Does anyone else share a similar concern?

Also, while this next idea isn't strictly about brand new Pokémon, I still think it fits in with this thread. Do you think that alternate forms of existing Pokémon might be introduced? Often, alternate forms mean different stats and abilities, like Arceus and Meloetta. The latter has plenty of fanart concepts following it around, so perhaps we might see a Radiance form introduced as part of the XY Pokédex. There might also be less impacting changes like a male form of Gardevoir (for instance). No stat or typing changes, just a different form, because I'm sure nintendo has received a rainforest worth of angry letters about males that look feminine and just want people to shut up about it.

15. Oim

Oim Banned

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.0
    I'm looking forward to seeing a few new ones based on existing Pokémon. I'd prefer evolutions to new baby Pokémon, they really come off as placeholders for me that are essentially useless if not to fill up a Pokédex before evolving. I'd like to see an evolution for Sandslash and Marowak, give the both of them a 3-stage line. Jynx as well, I sort of consider Jynx, Magmar and Electabuzz as a type of non-legendary trio. They all got baby Pokémon in Gen 2 but only Electabuzz and Magmar got Gen 4 evolutions..it feels like Jynx is due.

New forms are always a possibility but I can't think of many Pokémon that would need them..unless perhaps giving Cobalion, Verizion and Terrakion a form option since Keldeo has one.

16. Typhloser

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.0
    I don't think Weavile would be one to get an evolution.

What I'm thinking is hopefully some of the novelty Pokémon get evolutions. Dunsparce, Farfetch'd, Deliberd, and the like. Or we'll get more novelty Pokémon.

Sylveon, just to briefly add my two cents before I get back into other speculations, seems to be based on kites and wind, which might mean it's Flying. Its Eeveelution opposite might be Jolteon, but it's just a guess.

For the third legendary, if the ones we know are based on Norse mythology, I would like this guy http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4272178/MTWiki/Demon/evildragon/nidhoggr.jpg to be the third member.

I'm actually hoping for a pair of Flying types that are male/female counterparts of each other, based on Pixies and Imps. The Pixies would be hopefully Normal/Flying and the Imps Dark/Flying. Both should have Prankster since Pixies and Imps are known to prank humans. It's wishful thinking, but if the games' are set in Europe, it's possible.

17. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    Deep Sea Scale ★★★Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Star Piece ★★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Dragon Fang ★★★★
    I'd like to see a Pokémon which can only evolve when there is an equal amount of males and females in your party. Maybe even a Pokémon which can only evolve when it has faced like 50 battles or something and then 100 for the final stage.

18. froaking#1

PokéPoints:
    ₽20.0
    Maybe there could be two Pokémon that evolve in a double battle if their levels both go up and when they evolve they also fuse into one Pokémon.

19. Achromatic

Achromatic #TeamMagikarp

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽700.5
    So what do you think of the new Mewtwo looking Pokémon? They mentioned that it's a new Pokémon that looks like Mewtwo, not a form. Could this be Mewthree or a new evolution?

[​IMG]

20. Pixil

Pixil Pokémon Professor

PokéPoints:
    ₽60.7
    I'm going to call it Mewthree unofficially just because I don't know what on earth it is. Pokémon called it a "New Pokémon" but continually emphasizes that it has some sort of relation to Mewtwo that they won't reveal.
    In any case, I'm really disappointed; when I heard a new Pokémon was going to be announced, this isn't what I had in mind...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.