1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Spoilers New Region

Discussion in 'Switch Pokémon Games' started by BZRich64, Feb 27, 2019.

1. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 13
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,658.2
    A new generation of Pokémon games are on their way, and with them is a new region, known as Galar.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not really sure what country or region Galar is based off of yet, but it looks like a very large peninsula. As you can see, it features a very diverse ecosystem, similar to the last few regions. Just from a glance at the map I can see a snow covered mountain range, what appears to be a marsh, a forest, a grassland and a desert-like mountain range. In terms of settlements, I you can see a small town to the south which is likely the player's home, a large city with a big tower that reminds me a bit of London, what appears to be at least four different colosseums, a coastal town with a lighthouse, a giant castle=like city, a mansion surrounded by a snowy forest and a the massive city to the north that I'm guess is probably home to the Pokémon League. My current theory is that this region may be based of of England/Britain but I could be mistaken.

As for the name, my first thought was that it was based off of the word galore, meaning 'in abundance'. Thinking about it a bit more, however, I think that it may be a combination of the garou, an old french word for werewolf that shows up a lot in Japanese media, and valor, which basically means courage (though you should already be familiar with that word, given where we are). My reasoning for this comes from the game logos, which show wolf heads coming out of a sword and shield, respectively (which I'm guessing means that the version legendaries are going to be a pair of werewolf knights, which is awesome).

Of course, this is all my own speculation. Share your own thoughts and speculation about the Galar region.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Wizard likes this.
  2. Jeydis

Jeydis Midnight Gourmand

Boomer
    (Noibat)
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽5,047.8
    Poké Ball ★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Nice to see the UK make an appearance. The steampunk look is really interesting as well, very happy with the region so far.

Those backdrops are soooo nice!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    Interesting that they based it off Britain. Definitely can't wait to explore this one compared to the regions in the last few games after gen 4.

4. Gwoomy

Gwoomy french goo

HOLY SHIT
    (MissingNo.)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽6,620.6
    Dragon Scale ★★★Marshadium Z ★★★★★Helix Fossil ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Animal Crossing Leaf ★
    The map looks amazing. Exploring it looks like fun!

5. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I'm with those above, it definitely seems like England (the standing stones had me thinking Scandinavia though). I see a Big-Ben like tower and something similar to whatever the English Parliamentary building is. Those Nazca Lines are odd, but I suppose we might also see Stonehenge?

The name is odd though. I don't think it's "Galore", it strangely seems closer to "gelid" or cold to me.

6. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I'm very positive Galar is based off of the UK, and I've visited England in the past, so this new adventure is going to bring so much nostalgia. <3

I imagine they may also incorporate Pokémon based off of myths and legends from the medieval times, especially fairies and dragons. That's what I'm most looking forward to, anyway.

7. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    I gotta admit, this looks interesting and massive. It definitely looks European for sure. Reminds me a lot of the UK since the region is quite narrow and water-locked, similar to actual Great Britain. The clocktower resembled Big Ben as London's iconic landmark situated roughly in the same spot of the southern half of the region.

Also the fact that it's sword and shield could mean that the region's lore could be centered around Arthurian legend.

8. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    My first thought was how beautiful it looks! From the official art to the in-game graphics, this region looks lush and beautiful and seems more alive than previous generations. Something I'm hopeful for is a potential inclusion of an Ireland-esque part as well? Maybe unlock it with the postgame or something, idk. They have a lot of islands in the region they could expand to as well if they want.

9. Talarc

Talarc Swimmer

Muro
    (Whismur)
    Level 11
    PokéPoints:
    ₽935.8
    I'm completely convinced that this region is based off the UK. Even leaving Big Ben aside, the scenery in the trailer is very similar to backgrounds I've seen in anime that are set in the English countryside, or in British steampunk cities. Besides, I'd know my home country anywhere!

I'm just trying to work out if this picture is supposed to be north-facing-south or if Scotland just got some serious bragging rights!

10. Glitxel

Mya
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽295.4
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★
    I really love the look of this region! It looks like it would be so fun to go around and explore it. When I saw the steampunk elements in the cities I legitimately freaked out xD. I think steampunk is neat and pretty interesting to put in the setting. I also love all the locales in the trailer like the spooky forest, the farmlands and the snowy place. I cant wait to see more of this region in the future. Its just a tiny shame that they didn't keep the 'All-regions-having-an-O-in-their-name' thing for this one but Galar is still a pretty name