1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Obtaining the Starter Pokémon!

Discussion in 'Pokémon General' started by Wizard, Jul 27, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wizard

Wizard Do you feel it? The moon's power!

Cupidueye
    (Decidueye (Cupid))
    Level 113
    PokéPoints:
    ₽9,269.2
    In Pokémon Yellow, you have the opportunity to do something that isn't available in any other mainstream Pokémon game (at least I believe so): you can obtain all three of the typical starter Pokémon in the same runthrough, and at a nice early time too.

Did you obtain the starter Pokémon in Yellow? Did you actually use them? What did you think of this feature? Should they bring it back for future games?

I'm currently playing Pokémon Yellow, and I absolutely love how I can have all three of the starter Pokémon at once, as they are easily some of the best Pokémon in the game. I DEFINITELY want them to do more things like that in the future, because playing through the game three different times just to try different Pokémon is pretty lame, imo. Not only is this easier for completing the Pokédex, it is more fun for people to have more options.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hraesvelgr

Hraesvelgr Snek in Your Boot

Zapdos Egg
    (Zapdos Egg)
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽11,794.7
    Trainer Card - Cave ThemeDragon Fang ★★★★Philosopher's CowlWater Stone ★★★Great Ball ★★
    I used Charizard when I got it because I'm Charizard trash and love him too much to not use him. I later used Blastoise too but I'm still not too fond of Venusaur, sorry big guy you're just not a favorite.

I absolutely loved Yellow as a kid since you could get all three starters so I didn't have to trade or restart to get them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Cadbberry

Cadbberry Dad: 76.... Or Cad: 76

Cosmo
    (Eevee (KS))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽654.3
    Marshadium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Mewnium Z  ★★★★★
    In yellow I never used them, I just used Pikachu, never the other three starters. I think that we shouldn't get the other starters until post game, for me I feel like it takes away from the bond you get with your starter

4. Pixel

Pixel Aether Child

Thamill
    (Larvitar)
    Level 16
    PokéPoints:
    ₽274.5
    Ice Stone ★★★★Lucarionite ★★★★Dawn Stone ★★★★Decidium Z ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I've never played Yellow, but I'm aware on how the 3-starter system works, as it's supposed to mirror Ash's journey through the anime, in which Ash eventually owns all 3 starter Pokémon. I'm also aware that you can only receive these starters if your original starter, Pikachu, has high happiness, but the happiness system in this game can be easily broken as soon as it's started, so I feel like these starters are redundant if you collect them as soon as possible because you basically cheated.

But if I were to play Yellow, I'd probably end up with all 3 starters on my team, plus Pikachu, solely because the starters are some of the best Pokémon for their typings in the first generation.

5. Nate

pooper scooper
    (Meltan)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽121.9
    This, pretty much. I used Charizard because I think he's awesome. Thankfully, in Yellow they gave him the ability to learn Fly. I think this is a feature that should stay in the past, though. I think it kind of makes the starts feel less special, all being handed out in the same game.

6. LostSpirit

Odd-ish
    (Oddish (J))
    Level 21
    PokéPoints:
    ₽995.7
    I did! I used Pokémon Yellow as my personal anime simulator simulator tbh. I played like I was Ash.

7. Aiko

Aiko Anti-Shadow Weapon

SS Egg #2
    (Dialga Egg)
    Level 36
    PokéPoints:
    ₽866.2
    Lure Ball ★★★★Friend Ball ★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Ultra Ball ★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★
    I did, but only used them when needed, bulbasaur in cerulean, charmander in celedon, etc. I thought it was really cool that you could get all of them though, especially since that's how it happened in the anime!

8. Raizek

Raizek Bug Catcher

PokéPoints:
    ₽30.1
    Can't remember what I did when I first played Pokémon Yellow, I think I used Bulbasaur or Charmander and never got Squirtle. But I can't remember exactly what I did. What I do remember is what I did a few months ago when I played Yellow again in my 3DS. I got Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle but didn't really use them. I wanted to catch Pokémon that I don't usually catch or use in the maingame and it felt refreshing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.