1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lake Valor!
    Catch, train, and evolve Pokémon while you explore our community. Make friends, and grow your collection.

Login or Sign Up

Oh, ****!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dawn, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero The second seal

Jeff
    (Spinarak)
    Level 19
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,869.8
    It's really a disgusting thing to do to a child, and may very well classify as abuse. Today I've got pretty bad digestive issues, and I can't help but wonder: was that soap antibacterial and did it kill off part of my gut flora that lead to indescribable pain and misery and thousands upon thousands of dollars of medical bills and various other damage compounding with injury and disease in my life that only started 15-ish years later after something else ignited the problems, keeping me in constant multi-angled torment and teetering on the edge of death for years? Was all that because my superstitious parent decided to punish me poetically for a crime both mundane and victim-less?

The best thing to do would have been to sit me down and explain to me the gravity of word selection and the importance of presenting myself well with proper communication, how all of that is significant even as a child. Not putting something that kills bacteria into the body of your child, a thing that contains multitudes of bacteria that he needs. Damn stupid for a parent to do something like that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Vaporstar4x4

Stephy
    (Jirachi Egg)
    Level 25
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,087.7
    I grew up in a family with a lot of swearing. My parents always swear and I've been pretty used to it throughout my life. When growing up, for as much as they swore, my parents taught me not to swear. I tried to follow the rule for as long as possible but, once I got to high school I started to swear a bit. It wasn't much at first, but as time went on I became a horrible foul mouth by the end of my senior year, probably due to other students language and general stress.
    I tried very hard to limit foul words to school and not talk like that at home. It worked for the most part. But I was unhappy with myself at how easily and often an f-bomb would slip into my words. So, during the summer between high school and college, I trained myself to limit swear words. I even created other words to use rather than swears such as boosh, shite, digity darn, and a weird flick sound with my lip to use instead of the f-word.
    It's been about half a year since I started that and I'm proud to say I'm still creating odd and new ways to safely curse.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. luxuryluxray

luxuryluxray make a wish!

Grass
    (Tangela)
    Level 2
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,543.0
    Ice Stone ★★★★Water Stone ★★★Charizardite X ★★★★Waterium Z ★★★★Comet Shard ★★★★
    I don't swear, I'm a pure vanilla bean lol. Swearing just doesn't fit who I am, and it's not a thing I feel the need to do.

As for if I find it offensive, I don't like it, but I can handle hearing a bit before I become too uncomfortable. Reading is better, since I don't have to physically hear it.

PoserPanda likes this.
  4. Mandriel

Mandriel Valor Knight

Agravaine
    (Giratina Egg)
    Level 15
    PokéPoints:
    ₽34.9
    Red Orb ★★★★★Tapunium Z ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★GS Ball ★★★★★Galladite ★★★★
    I'm Australian, so I swear pretty much every day. I've become desensitised to casual swearing, and I usually don't think about it (unless I'm around kids or at work. Then I make an effort not to). I don't go out of my way to curse and I don't do it excessively (I often use substitues like 'frick' and 'darn'), but it's not something I go out of my way to avoid around people I know. I honestly forget that 'hell', 'damn', and 'bastard' are considered curse words by some people :P

... It's kind of ironic that I have no problem with swearing in real life, but I feel weird when I put it in my writing. Maybe it's because I don't know who might be reading? No idea, but I find it funny.

5. Neb

Neb Cosmog Enthusiast

AZ
    (Flabébé (O))
    Level 12
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,240.2
    GS Ball ★★★★★Love Ball ★★★★★Poké Ball ★Potion ★Oran Berry ★★
    I used to despise saying or hearing any sort of profanity. Now I’ll let one slip if I stub a toe or get frustrated enough in a video game. I can tolerate hearing cursing as long as it isn’t used multiple times in one sentence. At that point it just sounds grating to me.

6. Sethal

Sethal Vibing to OST

Aurile
    (Alolan Vulpix)
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,428.1
    Comet Shard ★★★★Star Piece ★★★★Cooler Gary Oak ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Thunder Stone ★★★
    Normally (that's most of the time), I don't. Don't see any sense in doing so.
    Even when I swear, I don't intend it, it's a spontaneous reaction. Also, I've to watch over my language where I live, so it's not like I had many opportunities to do so.

7. ChocoChicken

Krysmus Azelv (lol)
    (Krysmus Azelv)
    Level 34
    PokéPoints:
    ₽10,275.0
    Misty's EmblemLegendary Triforce ★★
    I cuss sometimes IRL but never online unless it's REALLY bad. I've been trying to get into the habit of using "peck" more though as a replacement. It's working online. Not so much in real-life, unfortunately. I do use "fudgerigars" when I can though.

8. Sylphiel

Sylphiel Swimmer

Volcanion Egg
    (Volcanion Egg)
    Level 4
    PokéPoints:
    ₽568.2
    I'll actually swear quite a bit at times, especially if I'm mad or excited, but I do hold it back if I'm in company that I'm sure won't appreciate some of the words I tend to use. I don't mind using or hearing the words at all, but I try not to offend those that would mind.

9. Cherry3Fairy

Kantoni
    (Eevee (K))
    Level 1
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,063.7
    Black Glasses ★★★★Red Orb ★★★★★Water Stone ★★★Deep Sea Scale ★★★
    I'm trying not to but once in a day or two, words(which are not so bad, Ig 98% not bad) slip outta my mouth. Man, no, Cherry, don't!

10. BraviaryScout

BraviaryScout Way of the Wind

Bravo
    (Braviary)
    Level 66
    PokéPoints:
    ₽2,847.3
    Crown of ValorPoké Ball ★
    I swear like a damn sailor. That's what happens when you're in the workforce for too long XD

11. PoserPanda

SS EGG 2
    (Giratina Egg (Altered))
    Level 74
    PokéPoints:
    ₽1,173.3
    Trainer Card - Cave Theme
    I didn't start swearing until I started fanatically watching Rooster Teeth. Afterwards, it would show up in my conversations online with other people, if someone was upset. I have cut down on swearing now, as I don't think it is appropriate for anyone of any age to speak those words. I even have a web filter that replaces all curse words with substitutions. I don't like watching Rooster Teeth anymore, and I don't like watching movies or reading books that have excessive amounts of bad language. Which basically means I only watch family or kid's movies. I feel like people should be able to control themselves better in public, and I wish that it was less acceptable for people to use foul language. I mean the main purpose behind a swear word, is to be offensive. Or rude. Or because someone can't think of a big enough word to compensate for the bad thing or things happening to them. I like to use substitution words even whilst I'm talking to people, not only online. I can say that it is not easy to stop a habit from continuing, especially when most of the people that my husband is friends with, tend to use curse words as easily as it is to take another bite of my sandwich.
    Yum.

I usually try to recommend friends or family (if necessary,) to speak politely around me. Strangers are different, as it can be hard to try to change someone's opinion about swearing, if I'm not going to be around them constantly. Oh if only I had a filter for the words people say outside of my home. Maybe the world would be more quiet. Or more weird.
    "What the Funky Rice Cheese are you glaring at?"
    "Your Damp car is parked over the lines!"
    "Don't you talk to me about my parking, you Monkey Feather!"