1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Anime/Manga Obscure Anime

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nduns, Aug 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    I notice this topic did exist long ago, but that thread's locked now, so let's revive this discussion. What are some obscure anime titles you really like and would recommend to people?

To name a recent example, I'd probably have to go with Barakamon. This is such a beautiful series and I get the feeling not of lot of people have heard of it. Plus is contains a great message about how enjoying your work and doing your own thing is more important than whether or not you succeed.

To name a classic example, one of my favorite Shonen titles, Kinnikuman. (At least here, it's obscure. In Japan, it's just as big as titles like Naruto, One Piece and Dragon Ball. Heck, this series even started all those trends people associate with Shonen Jump) Technically, we did get the sequel here, though it was renamed Ultimate Muscle and dubbed by 4kids, so as you can imagine, it's not really an accurate interpretation. (Though to be honest, I vastly prefer the manga. The anime was so heavily edited, it was canned three times because the Japanese hated it. The only reason it was revived twice was because America really liked it at the time) Though to this day, I still prefer the original Kinnikuman mainly for giving the entire cast things to do instead of putting 90% of its focus on the main lead. Also, while most people credit Adventure Time as that big show that started off random and silly and got more serious as it went along, I think Kinnikuman was the first major animated franchise to actually do that. (Starting off as an Ultraman parody and becoming more serious with each story arc)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  2. kindred

kindred Collector

friend
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽205.8
    i dunno if this counts as an obscure anime but i really like kotoura san. it seems not too many people have watched it or heard it. it's super emotional in the beginning but it's so worth watching and i liked it a lot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    "The Boy & the Beast". It's a super good anime film that I highly recommend.

4. Junkrat

Junkrat Demolitions Expert

Articuno Egg
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 6
    PokéPoints:
    ₽571.7
    Park Ball ★★★
    Shigofumi! It's a very mature and unique anime, but I have yet to encounter another person who's heard of it. To name a few more:

- Mahoromatic
    - Yuki Yuna is a Hero
    - Princess Resurrection
    - Maburaho
    - Shinsekai Yori
    - Mononoke

Although to be fair some of these are older (like, they came out in 2006) so I'm not surprised they're obscure ;w;

5. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Not sure if The Boy and the Beast is really obscure since it is talked about a lot. But yes, I agree, that film is a masterpiece. (Though Wolf Children is still my favorite Hosoda film)

6. Skittle

Skittle daijoubu

Swablu
    (Swablu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,602.3
    Comet Shard ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★Whipped Dream ★★★★
    How about combining anime and Shakespeare? If it sounds out there, then you've never heard of Romeo x Juliet, which is... well, the Shakespeare anime. Although not totally accurate to the real play (as this takes place in Neo Verona and there's this whole Capulet family angst thing along with Shakespeare being in the thing for some reason), the similarities are there. I'm still watching it but I'm really enjoying it ^^

7. Anubis the Lucario

Robert
    (Nidorino)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽44.7
    Crown of Valor
    Death Note doesn't seem to be talked about much for how good it is.

8. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    @Anubis the Lucario I dunno, I've seen a LOT of talk about DN.

Anyway, the only one that comes to mind is "Superbook"... and I'm not entirely sure I'd recommend it since it's more for children than teens/adults.

9. Crest

Crest Hex Maniac

Tirion
    (Articuno Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽198.0
    I'm not sure how well known "Happy Happy Clover" and its original manga counterpart is, but I've never seen anyone talk about either before; I've only heard of it at all because the anime was mentioned on Tv Tropes a few times and I had checked out a few episodes just for kicks.

10. Anubis the Lucario

Robert
    (Nidorino)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽44.7
    Crown of Valor
    I'm not saying it's not popular, just that I'm surprised it isn't more popular.

11. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    I dunno, being one of the most popular Shonen titles even to this day is hardly what I'd call obscure.

12. Owly

Owly Friend of the Eco, Foe of the System

Torako
    (Eevee (J))
    Level 9
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,981.7
    Oh, I've heard of Happy Happy Clover - I read all the manga when I was younger. The writer mentioned the anime in his manga once in a while, but I had no idea it was actually out. I may look into it.