1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Obscure childhood games

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by nduns, Sep 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Crown of ValorStaff of Verity
    What are some games you used to play way back when that if you were to so much as mention them to anyone, you'd get weird looks? Well, the N64 was my childhood and I sure rented a lot of games back when video stores existed. Anyway, here are some of the more obscure titles I devoted a large chunk of my time to:

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon/Goemon's Great Adventure- I really wish this franchise had caught on here. It's so fun, hilarious and creative and I consider these two the best installments that came here. It's just a shame they went under so many people's radars.

Chameleon Twist 1/2- A lot of people dismiss these games for their simplicity and how short they were for N64 titles, but I always had a great deal of fun playing these. Yeah, they're not great titles, but they are charming. (Even if the story lines felt like an afterthought)

And my number 1 was Mischief Makers. This game is so inventive. I seriously don't think I've played another quite like it. One thing I adore about this game especially is how it's one of those rare games where every single level gives you something new, not just from a design aesthetic but in terms of gameplay. Seriously, every level introduced a new mechanic. That's impressive.

I was gonna mention Quest 64, but that's not really obscure anymore. It just gets way too much hate from the masses IMO.

Oh yeah, GBC was also my childhood. Well, the most obscure game I owned for that was Metal Walker. Seriously, that game invented Monster Strike's combat system. It really deserved more attention. I also owned Lil' Monster, but even back in the day, I didn't think that game was that great.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  2. AeroHail

AeroHail No dogs on the moon

Eevee (KS)
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 17
    PokéPoints:
    ₽13,295.8
    Love Ball ★★★★★Grassium Z ★★★★King's Rock ★★★
    I used to play this computer game called Hopmon where you were this orb cat thing and you'd navigate mazes and stuff'd try to kill you. I loved this game a lot and installed it on a few friends computers and we all competed to try and get to the last level first.
    [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DiancieIsBae

Merio12
    (Mew Egg)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽187.0
    Yache Berry ★★Amulet Coin ★★★Skull Fossil ★★★
    There were quite a few games on PC I always played as a kid, most of these you've likely never even heard of. Air Strike 3D/2/2 Gulf Thunder, all of the Ricochet games (original, both Lost Worlds, and Infinity), Dino vs Aliens, and a couple others.

4. SnowboundBecca

SnowboundBecca Scarf Enthusiast

Jet Stone
    (Froakie)
    Level 27
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,335.7
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Black Glasses ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★Legendary Triforce ★★
    I once played Digimon World 3 when I was little. Not sure if anyone else knows about it, but it was really fun up until I got stuck on a particular boss that kept de-digivolving my team into rookies, which was super annoying...

5. kindred

kindred Collector

friend
    (Moltres Egg)
    Level 20
    PokéPoints:
    ₽205.8
    I used to play hamtaro ham ham rescue and hamtaro ham ham games as well as rainbow rescue..i think those are obscure..?

6. Vigilance

Vigilance once here, now gone

Fletchling
    (Fletchling)
    Level 54
    PokéPoints:
    ₽404.2
    Master BallGold Bottle Cap ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★Beast Ball ★★★★Staff of Verity
    Ah, I used to play a bunch of such games on Miniclip. Some I remember are Frogger, Commando series and Urban Basketball.

7. Anubis the Lucario

Robert
    (Nidorino)
    Level 18
    PokéPoints:
    ₽44.7
    Crown of Valor
    I would always play a bunch of random games on random websites. Too much to remember. But I liked Miniclip and Coolmath.

8. DeleteAbsol

DeleteAbsol Absol-utely Bad

Pichu
    (Pichu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.9
    Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    There was this one card game I would play on my gameboy advance when I was younger, I forget what the game was called specifically but it was like an introduction to magic the gathering.

9. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    Was it Duel Masters? That game is often seen as an easy version of Magic the Gathering.

10. DeleteAbsol

DeleteAbsol Absol-utely Bad

Pichu
    (Pichu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽20.9
    Deep Sea Tooth ★★★Rage Candy Bar ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★Star Piece ★★★★
    Yeah I think it was, I tried to find the copy of it when I was looking online for ROM's but none of them seem to be what my memory correlates with it.

11. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    I can honestly say that although I've heard of some of these, I've never played any of them (except maybe Frogger Miniclip, maybe).

The first one that comes to mind for me was on N64, Iggy's Wrekcing Balls. It was a racing side-scroller platforming game, and pretty great for its time, though I don't think it ever gained much popularity or a sequel. I still enjoyed hours upon hours of that game's multiplayer mode (the only mode worth playing) with my brothers. I really can't think of something to compare it to directly. Like racing through Kirby 64-like stages with a focus on grappling hook usage, but with Battle Block Theater's focus on chaotic fighting and without any concept of teamwork. Yeah, it was awesome.

There's also Buck Bumble for N64, a VTOL flight/combat simulator that instead of featuring jets and human military, everything was insect and taking place in back yards. You were a bumble bee with a laser gun and bomb drops trying to fight off an invading force of wasps, beetles, and other aggressive insects all of whom also had inexplicable high-tech military. I don't think I ever beat it, because it got pretty darn difficult as I progressed. I might have the skill and effort to beat it now.

I'm not sure how obscure these are, but I'll also say Kirby's Dream Course and Super Mario RPG, since I've heard people say they've never heard of them. Kirby's Dream Course was a Kirby spinoff that was pretty much a golf game with Kirby elements, and was quite awesome. Super Mario RPG is the product of a partnership between Nintendo and Squaresoft that was essentially Final Fantasy Mario, and a precursor to Paper Mario. I tried playing it again 2 years ago or so and it has not aged well. Sometimes the past is best left in memory.

12. nduns

nduns Banned

Legendary Egg
    (Ho-Oh Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽296.5
    SMRPG is one of the most popular SNES RPGs of all time, so not sure if that's obscure. But as for the others, I keep kicking myself for not giving Iggy's Wrecking Balls another chance like I did Glover. Both of those are games I didn't know how to play when I first rented them, and years later, I find out about this rolling mechanic I somehow never knew about and I wanna go back and try it again so maybe I can finally win one of those cups. Buck Bumble is another one I'd like to revisit. I remember finding it kind of frustrating as I'd always die after getting to the last 10-5 enemies of the first level since footage for later levels make it look so good.

13. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    Maybe I just need to hang out with more of a gaming crowd who actually played good SNES games. I remember getting pretty far in Buck Bumble, definitely past the first few levels at least. I seem to remember being inside a hive or something under heavy fire from a dozen or more enemies and turrets, which makes me think I was getting close to the enemy base and maybe beating the game. I need to either dig up that N64 or figure out how to adequately emulate joystick controls, because I'm sure I have better gaming skills now than I did back in... uhhh... year 2000. Seventeen years ago. Yeah I was young, but I feel so old now.

14. Wolf Expert

Wolf Expert Canine Scholar

Wolf
    (Riolu)
    Level 24
    PokéPoints:
    ₽761.2
    Moon Ball ★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Premier Ball ★Friend Ball ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    I used to really like this game called Tumblepop, which was sort of like a platformer where you would suck up monsters into a vacuum cleaner. I'm pretty sure that game was singularly responsible for me needing to wear glasses because I always played it until my vision went blurry. I lost the cartridge though.

I think those were actually pretty popular. At least, I know quite a few people who have played or at least heard of them. I replayed a couple of them recently.

15. SkyBlueFox1

SkyBlueFox1 Black Belt

Rose
    (Ninetales)
    Level 35
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,728.9
    On the one hand, there were a lot of games I've played that I'd call both obscure and not obscure. They're obscure in the sense that they're old and nobody, not even kids, plays them anymore (if you can get them to run on a virtual machine at all, or whatever), but... well, a lot of people my age did.

Like, say, this:

Honestly I'd say most of the edutainment games I played growing up might count under obscure, if mostly because nobody really thinks about them much anymore. I still have a soft spot for them, though, even if all I do nowadays is watch them rather than play them.

16. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    One of my favorite games on the Gamecube was Godzilla: Destroy all Monsters Melee. not sure how obscure that is, but dang, I loved playing it. My favorite character to use was the spiky monster Anguirus.

17. SyWry

Legendary Egg
    (Rayquaza Egg)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,606.1
    When I was younger, my favorite game used to be Ruse yet nobody really new of its existence. Back then, I was obsessed with world war two combat, tech and strategies and so when I got this game it was like a dream come true because it was a strategy game on world war two. It had realistic units (unrealistic spawning of said units) and all the features that made a great strategy game but no one I knew ever heard of its existence. It apparently did so poorly that they cancelled the squeal which I would have bought on the spot.

18. ShinigamiMiroku

Sorceress' Knight
    (Ralts ♂)
    Level 23
    PokéPoints:
    ₽3,354.4
    Red Orb ★★★★★
    My best friend is a HUGE (no pun intended) Godzilla fan, so that was something we'd often play when we hung out on the weekends. My favourite is Mecha-Godzilla, but my friend would always play Anguirus and stomp me flat. XD

19. OzoneFruit

OzoneFruit Made The Arcadia Virus a Cute Anime Girl

Minior (Core Indigo)
    (Minior (Core Indigo))
    Level 3
    PokéPoints:
    ₽788.4
    Lucky Punch ★★★★★Eject Button ★★★★Castelia Cone ★★★Leftovers ★★★★Luxury Ball ★★★
    The missile finger spam was real XD. I loved rolling around as the spikeball. That was always fun!

20. Reckless

Reckless Won't take the easy road

PokéPoints:
    ₽666.6
    Gotta be Glover or Vexx for me. Or maybe the time I played this Spice Girls game. Yeahhhh that was a weird one in hindsight, haha.