1. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Obscure games

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dawn, Nov 8, 2019 at 11:11 PM.

1. Dawn

Dawn La vie est drôle

Cure Melody
    (Meloetta Egg)
    Level 5
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,407.0
    There are hundreds of thousands - if not over a million by now - of video games out there, with more being released on a daily basis. So it is inevitable that in this sea of games, many will fall by the wayside. As big releases that can afford an advertising budget and have the brand name recognition to keep themselves in public eye dominate the mainstream media, many - if not the majority - of smaller games that do not have this will go mostly ignored...mostly.

Of course, there are many people out there, and these games are not difficult to find if you look. Most simply choose not to look. But every game has at least one fan. Except perhaps Fallout 76, but that's neither here nor there for the purpose of this topic.

Are there any video games that it seems like only you have played? Was it a good game that more people should play, or is it obscure for a good reason?

2. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

Sentient Vinyl Record
    (Bronzor)
    Level 22
    PokéPoints:
    ₽144.4
    Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★Thunder Stone ★★★Ice Stone ★★★★
    First is “All Our Asias.” It’s a walking simulator by Sean Han Tani, a Japanese American indie developer from Chicago. While the game is only a few hours long, the abstract electronic soundtrack and philosophical story make for an interesting experience. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re already a fan of the genre. Otherwise All Our Asias would semi dull.

Mibibli’s Quest is yet another 2D platformer from an indie developer. What makes it worth playing is the responsive controls, catchy music, and surreal level design. If there was native controller support and a way to pause the game, I would recommend it to any fans of 2D platformers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gazi

Gazi Rival

Boreo
    (Sail Fossil)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽264.2
    I wish I could say that I'm familiar with really obscure games, but I think it's more like I'm super into games that people had heard about and hyped about when they first came out, but then fell by the wayside shortly afterwards. Games that are fairly new and were fairly hyped, but I don't see many people talking about (for all I know, everyone's talking about them, and I'm just not hearing it). So I guess they're more underrated games then anything, but I'm going to go ahead and share them anyways.
    Mostly I'm talking about Yooka Laylee and Deltarune (unpopular opinion here...I actually prefer Deltarune to Undertale, because so far it's shorter and while you can still screw up your desired gameplay pattern just as easily, the consequences won't be as severe (and you don't have to go to such extreme lengths to start the game over fresh)).

4. Wizard

Wizard Competent Maid

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 79
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,903.1
    I know that licensed games are normally sub-par, but Over the Hedge made for a decent beat-em-up on the PS2 and GC. Had a lot of fun with that one. Another one I love is a side-scrolling beat-em-up on the GBA: Batman Begins. Surprisingly, this one is also pretty fun and uses gadgets pretty well. Not gonna lie, I like the gameplay more than the Arkham games. One last title would be Pinobee for the GBA. It is pretty heavily inspired by the original Sonic titles and is a pretty decent platformer in its own right with multiple endings. Not a particularly notable game, but a fun time if you come across it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RadEmpoleon

RadEmpoleon Empress of Randomness

Big Boi Bug
    (Whirlipede)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽680.0
    Comet Shard ★★★★Poké Doll ★★Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    Have any of you guys heard of a game called “The Legendary Starfy”? I don’t know how obscure it is, but I haven’t heard people talk about it that much. That game was my childhood. It had a cute little storyline, cute characters, decent music, and fun little mini games. I’d say it’s a pretty good game for casual players.

6. BZRich64

BZRich64 The Mustachioed Moderator

Creepee
    (Halloween Eevee)
    Level 10
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,873.2
    One example that comes to mind is the old A Bug's Life game on PC. Its one of my favorite games from when I was a kid and while I haven't played it in years I think it would probably hold up fairly well in terms of gameplay (though probably not graphics). Bugs Bunny Trapped in Time is also a really good early 3D platformer that I have a lot of fond memories of and is probably still pretty good apart from the outdated graphics.