1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Anime/Manga Nostalgic Anime

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nduns, Oct 6, 2017.

1. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    So, what are some of your favorite anime titles that you grew up with? (As in, you saw them before you turned 13) There are quite a lot for me. Obviously, Pokémon, but like quite a few, I always preferred Digimon for its story, but my personal favorite of the pet monster shows that came out in my youth was Monster Rancher. Mostly for that season 2 finale. The fact that this show for kids had the balls to kill off most of the cast... and then they revived them in the third season.

Sailor Moon's more of an odd case because I liked it as a kid, but then grew out of it when I saw it as a typical girly show. Then I went back to it years later and realized it's better than I remember. (And not for the obvious reason) Though it is fascinating finding out how dumbed down the English dub was. The target audience gap is almost as big as comparing the target audiences for One Piece and its 4kids counterpart.

Both Vision of Escaflowne and Dragon Ball were shows that were definitely more mature, but hey, they were animated. Escaflowne especially blew me away with how different it was from other animated shows I grew up.

But of course, my first anime was Samurai Pizza Cats. One of the rare cases I'm okay with the dub being different from the original.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Furie likes this.
  2. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    Ahhh I have so many anime I look back at fondly.
    Furthest I can remember is of course Pokémon and Digimon but also around that time I had Sailor Moon and Ah! My Goddess! I look back at all four fondly.

Then there was Cardcaptors/Cardcaptor Sakura, Medabots and Hamtaro!! <3 I think I might be most fond of these three as I've gone back and rewatched them a couple of times

I remember Monster Hunter, Yugioh, Dragon Drive and Saint Tail around this time too!! Saint Tail was my first subbed anime I watched I think!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Furie likes this.
  3. Furie

Furie Black Belt

Slagros
    (Umbreon)
    Level 38
    PokéPoints:
    ₽60.9
    Pokémon and Digimon of course. I loved Sailor Moon and Hamtaro, too!

Some that I remember that weren't mentioned here are Ruroni Kenshin, Tenchi Muyo, Zoids and no one mentioned Cowboy Bebop yet? If I think of others I'll make another post but those are the ones I can remember from being younger than 13 when I watched them.

4. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    Cardcaptor Sakura is definitely up there. I haven't seen it in ages though, so I barely remember the story. XD

5. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I actually grew up watching a lot of Speed Racer/Spacecruiser Yamato when I was younger (My dad loved showing me his own favorite old childhood shows) Both of them have really stuck with me because of how iconic their theme songs are. "Mach a go go gooooo!" :3

6. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachiod Machamp

Late For A Date
    (Bunnelby)
    Level 14
    PokéPoints:
    ₽7,010.7
    The anime watched as a kid would be Pokémon, Digimon and Robotech. I know Robotech is actually from quite a bit before my time, but my dad was a fan of it growing up and got the entire series on DVD when I was fairly young, so I still got to watch it as a kid. (He recently got the series on Blu-ray, so he gave me his old set.)
    I also started to watch Yu-Gi-Oh! at first, but after a couple episodes my dad told me I couldn't watch it anymore (I remember him telling me at the time that it was actually my mom who said I couldn't watch it anymore and that he was just the one who was telling me it, but I mentioned it just recently and both my parents said that it was purely my dad's idea that I couldn't watch it. Apparently he didn't want me watching Pokémon either. Glad my mom disagreed with that one.)

7. awney

awney i'm lame

Hoopa Egg
    (Hoopa Egg)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽179.0
    Legendary Triforce ★★
    Zatch Bell. I watched that all the time when I was little. Also Dragon Ball Z! My dad and I would watch it together when I was little!

8. GiratinaMissingNo

GiratinaMissingNo ~Renegade Glitch~

Percy
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽467.5
    I remember a ton of sports anime like Free!, Haikyuu!!, stuff like that. Angel Beats! was another one. Just light-hearted stuff. But everything changed when the fire nation attacked and brought with it animes like Death Note and AOT.
    #MissingNo

9. Sheep

Sheep Supporter

Xerneas Egg
    (Xerneas Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,366.0
    As a kid my life was all about DBZ, Cardcaptors, Sailor Moon, YGO, Megaman NT Warrior (omg the memories)... and a few others I'm forgetting. But those primary ones hit me with waves of nostalgia every time I think about them. ;_; ;_;

10. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    Thinking back some more, I remember watching Kids WB when I was younger. And two of the shows I definitely remember being hyped to watch when I came home were Spider Riders (Which now, looking back, was really kinda hokey XD) and Transformers Cybertron. (Not sure if the second one truly counts as anime, but all the human characters were anime style :P)

11. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    When I was young, I used to watch Pokémon but I preferred Avatar the last air bender. Although it didn't come from japan, I still consider it an anime and one of the best I've ever watched. When I was young, I loved the show for its goofiness but overtime, I grew up and the show grew up with me. I still have such fond memories of waiting for it to come out every Saturday.

12. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    I remember Spider Riders. I remember seeing the ads and thinking it looked stupid, but then I watched it and thought it was pretty cool. Looking back to it now, it's okay.