1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Writing Nope, I'm not writing that

Discussion in 'Creative Zone' started by Katanaeyegaming, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Katanaeyegaming

Katanaeyegaming #FEARTHEWYVERN

Darklit
    (Liepard)
    Level 44
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,810.3
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Helix Fossil ★★★
    I saw one of these for drawing and I figured I would ask my fellow writers what wouldn't you write.

For me I'd come and say for the record the one and only thing I will not write is anything related to highschool romance. I want nothing to do with it to read either but when it comes to writing it I feel it is one of the most cookie cutter things you could possibly make and on top of that it just comes out bad.

2. LassusVulpes

LassusVulpes Eclipse Holder

THE BIGGEST FLEX
    (Giratina (Origin))
    Level 55
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,752.7
    Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    Any form of romance, that and anything too boring like long notes,

But also somethin a bit more . . . mhbmfdsh. I dislike writing about different nationalities. it's not that I have anything against them, it's more the fact I lack the knowledge of why and how they do it, that if done improperly can seem racist of sorts, which is why I tend to stir off from that category. as it makes it less awkward to write , allowing me to still enjoy it .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NyxieRina

Cryptid
    (Urufuman)
    Level 8
    PokéPoints:
    ₽460.0
    GS Ball ★★★★★Oran Berry ★★
    I don't write as much as I draw (Since for me writing takes more energy and focus than drawing) but there are a few things.

Whenever I attempt to write angst and/or drama I get burnt out way too quickly. I can read them sort of fine and I can think of scenarios, but when it comes to actually type stuff out I get tired within 5 minutes of starting. Which sucks cause I know that stuff is good character development and plot progression but I just cannot write it well for either RPs or fics.

Another is romance. I have never been in a romantic relationship in my life and only recently started actually liking the genre (I blame the soap operas). I can try but I have no point of reference on how that stuff actually works aside from other works of fiction. Add to that drama and angst and I'm just dead.

WavePearl likes this.
  4. Darcy

Darcy Strongest Blade in Valor

Eurydice
    (Brione)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,068.1
    Philosopher's CowlPsychium Z ★★★★Gardevoirite ★★★★Galladite ★★★★Heart Scale ★★
    I don't think there's any particular genre or type of story I avoid writing. Some I'm just not interested in, like contemporary fiction, as my interest lies more in high fantasy, dystopias, and that sort of thing. But, on the other hand, there are certain tropes I avoid.

One is love triangles. For the most part, I hate love triangles. Some stories do them well in a way that makes sense, but a lot of the time, they come off as forced and only to add Drama. I also prefer to focus on developing a single relationship into a romance - it's more involved, and in my opinion, more interesting.

The other is "regular girl find out she's royalty," or other variations of this trope. I don't find this trope very interesting a lot of the time, and it's a sure-fire way to give your protagonist main character syndrome, which is another thing I try to avoid. There are some ways to make this trope work, of course, and I've used it in the past. But it's done to death, and personally, I'd rather try anything else.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. WavePearl

WavePearl Believer in Possibilities

Cuidachta
    (Corvisquire)
    Level 37
    PokéPoints:
    ₽37,502.1
    @Darcy

A variation on "regular girl finds out she's royalty" is "farm boy finds a magic sword", which can be equally annoying if done wrong. (Zelda, meanwhile, is one of the few and the proud that does it right)

Darcy likes this.
  6. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Nightmare Tala

Hoppip
    (Skiploom)
    Level 28
    PokéPoints:
    ₽16,889.2
    King's Rock ★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Basic Gary Oak ★Darkinum Z ★★★★
    I do not mind writing anything someone asks. I am only not good at writing anything, I am mostly bad with 18+ stuff but I do not mind writing it.

7. Gazi

Lilith
    (Litleo ♀)
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,871.2
    Dawn Stone ★★★★Legendary Triforce ★★Reaper Cloth ★★★
    I don't like writing complete nonsense, where weird things happen just because weird things happen. I need a certain amount of sense in what I write. Even if something out of the ordinary happens, I need to have at least some kind of explanation for it, even if I don't actually put the explanation in my story and just mentally know it myself. I try to make my stories as realistic as possible, even if they're set in a fantasy world with magic.

Pirate Captain likes this.
  8. Mizumanta

Mizumanta Black Belt

Celebi Egg
    (Celebi)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽251.9
    nothing explicit. It's just too cringey to write...Though my view may change in the future. idk.